Mayweather vs McGregor?

Danger-Mouse

Following his retirement from boxing, Mayorga decided to properly embark on a professional MMA career and faced Wesley Tiffer on May 3, 2013. He was kept on the ground but able to survive round 1. Tiffer continued to grapple with him on the ground until Mayorga landed a controversial and illegal knee to Tiffer's spine, that of which ultimately heard Tiffer screaming after the blow. Mayorga won via TKO after Tiffer didn't answer the bell for round 3. The Nicaraguan Mixed Martial Arts Commission declared the fight a No Contest for the illegal knee a week later on May 10, 2013 and also suspended Mayorga for 3 months for being 20 pounds over the contracted weight limit of 165-lbs.[5]

These MMA guys need to man up a wee bit and sort their fitness and stamina.

Cant take a bit of rough and tumble with an ex boxer.

Rules are rules, even MMA has restrictions.

Btw, how did Mayorga do in his next 3 MMA fights? :whistling:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear in mind that the fight went ahead with about 3 months notice. That's not a lot of time to seriously improve your cardio for a style of fighting you're unused to. Pro boxers slowly build up through a series of fights starting at 3 rounds, then 6, then 10 before fighting 12 rounds in championship fights.

Had Mayweather who had not being in the ring for 2 years, not the same amount of time to prepare for the fight or am i missing something. :hmm:

Interestingly quite a few boxing commentators have agreed that Conor won 3 or 4 of the early rounds and some even have Conor ahead on points at the start of round 9.

Only because Mayweather let him, he did not have the punching power to take out Conor so he let him win the fight for him by punching him self out. Only then did Mayweather seriously go for him.

Interestingly quite a few boxing commentators have agreed that Conor won 3 or 4 of the early rounds and some even have Conor ahead on points at the start of round 9.

Like who, any examples. ?

Edited by ordnance

Somebody must be trolling the interweb.

They have put a thing on saying CM has a 2 month suspension from fighting due to the battering he got from a 40 year old retired midget.

Must be trolling or if correct these MMA guys should get in shape.

The only person trolling is you but WTH .. .

Yeah a fighting suspension of a couple of months is standard after a tko or ko, nothing to get excited about, especially given that there's no way Conor has any intention of fighting during that period.

Battering? You're funny, Floyd managed to raise a little mouse under Conor's eye. The stoppage was down to fatigue not damage.

Let's compare a couple of pictures shall we?

This is Floyd and Conor after their boxing match . . .

mayweather-comments1.jpg

Now this is Conor and Nate after their fight

37741A3D00000578-3751207-image-m-19_1471

So do you think after an MMA match Floyd would look more like Conor in the first picture, or like Nate in the second one, hmmm?

Had Mayweather who had not being in the ring for 2 years, not the same amount of time to prepare for the fight or am i missing something. :hmm:

Only because Mayweather let him, he did not have the punching power to take out Conor so he let him win the fight for him by punching him self out. Only then did Mayweather seriously go for him.

Like who, any examples. ?

You're not missing something, you're choosing to ignore something you've pointed out time and time again in this thread, that Floyd had 20 years experience in this game and Conor had none.

There's a tactical element, that's true. Everyone knows Floyd likes to take a few rounds to assess his opponents. But I believe Conor caused him some problems in those early rounds. Conor landed plenty of jabs, that uppercut, and showed great footwork at times stepping round Floyd to hit him from obscure angles. Whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter because even if Floyd deliberately gave up those rounds he still lost them . . . or should have but for the dodgy boxing judges. Hell, Oscar De La Hoya gave Conor the first 3 and he was one of the outspoken critics of the fight. Also, ask yourself this, if Conor was so ineffective why did the greatest boxer of all time keep turning his back on the amateur eh?

I believe it was one of the Showtime panels but I could be wrong, I've seen a lot of video about the fight.

You're not missing something, you're choosing to ignore something you've pointed out time and time again in this thread, that Floyd had 20 years experience in this game and Conor had none.

I am sure Conor had plenty of advisers and trainers regarding fitness. 40 years old in the boxing game is near a pensioner.

Bear in mind that the fight went ahead with about 3 months notice. That's not a lot of time to seriously improve your cardio for a style of fighting you're unused to. Pro boxers slowly build up through a series of fights starting at 3 rounds, then 6, then 10 before fighting 12 rounds in championship fights.

Edited by ordnance

What has that to do with their fitness for the fight. ? I am sure Conor had plenty of advisers and trainers regarding fitness.

Because there are different kinds of fitness. Floyd despite retiring kept himself in shape and because he;s so experienced everything was natural and relied on muscle memory not thought. If this match had been 25 minutes of wrestling and jujitsu do you think Floyd's fitness would have held up so well?

This fight could possibly have gone the distance had the referee not been so quick to break the fighters everytime they clinched. Conor could possibly have grabbed some rest during the clinches and that might possibly have been enough. Not particularly a criticism of the referee just an observation.

I am sure Conor had plenty of advisers and trainers regarding fitness. 40 years old in the boxing game is near a pensioner.

Shocking that a 40 year old thats been retired for 2 years was so far ahead in terms of conditioning and stamnina.

Also shocking that some actually thought that CM doesnt gas.

Because there are different kinds of fitness. Floyd despite retiring kept himself in shape and because he;s so experienced everything was natural and relied on muscle memory not thought. If this match had been 25 minutes of wrestling and jujitsu do you think Floyd's fitness would have held up so well?

This fight could possibly have gone the distance had the referee not been so quick to break the fighters everytime they clinched. Conor could possibly have grabbed some rest during the clinches and that might possibly have been enough. Not particularly a criticism of the referee just an observation.

I don't know what your trying to prove, Conor gassing out had far more to do with mayweathers experience than either of their conditioning. Mayweather is not a big hitter, he often goes the distance with opponents, Conor was mediocre at best all though hats off to him, he did well considering his background, although he is probably one of the best strikers in mma. You were told what would happen before the fight and seem to be clutching at straws trying to prove that Conor is somehow better at boxing than he is. He's a class act in mma, a world class boxer he is not.

I see some on this thread are quick to shun McGregor, even his own fellow countrymen, but you have to admire him for trying. I'd like to see those who speak negatively of him step into his shoes for a day. McGregor has stepped into the boxing world, but I don't see anybody from the boxing world volunteering to step into McGregors domain. I suppose some were just born into environments of hatred and ignorance, and will never know the pleasures of experiencing anything other than those feelings.

I see some on this thread are quick to shun McGregor, even his own fellow countrymen, but you have to admire him for trying. I'd like to see those who speak negatively of him step into his shoes for a day. McGregor has stepped into the boxing world, but I don't see anybody from the boxing world volunteering to step into McGregors domain. I suppose some were just born into environments of hatred and ignorance, and will never know the pleasures of experiencing anything other than those feelings.

No I don't. And I'd happily step into a ring with Mayweather if I was going to get a $300 million payday for it. That is the reality of the fight, it was all about money - so much so that it was actually on the ridiculous belt they made up especially for the fight.

Why do I have to admire someone who put nothing on the line, was expected to lose and then lost and got paid an absurd amount of money to do it?

McGregor has stepped into the boxing world, but I don't see anybody from the boxing world volunteering to step into McGregors domain.

No one from the boxing world was slabbering that they could step into McGregors domain and teach him a lesson in mixed martial arts. Unlike McGregor that was going to give Mayweather a boxing lesson, as it turned all it proved was he was not fit enough and a good armature could out box McGregor.

Edited by ordnance

No one from the boxing world was slabbering that they could step into McGregors domain and teach him a lesson in mixed martial arts. Unlike McGregor that was going to give Mayweather a boxing lesson, as it turned all it proved was he was not fit enough and a good armature could out box McGregor.

Nobody in the boxing world has any guts in other words. Would love to see someone pluck up some courage and offer McGregor out for a real fight. McGregor would wipe the floor with them. I must admit that I'm disappointed that you don't feel in any way supportive of your fellow countryman. He made us all proud, regardless of the outcome.

Nobody in the boxing world has any guts in other words. Would love to see someone pluck up some courage and offer McGregor out for a real fight. McGregor would wipe the floor with them. I must admit that I'm disappointed that you don't feel in any way supportive of your fellow countryman. He made us all proud, regardless of the outcome.

Because no boxer wants to fight McGasser in the Octagon they have no guts?

It's not about having guts, it's about having the sense and intelligence to know your not going to Beat someone at their own sport, the most disrespect has been shown by McGregor who gave mayweather no respect for his talent as a boxer. Edited by 12gauge82