Mayweather vs McGregor?

Danger-Mouse

Arguably the fact that Conor isn't a boxer is what gives him a better chance in this fight. Boxers can't beat Floyd, that's already been proven.

Conor is going to strike from unusual angles, fight at an unfamiliar range and throw shots that boxing purists will dismiss as "wrong" because they aren't thrown in the way that boxers throw them. That left hand isn't thrown like a boxer would throw it. Conor over extends, doesn't plant his rear foot but when it hits, it hits hard.

As regards the sparring footage, let's not forget that 6 months ago Pauli was saying he'd whoop Conor even if he (Pauli) had a hand tied behind his back, that's not what he was saying after the sparring. Irrespective of whether it was a knockdown or not Pauli freely admitted he'd lost several rounds, in fact the majority in the second session. No doubt Pauli wasn't in top shape but he's still a two weight champion with a lifetime of boxing behind him.

I think you'll find that's what gives Conor no hope at all, he's going to get beat, no doubt at all, the whole things a farse, perpetuated by promoters to relieve those that don't understand boxing of their money.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every clip i watch he looks horrendous and as you say its to be expected considering he has never had a fight as a pro boxer.

Folk say he will take a few things into the ring that Mayweather has never seen and with how ***** he looks i dont doubt it.

This is not how you play a guitar, it's the wrong way to do it . . .

Still sounds pretty good though eh?

Just because something isn't done in the expected or traditional way doesn't mean it's ineffective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryJaFnO4-0

Just because something isn't done in the expected or traditional way doesn't mean it's ineffective.

Get guitar man to fight him then, he'll bring some stuff in the ring not seen before, I bet he won't beat him either though 😂

I'll be throwing a few bob on Connor, but a small fortune (for me anyway) on floyd. The odds on both are favourable.

If you go to BetVictor and open a new account you can bet £1 @100-1 on Conor. There are of course T&Cs and you have to use most of any winnings on future bets before you can withdraw it but if you like a flutter anyway then it's probably worth a few minutes to sign up.

Get guitar man to fight him then, he'll bring some stuff in the ring not seen before, I bet he won't beat him either though

Jeff's guide dog would totally take Floyd. :yes:

If you go to BetVictor and open a new account you can bet £1 @100-1 on Conor. There are of course T&Cs and you have to use most of any winnings on future bets before you can withdraw it but if you like a flutter anyway then it's probably worth a few minutes to sign up.

Cheers DM, I'll have a look

Lol,scraping the barrel there DM.

Does that man play the guitar or doesnt he?Yes,he does!

Does Mac play box or doesnt he?No,he doesnt?

Lol,scraping the barrel there DM.

Does that man play the guitar or doesnt he?Yes,he does!

Does Mac play box or doesnt he?No,he doesnt?

No, not at all.

Does the man play the guitar, yes of course he does, just differently. But despite how well he plays it no one is going to teach someone else how to play the guitar in that fashion. Why not? It obviously works. They don't teach it because it's outside of tradition.

Does Conor box, hmm well that's an interesting question. Does he follow the theories, techniques and the expected norms of a boxer. No probably not. But what is boxing? It's a fight where opponents are allowed to use their hands to fight within a specific rule set. Now does Conor know how to fight? No doubt on that one, you better believe he can.

There was a comment made by a boxing analyst/commentator about the workout Conor did in public. The guy was laughing and saying that Conor's team didn't even know how to lace on the gloves properly. If Conor does land a flush left on Floyd's chin do you really think how the gloves are laced on with have any bearing on the result of that shot? That attitude is what's coming through from boxing fans but just because what Conor is doing doesn't look like "boxing" doesn't mean it can't work.

From another fight. Don't get trapped on the ropes. Don't let him hit you, you can't take his shots, he's too powerful . . . exactly what Ali did when he rope-a-doped Foreman. Unconventional, some would say suicidal tactics, but they won Ali the fight.

Look at Prince Naseem Hamid's early fights. Horrible "boxing" technique, hands down, relying purely on reflexes to dodge punches, but by god it proved effective for a while.

Great boxers have tried to beat Floyd and they've failed. Why? Because Floyd pretty much knows everything there is to know about boxing. Why? Because all boxing gyms teach the same fundamentals. So logic must follow that if you want to beat Floyd you either have to be much better at boxing than he is, which Conor clearly isn't. Or you have to present Floyd with something he has never seen before and that it will take him time to adjust to. That adjustment time is Conor's window of opportunity.

Am I going to bet my savings on a Conor win? Hell no! All along I've stated he's the underdog and will probably lose. But I'm not willing to dismiss his chances of pulling off that unlikely victory simply because he doesn't "box".

Round 1 36-1

Round 2 34-1

Round 3 34-1

Round 4 29-1

Considering that there are only two people fighting in the ring those are incredible odds. It only takes one lucky punch and you could be well in the money.

I don't think Connor will win and I hope he doesn't but I'll be putting a few quid on.

No, not at all.

Does the man play the guitar, yes of course he does, just differently. But despite how well he plays it no one is going to teach someone else how to play the guitar in that fashion. Why not? It obviously works. They don't teach it because it's outside of tradition.

Does Conor box, hmm well that's an interesting question. Does he follow the theories, techniques and the expected norms of a boxer. No probably not. But what is boxing? It's a fight where opponents are allowed to use their hands to fight within a specific rule set. Now does Conor know how to fight? No doubt on that one, you better believe he can.

There was a comment made by a boxing analyst/commentator about the workout Conor did in public. The guy was laughing and saying that Conor's team didn't even know how to lace on the gloves properly. If Conor does land a flush left on Floyd's chin do you really think how the gloves are laced on with have any bearing on the result of that shot? That attitude is what's coming through from boxing fans but just because what Conor is doing doesn't look like "boxing" doesn't mean it can't work.

From another fight. Don't get trapped on the ropes. Don't let him hit you, you can't take his shots, he's too powerful . . . exactly what Ali did when he rope-a-doped Foreman. Unconventional, some would say suicidal tactics, but they won Ali the fight.

Look at Prince Naseem Hamid's early fights. Horrible "boxing" technique, hands down, relying purely on reflexes to dodge punches, but by god it proved effective for a while.

Great boxers have tried to beat Floyd and they've failed. Why? Because Floyd pretty much knows everything there is to know about boxing. Why? Because all boxing gyms teach the same fundamentals. So logic must follow that if you want to beat Floyd you either have to be much better at boxing than he is, which Conor clearly isn't. Or you have to present Floyd with something he has never seen before and that it will take him time to adjust to. That adjustment time is Conor's window of opportunity.

Am I going to bet my savings on a Conor win? Hell no! All along I've stated he's the underdog and will probably lose. But I'm not willing to dismiss his chances of pulling off that unlikely victory simply because he doesn't "box".

So,you can dismiss Mayweathers chances in MMA saying he wouldnt last a round but im thinking you are finding it hard for us to dismiss Macs chances in a boxing match.

You actually said there would be no doubt who won the fight if Mac turns it into MMA and even gets disqualified.Wrong,he loses no matter how much you want to pretend he won.

Just face it,most boxing fans think its a one sided affair,and plenty MMA fans think Mac has a chance.

Roll on the fight and we will see whos correct.

My shout with the new gloves is Mayweather getting the KO from 6 on although he could get it sooner if he wanted to but hes safety first.Hopefully he stays injury free as hes no spring chicken and the hands hold up.

So,you can dismiss Mayweathers chances in MMA saying he wouldnt last a round but im thinking you are finding it hard for us to dismiss Macs chances in a boxing match.

Has Floyd ever trained in ju-jitsu or wrestling, has he ever thrown or blocked a kick? Simple answer no. Without those weapons you just don't stand much chance in an MMA fight. If Conor or whoever was silly enough to try and stand and duke it out in 4oz gloves then yes Floyd would stand a chance, albeit a lesser chance because he wouldn't be used to blocking/taking kicks. But the minute that other fighter throws in a takedown or pulls guard then Floyd is a dead man. He could train for a year in ju-jitsu and wrestling but it won't help him much, as proven by the recent CM Punk fight. So yeah barring stupid tactical decisions I can mostly disregard Floyd in an MMA match.

