Mayweather vs McGregor?

Danger-Mouse

Thats the only ones ive seen apart from Aldo and he did gas badly but as you say 5 minute rounds are a lot different from 3.

I would be very worried knowing hes only gone past 2 rounds three times.

What do you think McGs game plan will be?

Conor obviously worked on his cardio quite a bit for the second fight. I'm sure he will have continued to do so in preparation for this bout. The 3 minute rounds will also give him more chance to recover, 12 boxing rounds is 36 minutes of fighting with 10 minutes of rest vs 25 minutes of fighting with 4 minutes of rest in MMA.

I think Conor will have his best chances in the early rounds. His movement isn't like a boxers and he will try and strike from unusual angles hoping to land one of his big left hands. Conor could also risk taking a hit or two from Floyd just to land a big punch. He shouldn't have much to fear from Floyds power, at least not from single blows

I think he has to try and apply early pressure and try for a quick win. The longer the fight goes it will most likely favour Floyd as he becomes more efficient at analysing Conor's style..

Having said that Floyd is 40 whilst Conor is only 28. Conor could opt to make the fight as close and dirty as possible and utilse some of his wresting skills to tie Floyd up and maybe wear him out. Conor will most likely be the heavier guy and if he can lean on Floyd he may be able to sap his energy a little.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conor obviously worked on his cardio quite a bit for the second fight. I'm sure he will have continued to do so in preparation for this bout. The 3 minute rounds will also give him more chance to recover, 12 boxing rounds is 36 minutes of fighting with 10 minutes of rest vs 25 minutes of fighting with 4 minutes of rest in MMA.

I think Conor will have his best chances in the early rounds. His movement isn't like a boxers and he will try and strike from unusual angles hoping to land one of his big left hands. Conor could also risk taking a hit or two from Floyd just to land a big punch. He shouldn't have much to fear from Floyds power, at least not from single blows

I think he has to try and apply early pressure and try for a quick win. The longer the fight goes it will most likely favour Floyd as he becomes more efficient at analysing Conor's style..

Having said that Floyd is 40 whilst Conor is only 28. Conor could opt to make the fight as close and dirty as possible and utilse some of his wresting skills to tie Floyd up and maybe wear him out. Conor will most likely be the heavier guy and if he can lean on Floyd he may be able to sap his energy a little.

I agree he needs a quick blow out.

Whats your prediction or what percentage are you giving for a McG win?

I can see nothing but a Mayweather win.

Of course,that lucky punch can always land but considering no boxer has ever been credited with putting him down,although Zab Judah did,i cant see someone with such shocking footwork and basic boxing skills managing it.

There is a clip of him sparring a boxer,nobody special,and he looks mediocre as far as boxing goes.

Imo it lasts as long as Mayweather wants it to and from what ive seen of McGregor he gasses very quickly.

This^^^

Only a lucky punch will give McGregor the day, he certainly won't out box him.

Seriously. :hmm:

Yeah seriously. The last time Floyd KO'd anyone it was a sucker punch vs Ortiz, and even then he needed two bites at the cherry. (Not that Ortiz didn't deserve it and should have known better)

The time before that was 1999 in his 21st fight.

Conor has taken big shots from guys in 4oz gloves and even some blows from totally unpadded elbows. Floyd will be wearing 10oz gloves and from what I've heard he chooses a type that protect his delicate hands as much as possible. A barrage of punches could finish Conor but it's unlikely even then to be a genuine KO, rather a TKO.

Here's the thing though. Let's say Conor is comprehensively beaten but only loses on points, Floyd doesn't manage to put him away. Well Conor would have lost but would still walk away from the fight a legend. A guy with minimal boxing experience going 12 rounds with one of the greatest of all time. In the event of that outcome then boxing ends up looking rather silly, and you can guarantee there's no way Floyd is stepping into the Octagon to recover lost honour because Conor would murder him in that fight.

Whatever way you look at it Conor comes out a winner. If Floyd does manage to beat him quickly it's expected by many so no real damage to Conor's career. If Conor wins he's a legend. And either way he makes a huge payday. Love him or hate him he's a clever businessman.

I agree he needs a quick blow out.

Whats your prediction or what percentage are you giving for a McG win?

Small. I thought you'd be able to get at least 10-1 on Conor winning, and even then those odds are probably a bit mean. I'd give him somewhere in the 5-10% chance of actually pulling it off.

Yeah seriously. The last time Floyd KO'd anyone it was a sucker punch vs Ortiz, and even then he needed two bites at the cherry. (Not that Ortiz didn't deserve it and should have known better)

Few people could take a clean shot from any professional boxer, i watched McGregor sparing LOL he would need to improve big time or he will finding that out for himself.

Few people could take a clean shot from any professional boxer, i watched McGregor sparing LOL he would need to improve big time or he will finding that out for himself.

Fortunately Conor is one of those few people. I say again, Conor has never lost a fight by KO or TKO, his losses have all come by way of submission. And Floyd simply is not a big puncher. He will most likely win but it won't be with some single devastating shot, it will be with an accumulation of blows.

The time before that was 1999 in his 21st fight.

