Eley Fourlong too weedy?

Through my Hushpower 410 last night after rabbits I shot 4 pigeons ( you can hear the shot hit the bird) at between 25 and 40 yards (at a guess) and they all flew on, previously I have found I get quite a few runners with these cartridges, are the too 'weedy'? I have used the magnum subsonic which seems quite loud..

I only use eley 3" 18grain magnum in my hushpower Mossberg in either sonic or subsonic number 6 tried number 7 and my gun hated them

There is not much difrance in the noise between the sonic and sub's ..however there is always noise but it is very suppressed... Take you silencer off and you will see what I mean

Superb rifle I do use the four long but only at sub 20 yard range.after that the spread is quite wide I have also tried lots of other cartridge's including lyavale which were the dirtiest. Smoking. Cartridge's I have ever shot..steer clear

Also 40 yards is a bit long for a 410 which is actually full chocked at 25 yards unlike the larger gauges

Edited by psycho

I've been shooting a few different cartridges recently, and the Fourlong are certainly the quietest, with or without the moderator on.

Someone else did a load of velocity testing on 410, and found the Fourlongs to be horribly slow.

Somewhere on this site is a thread about .410 cartridge speeds, interestingly as Eley Fourlongs were the slowest by far, travelling something in the region of 800ft/s, which seems to account for their quietness, other Eley .410 cartridges were far faster. I used to use fourlongs in #6 and #7 but found Eley Traps #7.5 14g worked better for me at the same distances, Traps sound far louder which I would put down to increased speed.

Through my Hushpower 410 last night after rabbits I shot 4 pigeons ( you can hear the shot hit the bird) at between 25 and 40 yards (at a guess) and they all flew on, previously I have found I get quite a few runners with these cartridges, are the too 'weedy'? I have used the magnum subsonic which seems quite loud..

Fourlongs (at 12.5g) will only pattern to 25 yards no matter whether 5,6 or 7.

If your gun can take 3", go to 18g no7, or if just 2 1/2, look for a trap load of 14g No7.5

I don't know what it says over a chrono but the magnum and subsonic magnum are almost identical with shot weight etc, only difference being powder with 15.5gr v's 13.1gr respectively of what appears to be Vectan sp3.

That 2.4 grains should make about a 100ft/sec difference and most likely either side of the sound barrier.

Used the subsonic Eley's, Lyalvale #5 3 inch, RC 3 inch and I am back to Fiocchi 3 inch magnums. They have been the most consistent in both my Mossy moderated pumper and the Yilditz o/u,s. I only shoot full choke and agree 40yrds is pushing it, although I did kill a crossing cock pheasant at 60 paces, stone dead with witnesses and that was with the Huglu side by side I also have. Put the tape measure down and you will realise that 40yrds is a lot further than you thought. The RCs did kill well but after about 1 in 10 shed their cases up the barrel with the shot I will not be buying any more. I could not really detect any difference in sound between the supposed subsonic Eley 3 inch and any other 3 inch cartridge other than the RCs which did have a 'smack' with them, promoting my neighbour to believe I was firing my full bore rifle.

I have not seen those Cheddite, must look them up.

As I have discussed with "Elvis" I've tested a lot of cartridges through my Hushpower recently and found the Fourlongs to be the quietest but also pretty weedy so I only use them for very short range stuff now. Makes sense I suppose - only 12.5g and slow can't be hard hitting.

The Express Magnasonic (subsonic) 3" 17g #5 are nice and just as quiet but again to be quiet they have to be quite slow, but I find them pretty good for your average 410 ranges.

I took a shot at 3 rabbits sat 15 yards in front of me with them the other day and hit one, the other two ran at me! I managed to get another with a second shot but I don't think they knew where it came from with it being quiet. I'm pretty sure if I'd had my 12 gauge they would have scattered in the other direction.

I also have the standard barrel for my Mossberg for shooting the odd clay day or when there's no need to be quiet and then I use Fiocchi Magnum 3" in #6 or #7.5 which are English 5 and 7.

They go off with a right bang similar to my 20 gauge but seem to hit pigeons hard at distance.