oftec oil training

vampire

My oftec ticket is due to run out shortly,so just rebooked assements only,thats no books just exams and its £550 inc for the day or day and half if your slow.

What a rip off,for 14 ish exam papers on the 101,105e,600.

Dates not good either,could go monday to wscollege,may 22nd at colchester but a lot cheaper but had to go for march at west suffolk.

Sadly if you are installing and commisioning you will have to put up with it. I just service and repair now and didn't renew mine 5 years ago. My customers are not bothered and my liability insurance still covers me to work on oil fired appliances. What's more i regularly sort out dodgy work carried out by oftec engineers.

Gas safe is just as bad if not more of a rip off but no choice with that i have to do it every 5 years.

They're all a bloody rip off. More and more of these so called regulatory bodies are springing up and saying that you need more training and Certs. It starts at every five years then down to three and if they can get away with it every year.

It's a sodding money making scheme we are forced to comply with.

Sadly if you are installing and commisioning you will have to put up with it. I just service and repair now and didn't renew mine 5 years ago. My customers are not bothered and my liability insurance still covers me to work on oil fired appliances. What's more i regularly sort out dodgy work carried out by oftec engineers.

Gas safe is just as bad if not more of a rip off but no choice with that i have to do it every 5 years.

We had the disussion should we ditch it and just do servicing.

You are right about dodgy work i see it on nearly every job and because i am oftec registered i have to record and advise then you get "its been like that for years and no one has ever pointed it out"

I pay £440 a year just to be kept on a list. £220 a year for access to a mandatory system to record training. £222 a year to be part of a useless union... It goes on.

Why cant a man just turn up and work with decent references anymore.

I the same wb. £150 a year to my governing body, £240 a year to a union. Arrrgggghhhhhhh!

Is it the same as with gas and other trades when you inspect it do you become responsible for it. i.e. If owner won't pay for it to be put right and safe isolate it?

You become responsible,in that you have to record in writing to the owner what is dangerous/potential,if it went to court i could present my paperwork or be inspected at anytime.

An oil engineer cannot isolate the supply,its your tank and oil,could put a sticker on tank to denote not to fill,but they just peel off,if its really bad i would isolate notify oftec etc

So,no you just make them aware.

think you getting off lightly if that's for 5 years ,its nearly that every year if you choose to be part of the sparkys "Part P scam".

think i'll drop oftec an e-mail and tell em there not charging enough :)

at least **** Turpin had the decency to wear a mask !

Edited by Remimax

think you getting off lightly if that's for 5 years ,its nearly that every year if you choose to be part of the sparkys "Part P scam".

think i'll drop oftec an e-mail and tell em there not charging enough :)

at least **** Turpin had the decency to wear a mask !

Yes i know,my mate is a sparky and he hates all the paperwork and hoops you need to jump through and now he is on about 18th edtion is going to cost a fortune.

Its all just a money making scam,you add up everyone who pays to be a registered proffessional. :big_boss:

Hairdressers and lawnmower repair guy earns more than i do and for what :mad:

I'm re-doing my core gas at the moment. Obviously I'd rather not spend the money out and lose 4 days of work, but actually, I think it's a good idea. The regulations do change and without periodic reminders we can all forget things. In the great scheme of things it's a barely relevant inconvenience.

My oftec ticket is due to run out shortly,so just rebooked assements only,thats no books just exams and its £550 inc for the day or day and half if your slow.

Dates not good either,could go monday to wscollege,may 22nd at colchester but a lot cheaper but had to go for march at west suffolk.

Don't want to hijack but I have a question

We're I work we hire out diesel heaters out , now I'm not trained on things like these but we are asked to service these heaters , am I correct in saying we shouldn't touch the burner with out being oftec trained

Edited by bullet1747

Don't want to hijack but I have a question

We're I work we hire out diesel heaters out , now I'm not trained on things like these but we are asked to service these heaters , am I correct in saying we shouldn't touch the burner with out being oftec trained

You do not have to be qualified to service an oil fired boiler believe it or not.Not sure about diesel heaters and as previous post your legal postion on such.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed it all today,all exam papers,fault diagnosis and service on boiler,first one to finish in 4 1/2 hours :big_boss::thanks: