Gun room

rimfire4969

I have a cupboard in my house that's roughly 3ft X 3ft, it's where I keep my gun cabinet and cartridges etc. All the walls on three sides are solid, proper Cornish farm house walls 2ft thick. Oak door on the front.

I have run out of room in my cabinet and have my guns wedged in top to tail and am thinking about another cabinet possibly a 14 gun or so.

How easy would it be to strengthen the entry into my cupboard with internal plates and locks to make it into one large cabinet with a smaller safe inside for rifle ammo? Maybe the guns on a rack having a security wire through trigger guards.

I have looked for specs online without much luck, does anyone have any ideas of what I would need to do.

I will get my feo to have a gander before I start something that might prove pointless.

Any help what be appreciated.

My best guess would be, a security door and frame and possibly a monitored alarm, and then an ammo safe bolted to the wall. I think it would depend on the material the walls are made of. I dont think a security door would be cheap though.

Like I said this is just a guess. Be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Edited by Newbie to this

Security door and frame around £250 on fleabay.

you would need to put expamet in the cieling to stop entry from above.

This is what I have plus alarms as am an RFD

The house is alarmed and cctv monitoring covering all access points to the house. I would need to keep the oak door in place to match the other internal doors so maybe a door behind a door.

Speak to FEO but I got a large cupboard tiny box room with out windows we called it the cell. I fitted a steel framed steel door and kitted out the inside to be a gun room complete with reloading bench desk a small arm chair to relax in after long days shooting as I clean my guns reflected on the day in my game book

Speak to FEO but I got a large cupboard tiny box room with out windows we called it the cell. I fitted a steel framed steel door and kitted out the inside to be a gun room complete with reloading bench desk a small arm chair to relax in after long days shooting as I clean my guns reflected on the day in my game book

Nice, I wish I had that luxury, all my cleaning is done in the shed, on a work bench. On the plus side I do have an old bar stool to sit on

Speak to your FEO and seek his advice, after all it is him and his colleagues that will have to accept whatever you do.

+1

I had toyed with turning my bedroom Into a gun room- having worked at a stately home mid renovation recently with a gun room being constructed, only problem would be is Mrs Matt not being allowed a key for access- I made her do a few nights trial sleeping on the landing 😐 it didn't go well as I kept tripping over her when I got up to p 😡

Edited by Me matt

Complete newbie to all this, but I have noticed (not in this thread but elsewhere) that a lot of bo****ks seems to be put forward as fact.

It seems to me that if a 2mm steel placed cabinet is deemed sufficient security, then deterrence is the requirement, not physical prevention.

That seems borne out by a quick Google...

Dyfed-Powys Police Guidance For Security of Firearms / Shotguns states:

"Gun Room

The provision of a dedicated gun room within a dwelling will be permitted only where the fabric of the room is of brick or masonry (but not breeze block) and where there are no windows. The room shall be secured by a steel faced door and frame, secured to the fabric of the building by rag bolting at least 12swg thick. Two BS3621 mortice locks or high security close shackled padlocks with hardened staples conforming to BS3621 having differing keys at points one third and two thirds the length of the door, shall be required.

It will not be permissible for a dedicated gun room to have a dual purpose.

Applicants for certificates whose main or only place of residence is a mobile home, caravan

or similar must store their firearms and shotguns in an approved gun cabinet securely fixed

to the chassis of the mobile home or caravan.

Additional security, for example an alarm system may be required dependant on the individual circumstances."

It seems to me from that that you should fine with a security door. I'd imagine the alarm will be for less physically secure rooms, and that there's no further requirement to reinforce walls, floor or ceiling.

I'd second the vote to get your feo in and discuss with them.

Edited by Granett

You can get away with steel sheet on the back of the oak door. This along with updated door furniture is enough . Some steel mesh screwed to the roof will also be required. The specs are available online. I have just converted a gun room.

This is more they way I would like. The door is inch thick oak with steel sheet on the back locking into a steel surround with 2 or 3 high security locks should do the job, maybe as I said before a steel security wire bolted to the wall passed through the trigger guards would help. I will give my feo a call and see if he can pop over.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

My feo has had a look and can see no problems, the walls are all stone so I will reinforce the inside of the door with 3mm steel sheets which will also be hinged to a steel surround around the door internally and fitted with 2, 7 lever dead locks. The door opens out so you cant kick it in. Inside my 3ft x 3ft Gunroom I will rack my guns and run a security cable though the trigger guards fastened one end to the wall and the other end a good big padlock. Also I will put in a smaller safe for rifle ammo and bolts.

So my wife will be happy that the expensive oak door will look the same on the out side apart from a key hole top and bottom.

Very pleased.

Update:

My feo has had a look and can see no problems, the walls are all stone so I will reinforce the inside of the door with 3mm steel sheets which will also be hinged to a steel surround around the door internally and fitted with 2, 7 lever dead locks. The door opens out so you cant kick it in. Inside my 3ft x 3ft Gunroom I will rack my guns and run a security cable though the trigger guards fastened one end to the wall and the other end a good big padlock. Also I will put in a smaller safe for rifle ammo and bolts.

So my wife will be happy that the expensive oak door will look the same on the out side apart from a key hole top and bottom.

Very pleased.

Common sense seems to have prevailed for once.

Solid walls, steel lined door and some decent locks. Better than a cabinet.

A little tip though would be don't use a security chain but a nylon covered wire rope using ferrules to form loops at each end. Much easier on guns.

Atb

Edd