Scope for a .22 rimfire

dougstermw

I would go for a fixed power of 6 or 8 x 40/42. people dont need a triple whopper 10 x 20 x 56 or the like. A . you are only going to be shooting 80/100 yards on rabbits and not a flea on the back of a dog in France. B. you get more glass for the £ in a fixed power than a vari power. C. a fixed power holds zero better and D. if and when you get a bigger center fire or the like then it will work on that as well. Still it is your choice and your money.

Sound advice. Don't let yourself be talked into buying something too expensive - the really dear scopes are ideal for low light conditions but you're allowed to lamp rabbits so don't need that clarity. You also won't be shooting at vast ranges so cheaper optics will be fine.

Hawke stuff is generally OK although there are some fantastic bargains out there second hand. I bought a Bushnell Legend HD for my HMR and it's superb. Cost me £107! :D

3-9x50 is good enough for a .22 rimmy. This will give you some adjustment on magnification but you wont need more than 9x mag.

the 50mm objective lens is my preference as I think it is better in lower light.

Hawke HD or Nikko Stirling are budget scopes but absolutely fine

If you might use Night vision in future make sure you get an adjustable Objective (AO) version

illuminated reticles in my experience are useless so dont bother with that.

JS Ramsbottom are good suppliers - Click

Edited by peek-at

I'd be inclined to forget all the gimmicks with regard to the reticle for a 22LR and just get a simple cross hair. Reticle size is personal preference, but if after rabbit - a small target - something on the fine side - provided you can see it in the dark with the lamp - is advantageous. The type with the fine lines in the central portion only give quicker target acquisition.