Firearms on the way to the permission

Goodness me, there has been some rubbish written here.

Whilst we should all follow best practice, the OP asked what the law states and the law can easily be seen in the Firearms Act.

It is NOT illegal to have the bolt in a rifle.

A rifle does NOT need to be in a slip or case.

It is NOT illegal to have ammo in the magazine.

Why oh why do some dream up laws that do not exist.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry wot is the nonesense?

Legally if u have gun and ammo at same time u are in charge of a 'legally' loaded weapon no matter where the bullets are, that is not a problem as long as u have a good reason to posses, so either traveling to ur ground or to a gunshop/smith.

Again "legally loaded' where in Law does it say this?

I have looked through the firearms act and can't find a definition other than this.....

a shot gun or an air weapon shall be deemed to be loaded if there is ammunition in the chamber or barrel or in

any magazine or other device which is in such a position

that the ammunition can be fed into the chamber

or barrel by the manual or automatic operation of some

part of the gun or weapon.

Any doubt u'd be better asking ur org,

I have definately read it, it refers only to FAC's, it states something along the lines of its considered loaded if u are in possesion of both rifle and ammo and does not state ammo has to be in or near rifle

There is a different part that applies to airguns where it states it is loaded if a pelet in the barrel wether or not it is cocked

Ps it's section 19 of firearms act carrying a weaapon in public part c or d.

Strictly speaking it does not define it as being loaded, but says u can't carry the rifle and ammo in public without a reasonable excuse and makes no mention of where ammo is or how its stored as long as ur are in possesion of it

But for the earlier part about shotgun it mentions it being loaded.

Think the airgun part has now changed since i was a boy, as now an offence to carry 1 even if empty without an excuse

Edited by scotslad

Any doubt u'd be better asking ur org,

I have definately read it, it refers only to FAC's, it states something along the lines of its considered loaded if u are in possesion of both rifle and ammo and does not state ammo has to be in or near rifle

There is a different part that applies to airguns where it states it is loaded if a pelet in the barrel wether or not it is cocked

For me the Police can only enforce Law and if its not in the Firearms Act I can't see it being legally enforceable. The section below is from the act and does not support what you have read. I by no means wish to argue but I am happy to debate

19 - Carrying firearm in a public place.A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F45(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.]

a shot gun or an air weapon shall be deemed to be loaded if there is ammunition in the chamber or barrel or in any magazine or other device which is in such a position that the ammunition can be fed into the chamber or barrel by the manual or automatic operation of some part of the gun or weapon.

A loaded magazine not on a weapon does not mean the weapon is loaded according to the act, and that is what counts in court. Even a poor legal advisor would walk you away from any charge in my opinion.

However, I can well imagine that it is advice given by shooting organisations and even FEO's

Edited by Delboysparky

Whilst we should all follow best practice, the OP asked what the law states and the law can easily be seen in the Firearms Act.

This is the correct answer. I've asked basc a few times on this.

There's only 2 organisations you need to ask & that's BASC & your Area Firearms office.Me personally irrespective of any LAW is that my mag is empty and in my pocket and the bolt is on my belt.I don't mix up the bolts because the 243 is a monster compared to the rimmy.This has always been my practise,imagine I'm filling up with fuel & go to pay and the vehicle (locked)is stolen,the rifle is in the car but thankfully the bolt and mag are with me.

Edited by Davyo

So how do folk with a semi auto 22 manage to get it out the house?

The chances of a LOCKED car being stolen from a pertrol station are proberly pretty slim and even then it's hardly ur fault for the short time it is sitting there, not like it has been parked up for hours/overnight

No saying its not best practice to carry bolt seperately BUT legally u don't have to, infact legally u can carry it almost any way u want as long as u have good reason

So take wot ever safety precautions u have to and if u feel safe to travel with bolt in do it

+1

Loaded means rounds in magazine or breech.

Magazine attached....

How on earth can a charged magazine in your pocket mean a firearm is loaded....!

" with a magazine of 30 rounds load". Some will have heard that a few times....

The action of placing the magazine on the rifle "loads" it

+1

Loaded means rounds in magazine or breech.

Magazine attached....

How on earth can a charged magazine in your pocket mean a firearm is loaded....!

" with a magazine of 30 rounds load". Some will have heard that a few times....

The action of placing the magazine on the rifle "loads" it

S19 requires good reason for firearm and ammunition in a public place. Clearly goin to or coming from shooting related activities is good reason

Legally if u have gun and ammo at same time u are in charge of a 'legally' loaded weapon no matter where the bullets are, that is not a problem as long as u have a good reason to posses, so either traveling to ur ground or to a gunshop/smith.

It states on my FAC that the mag has to be empty to and from the range.

There is no legal requirement to remove a rifle's bolt when travelling too or from a permission, nor to removing a mag. Having a loaded firearm in a public place without good reason is where you'll come unstuck. Good practice and safe handling will lead everyone to choose how they want to exercise gun control within the bounds of what's legally required. Keeping a loaded firearm in a vehicle is asking for trouble. An unloaded firearm is not. Common sense applies.

There is no legal requirement to remove a rifle's bolt when travelling too or from a permission, nor to removing a mag. Having a loaded firearm in a public place without good reason is where you'll come unstuck. Good practice and safe handling will lead everyone to choose how they want to exercise gun control within the bounds of what's legally required. Keeping a loaded firearm in a vehicle is asking for trouble. An unloaded firearm is not. Common sense applies.

Best reply yet; its just common sense.

Not read it all yet but does this help?

It can't hurt to have ammo, bolt and unloaded mag separate can it?

You could then propose you had done your best for security/situation?

Quote From Firearms act.
19Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F1(a)

a loaded shot gun,

(b)

an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©

any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)

an imitation firearm.]

Any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm.

Whether the magazine is filled or not, it makes no difference to the possession in a public place.

I always travel with bullets bolt and rifle separate. Once arrived on any permission it doesn't take more than 2 mins to prepare yourself to be able to shoot your target.
Does anybody really need to be prepared before they leave the house.
They must think there on the front line or something as soon as the rifle comes out of the cabinet..

Edited by Dougy