any caravaners out there

viking

For your price range, look for a hobby caravan. The ine I had was 32ft long with a proper bedroom with double bed, a dinner table, and living room. It was the size of a static, but towable. Hobby is what id be looking at.

But illegal behind a discovery as the body is over 7m long, for that big you need a commercial vehicle. I would stay away from Hobby in general, quality vans but they a lot do not have toilets and started life within the travelling community.

With caravans the best advice is buy on condition and check for damp. For you price range you should get a tidy van, depending on the size between 2002-2008. Within reason they are all much of a muchness, the guts of them are all pretty much the same it just comes down to the interior and lay out you would like. As you have the disco you can pretty much tow any standard touring caravan so limiting thing will be your storage area.

Fixed beds are good but are normally quite small, also they are relatively new so you will be limiting your choices on budget. Other option is look for a 5 berth with seating areas at either end and turn one (normally the rear) into your sleeping area.

Only makes i would steer clear of is Avondale and Fleetwood, Avondale had a habit or cracking panels and fleetwood are well known for damp problems....something my dad found out after he bought his!!!

Edited by ferguson_tom

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your price range, look for a hobby caravan. The ine I had was 32ft long with a proper bedroom with double bed, a dinner table, and living room. It was the size of a static, but towable. Hobby is what id be looking at.

But illegal behind a discovery as the body is over 7m long, for that big you need a commercial vehicle. I would stay away from Hobby in general, quality vans but they a lot do not have toilets and started life within the travelling community.

Also you will find quite a few sites won't take a van that size, also the door is on the wrong side which means pitching problems on some sites.

Like others have said go look around the caravan dealers,dont get sucked into buying till you see something you really like.if it's your first time towing go for a mid size to start. I prefer pulling a single axle having had both I find they tow better thro bends and there's a lot of bendy roads in wales.a couple of things to look for are spongy soft floors,look in corners of cupboards for dark patches and run your fingers in the corners if you get a black residue like dust it could be dryed damp.try and avoid caravans that have been used for seasonal pitched vans they very often been Sat on wet grass most of the year which is not good for the floors and they have had a lot of use.we currently have a compass rallye 550 2009 van which has a fixed island bed this is our second compass van the spec and build quality is very good .good luck with your choice if you have any questions just p m me if can help

Buying private is ok make sure they have a good service history and you get to see the people that own them and were there kept if the people are tiedy you can ask questions,were with a dealer you don't get that there pro cleaned polished and so on, the benefit with dealer is you can get a warranty between 3 to 12 months depending on how much you spend.both times I bought private I had good deals both vans were only used 5-6weeks a year and came with everything needed and awnings some dealers take awnings out of second hand vans thinking you may buy 1 or ask if they have a second had one to sell,

Stuff paying dealers prices - if it's your first van then buy something that you wont mind damaging - £2k will get you a reasonable 4/5 berth from around Y2K. You can buy a damp meter for pennies and ,if not sure, then most mobile caravan mechanics will give her a check over for about an hours labour. Buying one with a good service history is wise as it shows she has been looked after. Caravans have a 12v battery but don't buy a new one if the old one is knackered unless a mover is fitted and you intend to use it - 99.9% of site offer hook up and you will never use the 12v system. Haynes do a "caravan manual" that is very good and crammed with information that you will find handy - can lend you my copy if it's something you would find useful.

Stuff paying dealers prices - if it's your first van then buy something that you wont mind damaging - £2k will get you a reasonable 4/5 berth from around Y2K. You can buy a damp meter for pennies and ,if not sure, then most mobile caravan mechanics will give her a check over for about an hours labour. Buying one with a good service history is wise as it shows she has been looked after. Caravans have a 12v battery but don't buy a new one if the old one is knackered unless a mover is fitted and you intend to use it - 99.9% of site offer hook up and you will never use the 12v system. Haynes do a "caravan manual" that is very good and crammed with information that you will find handy - can lend you my copy if it's something you would find useful.

id never buy one from a dealer, id just use them for a good nose about and see what suits my needs, obviously dont want to spend more than i have to, as long as its rite and clean it will do form my first one, i have to get one now anyway as i mentioned it to er in doors and she was well excited, and one way or another any caravan i bought would be getting a proper before check over before any money changed hands :good::good: and a very kind offer to lend me your book, thanks. but its probably best i buy my own that way its always there for me.

is it any of these you have?

thanks..

post-9513-0-78342800-1473357911_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-21407200-1473357918_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-28465400-1473357924_thumb.jpg

there is another well known missive....

The mental shed pullers monthly..........

good article's in last months Iraq edition...titled...."The effect on modern carravans by IED's".......and "air conditioning, 50cal or 7.92mm"

Edited by ditchman

sound like your no fan of the shed pullers ditchie :lol::lol::lol:

not quite true....many years ago i went to look at some caravans..the one i set my cap at was i think the most beautifully put together/built van i had ever seen it was a "Carlite"....the fitting out inside was cabinate quality...proper wood loverly veneer...trouble was unlike its name it was too heavy for the car...i had a 145dl estate volvo..then but what i needed was a triumph 2.5l 6 cylinder....

sounds nice..

i saw one the other day on ebay, it had the seats at the front and the some at the back, that would be ideal for me as id turn the rear seats into a permanent bed with a decent mattress,no idea if that sort of van has a name or not, cant even find it now, or even one like it, and i saw one with a fixed rear bed, the one with the corner cut off, but it had a small full length cupboard either side, id rip them out and have more space for the bed..... im putting some real thought into this now. :good::good: