Please List your GREY SQUIRREL KILLS for 2017 Here

webber

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It started at 6d then went up to one shilling, if I remember correctly. Never got half a crown. I would have been raking it in. Use to get 4 or 5 on a Saturday and was paid out by the village Bobby, he was always in his garden on a Saturday afternoon. Use to open the office at the side of his house. I use to walk there with my air rifle still in my hand. No one batted an eyelid. I would have been 12 yrs old. My pocket money was 6d per week. So it was very good top up.

Your older than me then :lol::yes::good:

Pity they don't bring it back, we might see a few more shot.

PLUS I can't count..... 12 1/2 p actually

Had another this morning and MISSED ONE CLEAN AT 20yrds ... two weeks penance with no chocolate biscuits with my morning coffee :no::unhappy:

Your older than me then :lol::yes::good:

Pity they don't bring it back, we might see a few more shot.

PLUS I can't count..... 12 1/2 p actually

Had another this morning and MISSED ONE CLEAN AT 20yrds ... two weeks penance with no chocolate biscuits with my morning coffee :no::unhappy:

One more this morning after it had lived a charmed life for 72hrs since first being seen flitting across the orchard.

It appeared through a gate with something white in it's mouth. Checked where I shot it and it was a half a wood pigeon egg shell, hatched some time ago buy the looks of things. Why on earth would a squirrel want an egg shell when the ground only 20ft away was awash with walnuts(picked 135 this morning) ?????

They need to supplement their diet with calcium or else they have disabled kits. This is why they will gnaw on bones, antlers and the West Lakes Squirrel Initiative put a calcium additive in their red squirrel feeders to enhance breeding success.

I got three yesterday on the oak tree that I got three off last Saturday two males and a female.

Finally got one in the orchard this morning. It has had a life of Riley for 72 hrs, never sitting still for a shot with either rifle, so this morning I went and sat in a corner where I knew he was likely to come and it had always appeared about 7am. 0705 and here it comes with a walnut nicked from my neighbours tree, good job I had the 410 and nailed it running.

Definitely been a summer for squirrels. I have now had 26 in 30 days

Forgot to list the one I got at my mum's last Sunday.

You are dead right Walker 570 the silly season when they throw caution to the wind and just fill their faces with natural food came early this year but the beech mast has gone, the hazel nuts have gone, acorns have nearly gone and conkers are getting hammered. Sweet chestnut next. I think that they are going to clear the natural food a month early and so will be desperate by January.