Firearms on the way to the permission

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delboy is right, legally even having bolt out and bullets in pocket ur gun is still classed as 'loaded', so will make no odds legally

I often travel to my gound with bolts in but no mags, it means u have definately got the right bolt for the right rifle as i store them seperately, but travel home with bolts/mags removed

With a 22 semi u can't remove the bolt.

Sorry didn't mean it like that, in my opinion it's just bad practise,when I used to travel the bolt wasn't even kept with the rifle.It was always on my person,just in case me & the rifle became seperated for example filling up with fuel on the way to my perm.

these are just questions, this time last year i was a part time shooter ( once in a blue moon) now I'm running a shoot but still very much a novice, so these are just the unknown i have had in my head from day one and information is hard to get, so all i really want is best practice. Its no hardship putting in bolts and mags at permission but i wondered what the actual law is on it

jamie

these are just questions, this time last year i was a part time shooter ( once in a blue moon) now I'm running a shoot but still very much a novice, so these are just the unknown i have had in my head from day one and information is hard to get, so all i really want is best practice. Its no hardship putting in bolts and mags at permission but i wondered what the actual law is on it

jamie

Not sure what other peoples experience are of Firearms licensing teams are but I have always found them to be more than happy to answer questions regarding firearms ownership, transport etc. I often call them as part of my work and have a few contacts so if you have any questions I would be more than happy to ask them for you.

Better to ask than fall foul in my opinion.

I used to carry them seperately but once turned up with wrong bolt, school boy error just lifted the wrong bolt not really looking/thinking thats why i now put the bolt in.

But u also can never be to safe just got to make sure ur happy with the way u do it and not to get too complaceant further down the line

No !!!!!! Ammo in mag counts as a loaded rifle ! It doe's not matter where you put the mag, if its got rounds in the mag Your rifle is loaded

As said. The same applies to air rifles. Those spare magazines for your S410 / HW110 that you carry in the car fully loaded are breaking the law, surprising as it may seem, even if not fitted to the gun.

No !!!!!! Ammo in mag counts as a loaded rifle ! It doe's not matter where you put the mag, if its got rounds in the mag Your rifle is loaded

Is this detailed anywhere in the Home Office guidance or somewhere similar? I only ask as the legislation makes no distinction in relation to loaded mags that I can see.

wow that seems a bit ott

I can't find that in the Firearms Act, and I don't believe that a loaded mag constitutes a loaded weapon looking at the definitions. A firearm is taken as a separate item than a mag.

Hopefully someone will come along and clarify.

Edited by Delboysparky

The law is slightly different with airguns, but with a FAC its calssed as loaded even if bullets are lose in ur pocket or in there box in glove compartment.

Think loaded is if bullets are in ur possesion and its irrelevant wether in rifle/breech or mag or loose

But even with an air rifle ur still not breaking the law as long u have a resonable excuse as coming going to ur shooting, it is legal to travel to/from ur ground with 1 up spout VERY DANGEROUS THOU and not advising it but legally ok.

I wouldn't worry to much if its safe is the main thing. If going to from ur ground u have reasonble excuse to have both ur rifle and ammo so legally ur covered and work out wot u find to be the safest way

Also if ur in any doubt on legal stuff i'd give basc a phone if ur a member, some very good advice given on here but most won't stand up in court if u have misread it or it was wrong/bad advice

Edited by scotslad

Well. This started off as a sensible question looking for a simple answer and having read the advice it looks to me like no one has a definitive position as to what the law is?

Am I wrong or is the law not clear?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27

Unless its specifically specified on your FAC (in which case you would be guilty of Non-compliance with condition of firearm certificate contrary to Section 1(2)) then I can't see an offence nor can I see it written in legislation that a loaded mag means a loaded firearm. A firearm is specified as a lethal barrelled weapon, and makes no mention of mag.

​I believe this is advice that has probably been embedded in folklore and now a 'pseudo-Law'.

​But as always healthy debate is always welcome and I am more than happy to be corrected if evidence of this specific law can be produced.

Worth noting I don't advocate poor gun safety, I am talking about the specifics of law.

Edited by Delboysparky

with a FAC its calssed as loaded even if bullets are lose in ur pocket or in there box in glove compartment.

Think loaded is if bullets are in ur possesion and its irrelevant wether in rifle/breech or mag or loose

it is legal to travel to/from ur ground with 1 up spout VERY DANGEROUS THOU and not advising it but legally ok.

there is a load of nonsense in that post. Bolts in is OK, BUT >> not ammo even in a mag. It is classed as having a loaded weapon in a public place even if it is in the boot of your car. Tickets state >> Authorized to posses. X ammo. How do you get your ammo to the field if it isn't in your motor or your pocket? do you get your RFD to accompany you?

there is a load of nonsense in that post. Bolts in is OK, BUT >> not ammo even in a mag. It is classed as having a loaded weapon in a public place even if it is in the boot of your car. Tickets state >> Authorized to posses. X ammo. How do you get your ammo to the field if it isn't in your motor or your pocket? do you get your RFD to accompany you?

Sorry wot is the nonesense?

Legally if u have gun and ammo at same time u are in charge of a 'legally' loaded weapon no matter where the bullets are, that is not a problem as long as u have a good reason to posses, so either traveling to ur ground or to a gunshop/smith.