Capacitor help

activeviii

IMG_20170416_181406_zpsm4k8olve.png

Anybody know where or what i can replace this with please. its out of my bench grinder and it burnt out a few years ago. i use to just spin the grinder and turn it on, always worked fine but i think i really need to replace the capacitor.

any help would be good ta muchly

all the best

Phil

so that should run it just fine? i have no idea what the UF is or does. lol.

Yes its close enough. Think of the uF as the power rating. The start capacitor gives the motor a kick start once running the power from the capacitor drops out as once the motor is going it then runs happily on the run windings. You can go to high but I have fitted 15uF in place of 12uF with no problem. A bit more googling will find the exact one anyway.

As an aside, it's nice to see someone repairing, rather than skipping, a domestic item.

So many tv's etc make it to the dump due to a simple capacitor failure, even surface mount components can be replaced if your careful and have the right tools.

Had one pack up on my Air Comppressor,Sort of expanded and melted lol.

Easy fix,just bought another off net..

Totally agree - plus some replacements are made so cheaply compared to what people throw away.

Done quite a few repairs over the years, one that I didn't do myself though was on the first generation of Sky HD Thomson satellite boxes - some 15 years back.

The capacitors used to swell and cause power issues and then eventually fail - new box was circa £150

I found a cracking guy in Buxton who unsoldered the failing ones and replaced with quality ones.

I seem to remember getting back a bag of a dozen plus faulty capacitors and parting with a very reasonable £20

More simple things I do myself but this was just a bit too big for me.

ATB.

Edited by station

Slight change of topic but related to buying new vs fixing. My canon inkjet printer packed up. It had served us well but one of the jets was blocked. Tried all of the tips on YouTube on how to clear but didn't work. Rather than throwing it away Iooked at buying a new print head. It is only a small plastic tray but has some precision holes in it so the cost was £49. The cost of a replacement Printer - newer model with additional features - £49.

Work that out.

Slight change of topic but related to buying new vs fixing. My canon inkjet printer packed up. It had served us well but one of the jets was blocked. Tried all of the tips on YouTube on how to clear but didn't work. Rather than throwing it away Iooked at buying a new print head. It is only a small plastic tray but has some precision holes in it so the cost was £49. The cost of a replacement Printer - newer model with additional features - £49.

Work that out.

Do not want to hijack this origanal post.

But bought a LASER PRINTER,No blokages it heats the ink up every time..

Never buy colour printers anyway,pain in the backside,have a loft full of them..