Hull cartridge Comp X 28 gram

Guest stevo

Evening all.

About 6 months ago the missus said she might like to have a go at some clays. So I bought her a slab of hull comp X in 28 gram plaswad. Thought they would be nice and soft through my trap gun. Anyway in the end she didn't bother as she has not been very well and so the slab of comp X have just sat in the corner of the spare bedroom unopened.

Well last weekend my mate wanted to have a DTL session and so as I was getting my gear together I thought I must grab myself some shells at the ground. And the I saw the slab of comp X in the corner and thought sod it I'll use them after all it's only a bit of practice and I need to use them up and thought a bit of DTL would be perfect.

We got to the ground and grabbed a couple of boxes out of the slab and started to walk down to the layout. On the way it was the usual conversation about what shells we were all using. Most were using hull pro one ( which is what I always use for ALL my trap shooting but I use the 24 gram )

When I said I was going to use the comp X that I got for the wife. All I got was laughter haha

Not to be phased I thought I would just give them a good go and make my own mind.

I must point out I have never really bought into the faster is better rubbish. To me it's about pattern at range.

Well we started shooting and straight away I noticed how pleasant they were to shoot. Blooming beautifull !! Half way in the others were commenting how good the kills were ( the gun was a beretta 692 fixed choke 3/4 and full flat rib adjustable trap gun )

I have to admit I was really really impressed and finished on a 98/100

On the way home I started thinking about these underrated little shells and thought I would wait and see what there like on fast trap as this IMO would be a much better way of judging there performance.

Today I went to my practice ground ( orston ) for a 100 bird on the UT. Well I have to say I was blown away yet again. Bearing in mind the visabilaty was rubbish with a hint of fog too. I still managed a 85/100

But the best bit £160 per thou 👍

Will I be using them again. ..... a very big YES

Just wondering what other people experiences are with them

Edited by stevo

Can't knock 98/100 I found the smell of the powder off putting (any excuse). Not seen them around much down here but hull in general aren't very common Bales were the last place I saw hull and they closed down.

I keep Hull and never have any complaints about any of the range.

Not been asked for the comp X in 28g but everyone that buys the 21g is always please at how soft shooting they are.

Edd

Was given a case of comp x to try for myself, never got round to trying them against clays but I know the live pigeons certainly don't like them!! Never an issue through my hatsan pump and am tempted to get more but they gona have to wait as spotted some "smokers" at sportsman gun centre yesterday just got to wait for the fibre loads to be in stock!

I keep Hull and never have any complaints about any of the range.

Not been asked for the comp X in 28g but everyone that buys the 21g is always please at how soft shooting they are.

Edd

Might pick up a slab if passing have been using fiocchi 24g recently although not been shooting much.

I had used some a couple of years ago but had a couple of 'hang fire' issues with them and therefore not used them since. That is, until I got a 250 slab a few weeks ago and decided to give them another go. I too was very pleasantly surprised at both their performance and smooth shooting on sporting clays.

I used to use the 21g for everything as I had a shoulder problem,

That eventually cleared up but I was finding them hard to get as the guy who supplies our club didn't deal in Hull,

I got a slab of the 28g but just couldn't get away with them,

I switched to velocity+ which I find very good but now playing with Olympics,

I did get a slab of 24g 8s in Eley Firsts which were also very good,

I personally prefer 8 shot, (yes I know it's all in the head)

Oh and I've still yet to see an auto reliably cycle 21g CompX

:shaun:

They're all that are allowed at one local ground & are preferred at another (noise problems) so at £165/1,000 (fibre) they're about all I use these days & I can't really fault them. Nice & soft and knock the clays out of the sky if the gun's pointed in the right direction. I have also used the 21g version and it's much the same but even softer on the shoulder.

I am currently using some Imperial which I picked up cheap and they seem to do the job as well. And, to be honest, I can't hear any difference.

Guest cookoff013

Nowt wrong with 8s, for sporting clays, 9s offer good pellet count.

With some experience learning to trust the 9s they really do perform on clays.

70yards might cause headaches, but 9s fill the pattern good. I have used all manor of stuff, from 21g to 40-42grams. (Where I can fire big loads)

S are great.

I also switched to CompX 28g fiber recently, after my trouble with the Superfast. I shot quite a few 21g from my wife's when playing with the SxS and they are excellent. I did a comparison with RIO, Fiocchi TT1, Superfast and CompX. I do prefer the CompX overall, and it's also the /cleanest/ cartridge I've ever tried. Yesterday I shot a couple hundred of them and I was /amazed/ that the gun is still pretty much clean afterward.

Also, even the 28g fit in my SxS, *and* are cheap, so I'm definitely going to stick to these for the future.

I tried some of those and found them VERY punchy and uncomfortable to use,

I do know that they are ceasing production of them as they are taking sales off their other budget cartridges, so either stock up now or switch to something else

:shaun:

I only bought them because they were "silly" cheap, a bit like MMXVI's (which I haven't yet tried).

As I said, I'm more than happy with Comp-X which also, incidentally, fit my 100 year old SBS nicely.

I have used the 28g CompX in all my guns, nice to shoot, seem to break clays well enough (better than me!), and they cycle the MP153 ok with the gas valve closed down a bit.

The 21g are lovely to shoot in my sbs and the Higgins, although they don't feed that well in the pump.

Both are very clean burning, on a par with the Fiocchis I usually use. Lovely cartridges :)

Shame the Higgins doesn't like them - having just bought a thousand... :(