NHS

Bigbob

Our local hospital offer a pre booked private room off the main ward for routine operations. Its £150 a night, private bathroom and shower and a different food menu. for £175 you get a relatives bed and 2 meals - all the cash profit goes back to the general ward to pay for the TV and Internet access along with extra tea runs and books.

I have had nothing but brilliant service from the NHS (and i also have private medical insurance) the only time i have had to use it was when the NHS classed an injury sustained at work as cosmetic so i had to wait 6 or so months for an operation - private i was in the end of the week with the (at the time) best Maxio Facial surgeon in the UK.

I do remember going in (well being sent by NHS Direct) to A&E when i was dizzy and couldn't stop vomiting, the consultant said we can give you a tablet that will take a few hours to work or an injection that will work straight away but cost £ whatever he said - i was that bad i said no issues i will write you a cheque or card just do the do. when i left i asked about squaring up - i was told the injection was infact expensive and it was just a tickler to actually see how bad i was prior to giving it.

I do think its time that the Free at point of use was dropped - but a lot of people who i come into contact with who work in the NHS said average Joe would loose out as the frequent flyers wouldnt have to pay anyway due to benefits status and the like. It was also mentioned 20% of people use the NHS 90% of the time, i cant remember when i heard it but i am sure it was on the news?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been fortunate enough to have had private health insurance for the family provided by my employers ever since I started working. However now that I am 'between jobs' I am paying for it myself. Managed to the cover extended by the incumbent provider so there are no existing medical conditions excluded. Cost is £350/month. Haven't used the NHS for years apart from GP visits which 9 time out of 10 are for referrals to private consultants. I'll continue to pay for private for as long as I can afford it.

Interesting enough but stats, well, could be dream time?

On a recent visit to the surgery I was accosted by a lady from NHS England for my personal views of the set up.

To cut a long story short I am not particularly impressed, equally all of the other patients I heard interviewed seemed to feel the same with a few real spleen venting regulars.

The upside? a good report from the NHS team.

No barrier to criticism as far as I can see.

IMHO, it needs to survive for the good of most of the population.

What it can't do is cope with the abuse in all forms that it gets from patients, Consultants, GP's, administrators, MP's and the media.

While it is a political pawn it's doomed to failure.

It can't survive without serious, considered, and proportionate reform which we all know it will not get.

I know a few senior nursing staff who would walk away today given the opportunity given their apalling working conditions.

I would add that that if you are treated privately for something and there is a life threatening situation, you will be shipped out immediately to the NHS as a damage limitation exercise before you snuff it.

Just a personal view from one who has been saved a few times by the NHS.

What is killing the NHS is all of the PPI Hospitals that are costing is a fortune then they are slowly privatising everything they closed all of the good council owned care homes I can see in a few years we will be just like the US the well off can pay for good health insurance the rest get the crumbs but hell I'm old I will be dead soon so its up to the younger people to do something about it.

What is killing the NHS is all of the PPI Hospitals that are costing is a fortune then they are slowly privatising everything they closed all of the good council owned care homes I can see in a few years we will be just like the US the well off can pay for good health insurance the rest get the crumbs but hell I'm old I will be dead soon so its up to the younger people to do something about it.

Not far off the mark there.

The idiocy of it all is the fact that the ongoing costs are astronomical and we will never own any of it, presumably that goes for the public land they are on too.

Fire stations, Hospitals all going here, even the Ambulances.

What defeats me is the premise that it's ok to make a profit from the public purse, and I have heard the fantasy of profit from savings made.

Still as you say it might see us out?

Mrs's went into hospital to have hips done,one done 3 months later the other..

She was in 2 days,day after surgery was walking about,same with the other leg.

Another women in there refused to get out of bed at all,,cursed the chinese girl that was looking after her,Told to get her filthy hands of her,,the misses wanted to wring her neck as did most of the other patients,,God they have to put up with some stick..

A lot of surgery is now keyhole,out the same day,what a blessing..

Anyone who winges should be sent home to suffer,they do their very best to give everyone the care that is available under very hard curcumstances..

Either put up or shut up,when I was a kid you were lucky the doctor didn't pin you to the kitchen table and take your tonsils out..Where it is going wrong to many people who are not in danger of dying are blocking it with silly warts and blemishes etc,etc..

It was not designed for petty things,you were seriously ill if you went into Hospital..

Lets stop shouting about the NHS,you are Very Lucky to have it..

Mrs's went into hospital to have hips done,one done 3 months later the other..

She was in 2 days,day after surgery was walking about,same with the other leg.

Another women in there refused to get out of bed at all,,cursed the chinese girl that was looking after her,Told to get her filthy hands of her,,the misses wanted to wring her neck as did most of the other patients,,God they have to put up with some stick..

A lot of surgery is now keyhole,out the same day,what a blessing..

Anyone who winges should be sent home to suffer,they do their very best to give everyone the care that is available under very hard curcumstances..

Either put up or shut up,when I was a kid you were lucky the doctor didn't pin you to the kitchen table and take your tonsils out..Where it is going wrong to many people who are not in danger of dying are blocking it with silly warts and blemishes etc,etc..

It was not designed for petty things,you were seriously ill if you went into Hospital..

Lets stop shouting about the NHS,you are Very Lucky to have it..

Too right!