Multi vs chippy

winnie&bezza

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You paint a perfect picture scully! Without doubt I'd love it but with a 20 month old daughter it's a bit risky. When I do weekend privates it's such a lovely feeling being your own man. I'm in a rural area surrounded by big towns so it's all there. My boss would hate for me to go self employed as he said to his son the brickie and my bro in law that he would lose control of we went self employed and he would hate to pay us more money as he's a tight jealous man. God knows why as he's got a lovely house with no worries, 67 years old and can't let go. If I went to him and said about going self employed he would offer me £110 a day which I wouldn't be happy with. Out of stubbornness he wouldn't use me and say I'm greedy. He's a funny man that I can't get my head around. I'm just letting the privates come in and waiting for a good opportunity to come along.

I am on £54 for an 8 hour day :lol:

Sorry about that mate. I know your up north but is there really a wage gulf between N&S?

Edited by winnie&bezza

You paint a perfect picture scully! Without doubt I'd love it but with a 20 month old daughter it's a bit risky. When I do weekend privates it's such a lovely feeling being your own man. I'm in a rural area surrounded by big towns so it's all there. My boss would hate for me to go self employed as he said to his son the brickie and my bro in law that he would lose control of we went self employed and he would hate to pay us more money as he's a tight jealous man. God knows why as he's got a lovely house with no worries, 67 years old and can't let go. If I went to him and said about going self employed he would offer me £110 a day which I wouldn't be happy with. Out of stubbornness he wouldn't use me and say I'm greedy. He's a funny man that I can't get my head around. I'm just letting the privates come in and waiting for a good opportunity to come along.

With a young child I can understand your reluctance, but most of us didn't have the choice to be honest. I'd just taken on a mortgage and a baby when I was made redundant from a high paid job I was sure I was going to be in for life. Stomach churning!

You must know plenty of lads in the trade; sound them out and see what they say. It would be one in the eye for your tight boss! :yes:

With a young child I can understand your reluctance, but most of us didn't have the choice to be honest. I'd just taken on a mortgage and a baby when I was made redundant from a high paid job I was sure I was going to be in for life. Stomach churning!

You must know plenty of lads in the trade; sound them out and see what they say. It would be one in the eye for your tight boss! :yes:

Your quite right there and you've just got to hunt for work and survive. Must of been daunting. Well not really as our firm never uses subbie chippies so don't get to see what's around. I've got a good friend who is a brickie and raking it in that the moment but that's all new build work and I've got a mate who's a plumber and has just secured a years contract to look after over 400 houses in a district area near me and if he does well after that year it would expand to a more affluent district and he said he reckons he could get me in for the chippy work but we will see. Would love say 'I'm off' see ya.

there's a few pages on Facebook that are ideal for finding work. I couldn't go back to being on the cards, I love being on the tools. I was a surveyor for three years, decent money but boring and offices are not for me.

I really need to join Facebook ha. I'm probably the only 29 yr old not on it! No, I couldn't do offices either.

The worst thing about staying with one Firm is fiscal drag. The money never goes up as it would if you were moving around a bit more.

Tell me about it. I'm starting to feel like it's holding me back especially when I'm pricing up and getting private work that makes me £200+ a day. Talk about resenting.

£110 a day is dire. £150 to £180 is the going rate for a subby around here so £110 on the books wouldn't be unreasonable but I wouldn't want to exist on it.

PS, multi's are rubbish at everything.

Cobblers, maybe you have experienced bad ones, but the last 45-65 sites i have been on over the last 8 years wouldn't have run without multi skillers,ours are paid 27k on the books 6 weeks hols and up to 6 month sick pay, most of them can command higher wages but not the benefits that come with the job

Go self employed, before you end up as bad as the fella in your first post lol

God help me ha

Cobblers, maybe you have experienced bad ones, but the last 45-65 sites i have been on over the last 8 years wouldn't have run without multi skillers,ours are paid 27k on the books 6 weeks hols and up to 6 month sick pay, most of them can command higher wages but not the benefits that come with the job

That's rather good for in the cards.

