Decorating dilema

henry d

Okey dokey, I have been busy with renovating my upper floor of my house (Built in the early `70`s) and I have removed some walls and replaced them with plasterboard. the older walls were also plasterboard but obviously the sands of time along with kids, decorating, moving furniture has taken it`s toll on them and even though I have taped the joints and filled/sanded the dings etc. with the first coat of white emulsion it is fairly obvious which are the older/newer walls.

My question is should I just paint the walls the cream colour my lovely wife has picked, or use lining paper first then paint it ?

Many thanks for any (relevant) replies :good:

I'll be the only optimist here, as long as you've used tapered boards then taped the joints then used board filler on all joints and screw holes you should be fine. The board filler is very easy to sand so if it doesn't look brilliant sand it down. Then paint and then paint again. If however you decide to line make sure its all painted first then if you do need to take the lining paper off it won't come with the surface layer of the board.

p.s I'm only an enthusiatic DIYer but mine looks fine

I have a Victorian house (some may attitude as well - my son mainly :lol: ) so nothing is nice and straight.

When I asked a decorator how they deal with old houses he said 'lining paper and if that doesn't work, another layer of lining paper' In fact in my big boys DIY book it say put the first layer up horizontally and the second up vertically :good:

my old boy is a decorator and apparently you lay the first layer horizontally if you are intending to put another type ie patterened paper on top as when you strip the patterend paper in 2years when the missis gets fed up the lining paper stays put.

i have all this carry on to look forward to as we move to our new house on friday ....joys :good::lol:

Henry, what on earth are you doing thinking of decorating at this time of year :lol: B) :/

You needs your bumps felt :good::lol:

Let it wait until preferably the week before Xmas so you know that you have to get it done

Don

Because when the new bedroom is all done in time for her Birthday next week it will be like all my birthdays have come at once :lol:

Henry, what on earth are you doing thinking of decorating at this time of year :lol: B) :/

Let it wait until preferably the week before Xmas so you know that you have to get it done

Don

Because when the new bedroom is all done in time for her Birthday next week it will be like all my birthdays have come at once :lol:

HD are you getting lots of brownie points for this? It sounds like major shooting is in order afterwards, perhaps?

Don

HD are you getting lots of brownie points for this? It sounds like major shooting is in order afterwards, perhaps?

i think the way HD is talking he will be :yes: