Silver investing.

Whatmuff

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying silver and 'the stocks' is pretty much the same thing. The value of your silver is reflected in the market price. Taking delivery of cheap physical commodities would actually be harder to sell at a good market rate, rather than just trading spot silver.

Personally, if I wanted to buy a few KG of silver, I'd trade it. One hell of a lot less hassle and you can sell it almost instantly at the market price you see.

Whiskey barrels ay, ha haven't got room for those. I can't see the point in buying shares in silver if I don't have it in my hands. A lot of dodgy stuff goes on with the markets these days so prepping for the end of the world!! Can see silver as a good long term investment say 20-30 years if not longer. Property is no longer safe and overpriced, and keeping cash in the bank gives you no return, running out of safe investment options.

I know it's gone down in the last five years, it was nearly £28 an ounce at one point however it's fairly low at the moment. I think precious metals are worth investing in now and I'm not doing it to make any quick money it's a long term interest.

What happens to the price of a new car over ten years? It goes down in value at an astronomical rate! Silver iscreen used for electronics, medical and jewellery to name a few and there is only so much of it left!

The reason for the drop in silver is down to a big drop in demand. World wide the photographic industry used to use thousands of tons a year, it was the biggest overall consumer of silver and that has virtually all gone now.

There is no long term prospect of the market ever recovering IMHO.

Also, the 'value' of silver may be £x per ounce but if you take a few ounces to a bullion dealer he will not give you anything like that for it. That's why he's got a Rolls Royce parked outside and you haven't. He knows that if you don't accept what he offers you have nowhere else to go.

Edited by Vince Green

Some years ago I was going to start buying some silver coins but what really annoyed me was if I bought a silver coin I had to pay 20% VAT on it if I was well off and could afford to buy a gold one there is no tax on it at all apart from that the people who make money at this are the dealers once there profit has been deducted you would need to keep it for about 50 years to make anything out of it.

I had a look into that, and your right. Spot price of silver per oz is currently around £13 however to buy a oz coin is around £20 in the UK as the VAT and mark up which is pointless as you would need a massive increase to make any money at all. So I bought a load from Germany for around £16 an oz which is a much cheaper alternative.

Mmm what did the photographic industry use silver for?

I had a look into that, and your right. Spot price of silver per oz is currently around £13 however to buy a oz coin is around £20 in the UK as the VAT and mark up which is pointless as you would need a massive increase to make any money at all. So I bought a load from Germany for around £16 an oz which is a much cheaper alternative.

Silver halide is light sensitive, it only turns black once it has been exposed to light. That's how film and photographs worked. People like Kodak, Fuji, Agfa and 3M bought most of the silver that was being produced world wide. But it wasn't just photos, offset printing, medical X Rays all used silver but not any more.

That's why the silver market is flat. But a bullion dealer won't give you anything like spot price for your silver because he has to resell it himself.

Edited by Vince Green

It's a dead investment. If you buy shares you get the chance of capital appreciation and dividends. If you buy property you get the chance of capital appreciation and rental income. With a silver stock pile there's only one way to make any money on it.

The only dead investment precious metal worth looking at is gold when there is massive economic instability or the threat of war and when everyone bails out of existing currencies fearing that they may fail or fall and preferring something they can shove under the bed and trade / spend anywhere in the world. But saying that you'd be better buying a solid gold swiss watch - that's a triple winner as given the above scenario people bail into the safe Swiss Franc driving the price of Swizz exports up, if the price of gold goes up then that too will drive the value of the watch up and on top you have a nice watch you can wear and use everyday.

Two years ago I bought a solid gold submariner watch (second hand but with box and papers) from a shop in Italy when the Euro Pound was at 1.4. That cost me £8k GBP and that watch is now worth maybe £12k (or £14k / £15k out of a shop window).

Honestly, if your interest in silver is just to hoard a load of metal at home with the impression that as it goes in iPhone screens, therefore it must be in high demand, then I think you should reconsider your investment.

It sounds to me that you're choosing silver because it's a cheap precious metal. Unless you're buying it by the tonne, you're purchasing a fancy paperweight. Especially if you can't see the benefits of trading it over purchasing the physical commodity.

Mung is right. A watch is a good investment and you actually get some use out of it. I'm not a fan of gold watches, so I'd probably buy coins/bars if someone forced me to buy gold (I can see a return buying a decent amount of gold, but not silver). As mentioned though, I'd rather just open a trading account and not have to deal with getting it delivered, storage and then the headache of finding a buyer, whilst the world is trading gold on a five point spread of the spot price.

If you want a metal worth investing in, have a look at Lithium. It's trading at the same price as silver. You won't be keeping that at home though!

In other news, bitcoin went through the roof after Trump got elected. I'm sure I mentioned that in another thread :big_boss:

Edited by Billy.

It would not be so bad if we did not have to pay that 20% vat on it but that is how this country works if you have lots of money then you can buy gold vat free but what normal person can buy it at getting on for £1.000 per one once I got my money in a Santandare 123 account getting something like 3% interest.

I would never trust stocks and shares even if I could afford if you have a lot of money then property or land is the no loose choice unless there is a plague that kills of millions of people there will always be a shortage of homes for people to live in so the price of houses will never go down.

I am only talking about the uk can you see our house prises ever going down with all of the extra people comming in every year where are they going to live tents.

It's less than ten years since the last crash.

Is immigration really your only reason for house prices going up and never going down?

Unless you have a complete lack of confidence in the financial markets, and you want to use physical commodities in a doomsday scenario for bartering, I can't understand why anybody would bother holding physical commodities. Too much hassle. Buy a fund that invests in that asset or companies that are associated with mining it.

Unless you have a complete lack of confidence in the financial markets, and you want to use physical commodities in a doomsday scenario for bartering, I can't understand why anybody would bother holding physical commodities. Too much hassle. Buy a fund that invests in that asset or companies that are associated with mining it.

I mean.. All these people saying they don't trust the markets will go and buy a load of precious metals and hold them at home, but don't consider that the price of that gold is set by the market they had zero trust in :lol:

It's as if people think there's a separate price for the 'traders and stockbrokers' to what you get if you own a bar of gold and go to sell it. (Well there kind of is a difference, but it's what the buyer will be charging on top of the market rate to make their profit)

Hi

Interesting thread 😊

Just wondering if it's that easy to do i.e.

Make money on the stock market

How come so many endowments and pension funds managed by experts

Have lost money 💰

Although this is probably a slightly different type of investment

It seems to me that a broker or financial expert is the same for both

All the best

Of