Still a shocking wage IMHO for a fully qualified tradesman working an eight hour day in 2016.

I was earning £25000 in 1999

That's why I left my trade 15 years ago, I earned £25k last year working in a factory. Not the best of jobs but the work is very easy and very little skill is involved.

6 weeks holiday on that though which is over 3k and sick pay which I don't get. Do they get a van winston?

Rather not have the hols, sick pay, van and earn £47000 they're paying in Nottingham. I know lads working in London making a lot more than that. It's the reason I spent three years at college and spent at least ten years becoming proficient, working in **** conditions and all weathers with no union backing.

There are companies paying close to 27000 for unskilled labour. I know I'm biased but the manual skilled labour force in this country should be paid what they're worth and if you're a fully qualified, time served tradesman/ craftsman you're worth a damn sight more than £27000!

Edited by carpentermark

6 weeks holiday on that though which is over 3k and sick pay which I don't get. Do they get a van winston?

They do, its local authority so it cant be used in their own time but can use it for commuting, its not the greatest wage as mentioned by others, but considering the fact that if you break a leg or have a terrible disease you still get paid ditto hospital appointments funerals paternity leave etc etc couple that with plentiful overtime and flavour it with a super ann pension, and i find it preferable to working on sites away from home, and this is multi skilled as in plumbing joinery tiling not electrical as that requires proper quals (only teasing), if you ae blessed enough to be a a qualified commercial gas engineer combined with 17th edition (multi skilling?? kind of?? ongoing argument ) you would be on considerably more, however its no longer a job for life as it used to be.

Rather not have the hols, sick pay, van and earn £47000 they're paying in Nottingham. I know lads working in London making a lot more than that. It's the reason I spent three years at college and spent at least ten years becoming proficient, working in **** conditions and all weathers with no union backing.

There are companies paying close to 27000 for unskilled labour. I know I'm biased but the manual skilled labour force in this country should be paid what they're worth and if you're a fully qualified, time served tradesman/ craftsman you're worth a damn sight more than £27000!

I can't disagree with any of that to be honest and figures speak for themselves. I'd happily give up holidays to be my own man.

Sounds more like hes the only one thats looking for his real worth within the firm.

Never ever been on anything near as low as hes getting in 15ish years on the card and getting near treble that just now although the job is a good one and usually a 12hr day.

The firm probably needs more whingers for it to realise they are either under pricing jobs or making too much off their work force and either way in this day and age thats a very poor wage for a tradesman.

They do, its local authority so it cant be used in their own time but can use it for commuting, its not the greatest wage as mentioned by others, but considering the fact that if you break a leg or have a terrible disease you still get paid ditto hospital appointments funerals paternity leave etc etc couple that with plentiful overtime and flavour it with a super ann pension, and i find it preferable to working on sites away from home, and this is multi skilled as in plumbing joinery tiling not electrical as that requires proper quals (only teasing), if you ae blessed enough to be a a qualified commercial gas engineer combined with 17th edition (multi skilling?? kind of?? ongoing argument ) you would be on considerably more, however its no longer a job for life as it used to be.

There's pros and cons. The multi you describe sounds more proficient than the chap working with us. In a year he's roughly 70% decorating, 20% plastering but small amounts, 8% giving others a hand and 2% electrics and plumbing and that's only moving a socket or cutting off water if we are doing a kitchen if our subbie plumbers are too busy.

Sounds more like hes the only one thats looking for his real worth within the firm.

Never ever been on anything near as low as hes getting in 15ish years on the card and getting near treble that just now although the job is a good one and usually a 12hr day.

The firm probably needs more whingers for it to realise they are either under pricing jobs or making too much off their work force and either way in this day and age thats a very poor wage for a tradesman.

To be honest your are bang on there. My query really was if a multi earns more than a chippy. Since I came on this firm everyone moaned about money except the bosses son. There's was the bosses 2 brothers who moaned about it (one retired) a fantastic chippy/joiner who moaned about it (now retired), an old decorator who moaned about it (retired). They all moaned but never did anything about it as they all got stuck in a rut and I have really. If he had a load of young workers with families the firm would of gone years ago but he's been lucky to have a load of mugs working for him. Now the boss had taken a semi retirement, his son and brother (my chippy partner) have come forward in the business to do more pricing and organising of jobs and get an extra £100 a week for it which I think takes them to £600. The boss has 'apparently' reduced his wage to compensate for that £100 they each get. So there is 5 on the cards, the subbie bloke topic is about Who is self employed but works for us all the time and the boss. 2 chippys, 2 brickies, young labourer, painter 'multi', and the boss who just does office work. The firm runs 4 vans. He charges £180 for 5 of us but I don't know how much for the labourer. So is that too much profit margin on a small firm? He told his brother years ago he needs to make £50 a day on each man to make it worth doing. Or not charging enough? Sorry for giving life story but just intrigued? Edited by winnie&bezza

To be honest your are bang on there. My query really was if a multi earns more than a chippy. Since I came on this firm everyone moaned about money except the bosses son. There's was the bosses 2 brothers who moaned about it (one retired) a fantastic chippy/joiner who moaned about it (now retired), an old decorator who moaned about it (retired). They all moaned but never did anything about it as they all got stuck in a rut and I have really. If he had a load of young workers with families the firm would of gone years ago but he's been lucky to have a load of mugs working for him. Now the boss had taken a semi retirement, his son and brother (my chippy partner) have come forward in the business to do more pricing and organising of jobs and get an extra £100 a week for it which I think takes them to £600. The boss has 'apparently' reduced his wage to compensate for that £100 they each get. So there is 5 on the cards, the subbie bloke topic is about Who is self employed but works for us all the time and the boss. 2 chippys, 2 brickies, young labourer, painter 'multi', and the boss who just does office work. The firm runs 4 vans. He charges £180 for 5 of us but I don't know how much for the labourer. So is that too much profit margin on a small firm? He told his brother years ago he needs to make £50 a day on each man to make it worth doing. Or not charging enough? Sorry for giving life story but just intrigued?

With that figures i would say they are underpricing jobs imo.

They are correct with needing to make X amount above your rate given hol pay,sick pay,vehicles,bad weather days and the list goes on and on but £180 should be closer to the rate for a tradesman wage and a percentage above that as the job rate.

As for multis getting more,i usually work myself but ive one young lad in particular that is slater to trade but can turn his hand to anything and is worth a very,very lot if i get him on site.Very high standard of work,puts a whole shift in all day and can be left to his own devices without any worries and for a lad like that and peace of mind to me hes worth loads so its all down to the individual imo.

I worked on the books for quite a while when younger and was happy on my wage till finding out what some others were getting and doing the job no better,and sometimes worse and thats when the rot can set in.Carried on for a couple of years but it always nagged so had to move and went on the card and have never regretted it.The fella you are mentioning can set the rot in motion but if yous are undervalued its not a bad thing sometimes.On the other hand if the company is generally happy enough apart from him its probably time to shift him on.

No wonder in 13 years of being on this firm ive never had to have a day off with no work. We're too cheap. If he's valuable then he should be paid well and trust is majorly important. It's more than money with me really, don't get me wrong I think I deserve more but it's more doing my own thing that's giving me the itch. There's two outcomes with him and that's he'll either actually leave this time or stay and be on same money as he will not get a better deal I know it.

No wonder in 13 years of being on this firm ive never had to have a day off with no work. We're too cheap. If he's valuable then he should be paid well and trust is majorly important. It's more than money with me really, don't get me wrong I think I deserve more but it's more doing my own thing that's giving me the itch. There's two outcomes with him and that's he'll either actually leave this time or stay and be on same money as he will not get a better deal I know it.

You say that but what if the boss just paid him a bit more and never told you ?

Is it any of your business what someone else negotiates for their pay ?