Advice re electric.

scorpius

We recently had burglars and they cut the cables to both outside lights, these were protected by a 13 amp fuse, if I replace them using a 60 amp fuse would this act as a deterrent to future cutting, the lights would have been on because they are operated by PIRs.

Run an open loop alarm cable in a bundle with the power cables and tape it all up to protect (hide) it, if the same lot come back and cut through the open loop will be broken and alarm will sound.

Do this. What's the thinking behind the original plan ?

If it's to give the burglar a shock sounds dangerous and could land you in deep trouble if someone gets badly hurt. Even if they are scum unfortunately.

The scumbags won't know what size fuse you've fitted so the only thing you risk doing is either burning your house down (or at least the fuse not tripping when it should) and potentially giving someone a mains shock.

Armoured/ hidden or alarm cable (as above) are preferable. Maybe get some CCTV? The kits you can get now are quite good; HDD record, watch via wifi, motion alerts etc.

Just out of interest did you have the wires going up to the light or coming down to them if the wire was low then all they would need is some snips with thick rubber grips if the wire was high they would need some sort of steps to get up to it all takes extra time.

The idea way is to drill a hole through the wall so there are no wires visible.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

We recently had burglars and they cut the cables to both outside lights, these were protected by a 13 amp fuse, if I replace them using a 60 amp fuse would this act as a deterrent to future cutting, the lights would have been on because they are operated by PIRs.

NO NO NO

Fuse is there for a reason

I thank you all for your advice, what I find is so annoying is that when I put in a claim into my insurers for the loss of 2 strimmer's, chain saw, pressure washer, many power tools,

John Deere ride on mower plus trailer, "Saga" informed me that the mower is classed as a motorised vehicle and not covered (replacement cost £6400) my advice to all is check your insurance small print, I didn't to my cost.

I am no expert but I doubt very much if a 13 amp fuse was the correct size anyway, in simple terms the fuse size is determined by the current draw of the device and the load capacity of the cable. An outside light I would guess if properly installed would be fed with 1.5mm twin and earth and protected by a 5a trip / fuse either via a switched fused spur from the ring main of directly into its on feed on the consumer unit.

Your lights were incorrectly fused to start with. I you were to electrocute some one you would be held responsible.

A Cctv system would be good to collect evidence. You could set up high level pir unites to activate an alarm to wake you up if your in. Perhaps a water spray system activated by pir with coloured dye in it.