Hello (again) from New Zealand this time!

Houseplant

It's been a while since I last posted and I've had quite a change in personal circumstances, so time for another introduction. Was based in Devon and just got back in to rough shooting when we decided to move to New Zealand. That was 3.5 years ago and we're now settled here.

The bits you want to hear about are hunting and fishing! First thing to say is that it's a bit different from the UK in that country is very much setup for outdoor activities. Supermarkets sell bait and fishing tackle, everyone seems to fish to some extent and hunting is regarded as a way of life. Hunting on public land is actively encouraged (with some sensible rules of course), and land owners have been seeking me to shoot on their land!

The saltwater fishing is mind blowing. "Catching a feed" as the kiwis say is almost a foregone conclusion. There are some great sporting fish like snapper and kingfish in abundance which are very good to eat. You don't even need a boat to catch them, a kayak will do just fine!

P8_zps770b258d.jpg

bigsnap4_zps95189b53.jpg

It also goes without saying that there is some fine wild trout and salmon fishing available, although I have only dabbled.

P%20112_zpsdxunsqwf.jpg

And you can add to your seafood platter by diving for shellfish and lobsters.

image_zpswaiq1moo.jpg

As for the hunting. You may be surprised to hear that New Zealand has no native animals, so if it's an animal and it's not domesticated, then it's a pest. No season, no rules on hunting. This includes seven or so species of deer, wild pigs and goats, boar, rabbits, hares, possums and cats believe it or not! There are rules and a season for game birds such as duck and pheasant, but this does not apply to turkeys. We also have magpies which are similar to the ones found in the UK.

There is a single firearms license for high powered air rifles, rimfire/centrefire rifles and shotguns. It was not difficult to get and I'm not restricted by my license in terms of calibre or where I shoot.

I just bought a CZ 452 .22LR to get started with and it's a great little gun. I'm very impressed with the subsonic rounds which are quieter than an air rifle and very accurate. I've only done two casual trips with it so far and bagged a total of 3 magpies, 6 rabbits and 2 turkeys. I'm giving myself a year with the rimfire to get back in to the swing of things before buying a centrefire and targeting bigger game.

Hunting1_zpstaf5b2fl.jpg

Hunting2_zpsvcitiaeh.jpg

When you say no native animals I think you possibly mean mammals. Are there no bats in NZ as Australia is basically the same but the only indigenoes mammal is the bat? Anyway, sounds as though you're having a great time out there (my mother went over from OZ on saturday for a couple of weeks) with plenty to keep you occupied. Nice trout by the way.

Edited by r1steele

• 4 weeks later...

Any feathered quarry like Doves, Crows, wood pigeons?

That's a funny one. I mentioned magpies, game birds, ducks and turkeys in my introduction. To answer your question.

Doves/rock pigeons - introduced and regarded in much the same was as they are in the UK

No crows, but we have rooks - introduced and regarded as a pest

Wood pigeon - yes, but not the same species as the UK, indigenous and protected, you would't make many friends if you shot one!

470466BirdsAug08%20039.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, welcome back, love the photos, brings back memories, my wife and I emigrated to NZ in 69 and spent 4 years living just north of Auckland, around Riverhead ,Kumeu and Browns bay , I spent most of my spare time hunting using a Sportco .22 rimfire and a 12 gauge under over, main quarry was rabbits , wild cats, pheasants and quail. plus the odd possum,

Fishing off the rocks on the east coast ( lots of good spots ) for Snapper and Karwie ( sorry dont know proper spelling ).

I am very envious but life in the uk is also great, I shoot pigeons and rabbits all year round and wildfowling through the winter season so its all good, but I do miss that wonderful outdoor laid back life, we had several Maori friends and often got invited out to Maori weekend parties just eating and drinking,

It certainly is a very special place, just cant talk the wife into going back, she dosn't hunt or fish !!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Sounds like you've experienced it! The last bit is true, if you don't fish or hunt, not a hell of a lot to do here and more so in the provinces than Auckland.

Hi,

You can live off the land in nz very easy, i used to live in west auckland,waitakere. enjoyed wild boar hunting when i was there and eating snapper fish.

Atb

Mart

Yep, we're now pretty much self-sufficient for meat and fish, apart from when we fancy a steak or a pork chop. That reminds me, must try and shoot a pig :)