Oak flooring pellets

winnie&bezza

Having read this thread, and whilst I love the look and feel of a wooden floor, I'm reminded why I bought amtico :lol:

Haha don't blame you.

Very interesting thread this one :) Looking forward to seeing the finished floor, if that's possible ;)

Love reading about, and seeing true Artisans doing their thing :good:

Yeah I should be able to get finished pics. Artisan? Not so sure about that!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is 2 stacks of boards. One that's been there a year and one 6 months. They are downstairs where it's quite warm. Those laid floors are upstairs and those pipes have obviously subjected to a heat it has never had.

A323E015-41BC-402F-80A6-1145EE435CEA_zps

All boards expand and contract,do you have to glue the joints on these !.Am 100% sure you will do a good job,sounds like you got another client under your belt,keep collecting em like that and your future is secured,good luck with the job and don't forget we want to see the pics.

All boards expand and contract,do you have to glue the joints on these !.Am 100% sure you will do a good job,sounds like you got another client under your belt,keep collecting em like that and your future is secured,good luck with the job and don't forget we want to see the pics.

It's solid oak, Of course it's going to have movement as it's a natural product. The floor that's been laid has had joints glued and i will too. Yes hopefully mate and thanks for the kind words. Duly noted and pics will be uploaded! Cheers

Will gluing the joints not just cause them to tear the toungue off when the floor moves with natural summer winter expansion and contraction ?

When I laid a random strip oak plank one across the whole upstairs of parents house the timber suppliers told me just to porter nail them.

Best oak floors I've seen laid were spring clipped in a huge church hall. The sping clips kept the floor tight as a drum.

Looking forward to seeing your job all done.

Dont waste time glueing it wont stop aok moving as has been saud just tears the tongue....hence the reason i ply beneath......over here unlaged pipe in first floor joists would be commom only lagin pipes in roofspace or ground floor so dont see a problem but maybee different with you,s....

I love your threads that start out asking for advice and become a very interesting look at how things are done and how they should be done correctly.

Will you be pointing out the unlagged pipe to the owner?

Keep up the GREAT work!

Well I don't know everything and there's people on here who know more than me so im all ears on advice. Glad it can bring help others.

Well he's not a stupid man and he has said this morning that the pipes are there and haven't been lagged. I wouldn't of said so otherwise. I would of just said that I've lagged the pipes I've come across so that it covers me. Cheers mate I appreciate it.

Will gluing the joints not just cause them to tear the toungue off when the floor moves with natural summer winter expansion and contraction ?

When I laid a random strip oak plank one across the whole upstairs of parents house the timber suppliers told me just to porter nail them.

Best oak floors I've seen laid were spring clipped in a huge church hall. The sping clips kept the floor tight as a drum.

Looking forward to seeing your job all done.

Well when I did the oak flooring job as an apprentice which I mentioned in a previous post, the old chippy/ joiner who was brilliant told me to glue tongues. Haven't done many solid oak floors (count on one hand) but a tongue has never torn. To be honest though I've thought why do I bother but it's more of a 'what if I don't and this happens' thinking. I'm gonna take advice and not glue the first floor that I do here. Never seem a spring clip floor I must say.

Me to mate ha. Cheers

Dont waste time glueing it wont stop aok moving as has been saud just tears the tongue....hence the reason i ply beneath......over here unlaged pipe in first floor joists would be commom only lagin pipes in roofspace or ground floor so dont see a problem but maybee different with you,s....

I'm gonna take your advice and not glue first floor. The customer doesn't want ply base. It's pretty evident that the unlagged pipes have caused shrinkage as they are sitting very close to the bottom of board so I'm going to lag them.

Cheers

Winnie and Bezza you probably have seen a sprung floor but never realised as you can't see the spring steel clips. Very clever method of keeping wooden floors tight.

As yourself I have not done loads of oak flooring so sought out the right advice, hence told not to glue the joints but just nail them, the floor looked fantastic and stayed that way for years.

Winnie and Bezza you probably have seen a sprung floor but never realised as you can't see the spring steel clips. Very clever method of keeping wooden floors tight.

As yourself I have not done loads of oak flooring so sought out the right advice, hence told not to glue the joints but just nail them, the floor looked fantastic and stayed that way for years.

Possibly mate but as you say, I'd never know haha. Bet it did and I'm not glueing from now on!

This the small section of flooring that I had done and did the pellets today. The client really liked the pellets so gave me the go ahead to carry on and also liked them being fairly visible. Used a cabinet scraper on it to get rid of any marks or slight raised points but the only thing is is that he said about scraping all the floors as he doesn't like the fierceness of a sander and also liked the colour of the oak it brought out. Don't think my thumbs could take scraping all that flooring.

231CAE10-513E-4F26-AA14-533FBBF53ADE_zps

BE941738-8AB7-4F8F-9948-EE98220AE5E9_zps

705C6CCE-9C37-41E5-852E-1F0A5C6C5E7B_zps

Edited by winnie&bezza

I've been following this thread from the sidelines and looking forward to seeing the pictures.

For what it's worth, I quite like the pegs "standing out", it adds a small bit of contrast. Looks great :good:

Yes it does add contrast and it makes the floor more of a feature in my eyes. The floor already laid and secret screwed looks like a laminate floor which really doesn't suit the house. Really enjoying doing it I must say. Thanks.

Lad I worked with right into his cabinet making and wood turning always puts his pellets across the grain said he likes to make a feature of them. On some projects will use different colour wood pellets for contrast.

I can imagine it looked lovely. So much you can do with it. When I do birch ply shelving etc i use pine pellets which looks nice.

I've also been reading and enjoying the idea of different woods to contrast sounds really good.

I also thought it might end up looking like laminate all be it expensive laminate but the pegs certainly give it an edge, bet you sick off them come the end tho 😊

Yes pegs really enhance but everyone's different. Cheers and I'll be able to tell you after the first 1000 of them haha.

Are you seeing pellets in your sleep yet :lol:

Haha I haven't started the big floors yet and that won't be for a couple of weeks as there is jobs to do before that. I've just finished the small landing floor this morning and I've counted 192 haha. Enjoyed doing them and seeing end result but next lot is a different animal.