I've never disputed that Floyd is the favourite. What I dispute is the fact that many boxing fans give Conor no chance at all. What happens if Floyd breaks his hand in the first round or two?

Conor is younger, bigger, stronger and perhaps most importantly of all, he's hungrier. Floyds reasons for fighting are dubious, money perhaps or maybe legacy.

In the beginning it was "Conor won't land a punch". Then the Malignaggi footage came out and it was "Yeah but Pauli is retired and out of shape". What will the excuse be on the 27th if Conor does win?

Has Floyd ever trained in ju-jitsu or wrestling, has he ever thrown or blocked a kick? Simple answer no. Without those weapons you just don't stand much chance in an MMA fight. If Conor or whoever was silly enough to try and stand and duke it out in 4oz gloves then yes Floyd would stand a chance, albeit a lesser chance because he wouldn't be used to blocking/taking kicks. But the minute that other fighter throws in a takedown or pulls guard then Floyd is a dead man. He could train for a year in ju-jitsu and wrestling but it won't help him much, as proven by the recent CM Punk fight. So yeah barring stupid tactical decisions I can mostly disregard Floyd in an MMA match.

I've never disputed that Floyd is the favourite. What I dispute is the fact that many boxing fans give Conor no chance at all. What happens if Floyd breaks his hand in the first round or two?

Conor is younger, bigger, stronger and perhaps most importantly of all, he's hungrier. Floyds reasons for fighting are dubious, money perhaps or maybe legacy.

In the beginning it was "Conor won't land a punch". Then the Malignaggi footage came out and it was "Yeah but Pauli is retired and out of shape". What will the excuse be on the 27th if Conor does win?

He will use his other one??

Mayweather has had to deal with younger,bigger,stronger and hungrier BOXERS through his career so those words are pure hollow to me and most boxing fans.

What will the excuse be if he wins,lets wait and see?I prefer reasons personally as if Mayweather gets injured and loses its a reason,not an excuse.If the fights goes the distance with no injuries and Mac wins or KOs him then there will be excuses.

Lol at the "footage" released by Macs own people.

Its sure working to get the MMA fans a bit moist anyway.

Ive never said Mac cant win as we all know it can take one punch or an injury to turn the tide,but its still a farce fight all about the coin.

I think its just time to stop quoting others opinions and taking umbrage at them and just look forward to the fight.

I'm still not convinced its going to happen, other than yet another big pay day which he doesn't need i cant see any benefit for Floyd , Conor can't loose, he'll get payed gets to spout rubbish and could get lucky and drop Mayweather if he catches him show boating.

Roll on a week on Sunday, then we'll know

With this not far away now, I am still strugglng to get anyway excited about it. To be honest I still just dont get it and cant look past that I think it is all a farce. See post on page 1 for reference.

I seem to be in the minority as it seems the whole world is buying into it and takng it as a serious fight. What I dont like is the abuse and self proclaimed supriority that is coming from a lot of boxing fans. Being both a Boxing and UFC fan the former for obviously longer as I was a slow convert to MMA, It really doesnt sit well with me. I fully understand that Boxing is an Art of its own but so is MMA.

Truth be told Boxing was in a poor state up until recently the past year or so with some very poor high profile fights that in no way lived up to expectations. The UFC was definitely taking over but in fairness Boxing has redeemed itself with some great match ups in recent times. It seems all the boxing fans are coming out of the woodwork and slating McGregor but at the end of the day he is also a professional athlete and most Boxers at his weight would not last to long in McGregors world. In fact if t was one on one in the Street Mayweather would be annhilated in a very short space of time.

However to Quote GGG 'Ths is Boxing' and I just can not see Conor outboxing Mayweather. It just will not happen ! However to suggest Mayweather would beat McGreogor with one hand is laughable to say the least and typifies what I dislike about the way Boxing Fans are being so arrogant as if McGregor is some kind of Joke who cant fight.

As I say i stll dont fully get what this is all about and still maintain its a farce but I will be watchng it to see just exactly what does happen, If it is a serious fight then my money would be on Mayweather to totally outbox Conor but If I was Mayweather I wouldnt take McGregor to be the joke some think that he is !

Others laughed before at Conor but here s a cheesey reminder that he is no Fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYFGuCc-58