Use of Google Earth on distance

Old Boggy

As title, I believe that this has been posted previously, so apologise if already answered, but is it, as I believe, possible to use a version of Google Earth to establish precise distances.

I ask this as it would be most useful where shooting in the vicinity of roads, houses, footpaths etc. to ascertain absolute safe distances to prevent falling shot causing inconvenience to anyone.

Realising that angle and wind direction obviously plays an important part of distance of falling shot, I would be interested to learn ( in simple terms please, being a complete Luddite and technophobe) how I can use Google Earth to give such information.

I thank anyone in advance of any information given.

OB

Simply open google earth. Along the main toolbar is a small vertical ruler - looks a little bit like a measuring cylinder. If you mouseover it it comes up with 'show ruler'.

Now, all you do is click on one point, then move your mouse to another point and click there. A straight line will show between the 2 points, and the distance will be shown. You can change between feet, yards, miles, inches, kms, or even the measurement of the 'smoot'. No fathoms, chains or furlongs, however.

I use google earth for my work from time to time but find it super useful for checking new land and the surrounding areas, the land against wind directions and distances for shot fall on nearby houses when pigeon shooting or for measuring distances from the edge of the woods to some cover for positioning high seats at a given distance, wouldn't be without it now

Mikee

lol........and a 'curser' is a user of bad language. Moral : Never be pedantic unless you are perfect! :whistling:

My appologies Gaefarm. I should have said "cursor"lol. iv'e never needed to type the word before, thank you for the lesson.

I still think I'm right about ruler though, sure it was our maths teacher(not math teacher)told us it's a rule.

I never said that I am perfect and no-one else has either.

I still think I'm right about ruler though, sure it was our maths teacher(not math teacher)told us it's a rule.

Seem to recall a quote "Got 12 inches, but don`t use it as a rule"

Sorry to lower the tone,

I`ll get my coat.

Seem to recall a quote "Got 12 inches, but don`t use it as a rule"

Sorry to lower the tone,

I`ll get my coat.

Boggy.

Keep your coat on in case yer trousers fall down "yuk".