10/22 help

Daveo26

A mates just bought a 10/22 fitted with some trick bits.

It's in a hogue stock and has a volquartsen match barrel and some bits in the trigger group.

Its issue is accuracy.

At 50 yards he is getting long stringy groups and at 75 it's like 5-6" groups.

He's tried 2 types of ammo, Winchester subs and rws subs.

It's got a half decent bushnell scope and a Parker hale mod.

Is there anything obvious to look at

I know very little about what makes Rugers tick.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks Dave

The usual, bullets clipping mod? Loose or over tightened stock/action screws. Loose scope mounts. Dirty/pitted bore or corroded crown if it has been left with a moderator on for long periods? Rugers aren't renowned for their accuracy buy I could happily shoot rabbits at 75/100 yds with mine

Has it been cleaned very well?

My 10/22 likes it dirty with Winnie subs.

Once cleaned it takes a bit of shooting to get tight patterns again. I would try more ammo and obviously make sure everything is tight and not moving. Try shooting without the mod, just eliminate one thing at a time.

Yeah everything is tight.

He cleaned the action and pulled the barrel through.

Can't really see the barrel crown, it's inside the carbon shroud.

Will try without the mod and maybe a different scope hopefully today.

The trigger is god awful, really heavy and creepy, my groups go high right every time which I think is the trigger

His groups go everywhere,

What is reasonable from a 10/22? I was sort of thinking golf ball sized groups at 50 yards??

Is that unreasonable

Any suggestions on ammo?

Thank you very much for the replies poor lads doing his nut.

Mod?

I have a 10/22 takedown and with any mod the groups were awful- thought it was me :-)

Even though it's a few years since I purchased it I returned it to Chris Potter, the supplying dealer who in turn sent it to the importers.

Turns out they have a few with very poor threading / crowns.

Not had a chance to test yet.

It's got an aftermarket volquartsen shrouded barrel fitted so in theory...... It should be a good one!

Just been up having a butchers at it.

When you hold the gun the barrel is free floating when it's on a bipod (it has been every time we have shot it)

The stock touches the barrel.

That seems to me like it's bound to affect accuracy?

When you hold the gun the barrel is free floating when it's on a bipod (it has been every time we have shot it)

The stock touches the barrel.

That seems to me like it's bound to affect accuracy?

Well that's the place to start. I would also start with a proper clean, not just a quick pull with a snake, remove the mod altogether until you find the problem.

Start with some fair quality ammunition and shoot a string of fouling/conditioning shots before shooting some serious groups.

Keep the targets and note ammunition, range, conditions etc.

Yes, golfball sized groups at 50 yards should be quite possible with that set-up.

He's packed The barrel with card.....

So there is no movement and it's tightened the groups right up.

It's not ideal but at least we no what's causing it. The flexible hogue stock!!

He even managed rabbits 1 and 2 with it tonight, he wasn't confident enough to shoot live quarry before.

Looks like he needs a rigid, wooden stock?

Thanks for the help

The Volquartsen barrel should be free-floated. If mine was only printing golf-ball groups at 50 I'd be very disappointed. My VQ barrelled 10-22 shoots well with Win subs, Eley Subs, SK-standard plus, Eley Club etc. It's not that fussy but remember not all ammo will chamber in the match chamber.

Check the barrel clamp is correctly fitted and tight, free-float the barrel (Boyds Evo stock or similar) and sort the trigger. Don't use mod until it's shooting well without.

Edited by Bangbangman

50 yards I can put every shot within a 10p piece without too much difficulty with sound mod and custom trigger.

With a match barrel and chamber using decent subbies that the rifle likes then thats about right.

So assuming its the rifle that is at fault and not the driver or scope:

Vertical stringing can be caused by several reasons, some are shown here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/verticaltips.html

Hogue stocks are not renowned for their quality, note the comments above ref muzzle heavy rifle, a short barrel will be just fine for subbies.

My way forward would be,

A, Clean the bore and chamber very thoroughly, there is a liquid product called Rimfire Blend that is designed to remove lead deposits. Most rifle bore cleaners are designed to remove copper fouling not lead. Its best to remove the barrel to do this if its not sweated on.

https://www.riflecraft.co.uk/bore-tech-rimfire-blend-4oz-118ml

B, Use the rifle WITHOUT the mod and have the crown checked and if necessary recrowned.

C, Use the rifle with another scope that is known to be sound, check all screws are tight on the mounts.

D, Sort the trigger.

E, Use CLEAN good quality ammo, the chamber should be a match chamber, this will not reliably cycle greasy ammo like Winnie. Use Eley or CCI or Lapua,

F, If none of that resolves the issue then you are into bedding, floating barrell etc as per bangbangman above, but if thats the case I would change the stock to a laminated wood one.

At the end of the day you are never going to be sub MOA with a semi, an inch or so at 50 yards is perfectly acceptable bearing in mind the round is good for about 80 yards tops.

A

Edited by Alycidon

He's packed The barrel with card.....

So there is no movement and it's tightened the groups right up.

It's not ideal but at least we no what's causing it. The flexible hogue stock!!

He even managed rabbits 1 and 2 with it tonight, he wasn't confident enough to shoot live quarry before.

Looks like he needs a rigid, wooden stock?

Thanks for the help

If you want to try an original 10/22 stock,,the nasty beech one,,I have one here you can have for free. I gave up with the Ruger,,it was never going to be reliably accurate no matter what I did.

Yeah everything is tight.

He cleaned the action and pulled the barrel through.

Can't really see the barrel crown, it's inside the carbon shroud.

Will try without the mod and maybe a different scope hopefully today.

The trigger is god awful, really heavy and creepy, my groups go high right every time which I think is the trigger

His groups go everywhere,

What is reasonable from a 10/22? I was sort of thinking golf ball sized groups at 50 yards??

Is that unreasonable

Any suggestions on ammo?

Thank you very much for the replies poor lads doing his nut.

You should be able to do MUCH Better than that.

I would suggest the trigger needs work but you should be able to shoot 5p sized groups or smaller at 50m

When Zeroing, I regularly go "round the clock" and shoot out the individual numbers on target at 12/3/6 and 9 once a rageddy hole has been shot in the centre.

Rifle - well used 10/22 with:

VQ 16" Carbon Barrel

VQ Target Hammer / Sear

RFC - Tips and tricks - improvement to trigger spring bar.

Hogue overmoulded stock

Optimate 6-24x scope.

When I first got my VQ barrel it I struggled to extract all the rounds using cheap American Blazer or similar - the manutacturing tolerances on this cheap ammo is not as good as having Eley/Lapua or similar shot cases got stuck in the tight match chamber. My particular rifle loves SK or RWS Match and I never use any really cheap US manufactured ammo these days.

Something is up, as mentioned the VQ match barrel should be doing much better!

My 10/22 has pretty much bolt gun accuracy. It's fantastic. As mentioned before that barrel should be free floated.

I suggest trying CCI either subs or mini mag and SK plus.

PS this magpul stock is also great, so if you end up changing it I recommend it.

Have you tried without the mod yet?

Below is 10 consecutive shots:

A756343F-061A-4C46-9EBF-4AA555DD408B_zps

2546E3CF-794C-471C-B4E7-BE1F154265EA_zps

Edited by Markbrowning

You can buy a complete after market trigger group to replace the awful factory trigger for about $80/ our currency. They are outstanding reducing pull to a crisp 3#. It's hard to shoot well with a bad trigger.

I picked one up when I was over there quite a few years ago and as you say it made a world of difference.

If you want to try an original 10/22 stock,,the nasty beech one,,I have one here you can have for free. I gave up with the Ruger,,it was never going to be reliably accurate no matter what I did.

Thanks mate but it's got the fat barrel,

Thanks very Muchly for the kind offer