Conor has taken big shots from guys in 4oz gloves and even some blows from totally unpadded elbows. Floyd will be wearing 10oz gloves and from what I've heard he chooses a type that protect his delicate hands as much as possible. A barrage of punches could finish Conor but it's unlikely even then to be a genuine KO, rather a TKO.

Here's the thing though. Let's say Conor is comprehensively beaten but only loses on points, Floyd doesn't manage to put him away. Well Conor would have lost but would still walk away from the fight a legend. A guy with minimal boxing experience going 12 rounds with one of the greatest of all time. In the event of that outcome then boxing ends up looking rather silly, and you can guarantee there's no way Floyd is stepping into the Octagon to recover lost honour because Conor would murder him in that fight.

Whatever way you look at it Conor comes out a winner. If Floyd does manage to beat him quickly it's expected by many so no real damage to Conor's career. If Conor wins he's a legend. And either way he makes a huge payday. Love him or hate him he's a clever businessman.

What about Hatton? He put him down twice.

Yes I've seen that video Sako. It's at least a year old and the guy wasn't actually a sparring partner in the true sense of the word. He just sparred against Conor whilst visiting the gym. I'm not saying that the guy's assessment isn't accurate, it could be, but it's dated and I doubt Conor will be wanting to show too much in public before the fight. I watched a video with Luke Thomas and Conor's boxing coach and to say the conversation was cagey would be an understatement, the guy wasn't giving anything away.

Yes I've seen that video Sako. It's at least a year old and the guy wasn't actually a sparring partner in the true sense of the word. He just sparred against Conor whilst visiting the gym. I'm not saying that the guy's assessment isn't accurate, it could be, but it's dated and I doubt Conor will be wanting to show too much in public before the fight. I watched a video with Luke Thomas and Conor's boxing coach and to say the conversation was cagey would be an understatement, the guy wasn't giving anything away.

The actual Youtube video is a recent interview but the boxing clip was a year ago.

Maybe as accurate an assessment as McGregors mural is,lol.

If it doesn't it's because Floyd has walked away from it. Not sure his ego could take that because he would look like a coward.

Just seen this post and the only folk that will think of him as a coward are casuals and MMA fans.

Boxing fans will respect that he walked away from a farce of a fight as the vast,vast majority are calling it that.

Im still in the camp thinking this fight will not take place as there has been no word of the split yet in negotiations and Mayweather is notorious for getting his own way with everything and i doubt very much it will be 50/50.Hes already said that when the split is done McGregor needs to remember who he is and not price himself out of the fight.

Just seen this post and the only folk that will think of him as a coward are casuals and MMA fans.

Boxing fans will respect that he walked away from a farce of a fight as the vast,vast majority are calling it that.

Im still in the camp thinking this fight will not take place as there has been no word of the split yet in negotiations and Mayweather is notorious for getting his own way with everything and i doubt very much it will be 50/50.Hes already said that when the split is done McGregor needs to remember who he is and not price himself out of the fight.

If Floyd had just said he wasn't interested because it was a farce then fair enough. But once he agreed to it, in public, then walking away looks suspect.

The fight has been announced. The details are set. The arena is booked. I just can't see it not happening now.

Conor is going to make high 8 figures, maybe even 9 figures. Yeah for sure Floyd will make more than Conor. Yeah for sure Floyd has had his way with the negotiations, that's why the fight is at 154lbs, so that 10oz gloves are used. That minimizes the risk of Floyd damaging his hands and cuts down on the damage Conor's punches will do.

Floyd is a savvy businessman, but so is Conor. Who else in MMA could have secured a purse like this? Especially for a fight where you're a huge underdog.

If Floyd had just said he wasn't interested because it was a farce then fair enough. But once he agreed to it, in public, then walking away looks suspect.

The fight has been announced. The details are set. The arena is booked. I just can't see it not happening now.

Conor is going to make high 8 figures, maybe even 9 figures. Yeah for sure Floyd will make more than Conor. Yeah for sure Floyd has had his way with the negotiations, that's why the fight is at 154lbs, so that 10oz gloves are used. That minimizes the risk of Floyd damaging his hands and cuts down on the damage Conor's punches will do.

Floyd is a savvy businessman, but so is Conor. Who else in MMA could have secured a purse like this? Especially for a fight where you're a huge underdog.

Totally agree on Conor getting the gig if it happens,the man has talked himself into a once in a lifetime purse for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

So, first press conference done with another 3 to follow. I'd post it but too much swearing for this forum.

Conor his usual self, confident and quite witty. Mayweather I can't comment on as I've never seen one of his press conferences before.

Interesting hearing Conor talk about the rules that had been set on what gloves he was allowed to wear. But then lol moment when Floyd stated he'd fight in 8oz or 4oz gloves, in a ring or an Octagon. Sorry Floyd, I'm not buying that, 4oz gloves would be too risky and he knows it and Octagon, hahaha, funniest thing I've heard in ages. As much as a favourite as Floyd is in the ring he would be just as big an underdog in an MMA match.

Anyway, Mystic Mac has spoken, Floyd unconcious in 4 rounds. :lol: