How much is reasonable for garden clearance.

Sprackles

As title really.

Got an overgrown patch about 12 foot by 30 foot I want clearing of brambles, old shed removing and area leveling and graveling/stoning and a new shed 8x8 with about 20 foot run of fencing to top a 4 foot wall off to 6 foot.

It used to be where my chickens roamed but since Mr Fox did his deed I have left it. Want to use it myself now instead of more chooks.

Never had anyone do this sort of thing before but since the old body started to get old and refuses to work like it used to I have to go down this route.

Got someone coming to have a look but he wants to know what my budget is so he doesn't waste his time pricing up for me to knock him back.

Not keen on telling him a budget as he may just price right up to it when it could be done cheaper.

Got £5,000 allocated to this project max, am I hoping too much ?

Any ideas what sort of price it could be done for if there are any gardeners on here?

Hate to suggest it as it's something I don't like to go on myself, but are you on facebook, there seem to be tons of people doing this type of work near me and advertising on FB is various local groups and they seem to want to have the work and are willing to quote for it.

I personally wouldn't trust anyone who asked me for my budget for this type of thing, is not as though you are asking him to design and plant a particular garden for you but a very straight forward clearing and construction job.

Hate to suggest it as it's something I don't like to go on myself, but are you on facebook, there seem to be tons of people doing this type of work near me and advertising on FB is various local groups and they seem to want to have the work and are willing to quote for it.

I personally wouldn't trust anyone who asked me for my budget for this type of thing, is not as though you are asking him to design and plant a particular garden for you but a very straight forward clearing and construction job.

I got this one through facebook on a gardening forum I use.

I asked for recommendations and this one popped mentioned by a few on there.

He does have a good few job before and after pics which look fantastic but all are far larger projects than I am wanting.

Also got loads of people messaging me with no work pics or any hint that they know what they are doing.

I hate that what is your budget question, its a total cheek. Avoid,

The reason we ask a client whay their budget is to ascertain whether the job is viable or not- fiver says your the sort of guy who wanta to know exactly what the garage or plumbers hourly rates are before going ahead 😡

To be fair, the guy could be asking you budget so he could price accordingly. Will he be ordering finest welsh slate chippings for your 'gravel area' or 15 ton of type 1 from a builders merchant. It would also get my senses tingling if I was asked but just trying to put the other side across. You'll know what sort of guy he is when you get your 2nd and 3rd quotes, no obligation to go with him.

Post up some before and after pictures too. Always nice a to see a few pictures instead of pages of text.

The reason we ask a client whay their budget is to ascertain whether the job is viable or not- fiver says your the sort of guy who wanta to know exactly what the garage or plumbers hourly rates are before going ahead 😡

Asking what an hourly rate is wrong?

A quote is a quote, I tender for massive works on the farm, and ask for quotes on small ones, never, ever would I say what my budget is until I've had a quote and agreed.

It's none of your business what I want to pay, that's why you give a quote or estimate and me as a customer weighs it up alongside other quotes.

If I want a quote for work I'm not divulging my budget, awful

Way of running a business.

Edited by kyska

To be fair, the guy could be asking you budget so he could price accordingly. Will he be ordering finest welsh slate chippings for your 'gravel area' or 15 ton of type 1 from a builders merchant. It would also get my senses tingling if I was asked but just trying to put the other side across. You'll know what sort of guy he is when you get your 2nd and 3rd quotes, no obligation to go with him.

Post up some before and after pictures too. Always nice a to see a few pictures instead of pages of text.

It's hard landscaping, the polishing can be decided at any point.

He wasn't asking for an hourly rate, there are many different aspects of the work he requires and relevant material, fencing per hour? Really?

Ok, you accused the chap being the 'type' to ask what a plumber would charge hourly? Agreed?

So, I like many others would ask 'how long will this take, and how much do you charge per hour?'

What's wrong with that?

It's a 'quote'

So, the chap wants a quote for the work, any decent contractor (and I deal with lots) would take the time to tender for the work, giving their best price at the time, the customer will decline or go ahead.

There isn't a place for cherry picking jobs, quote or don't, don't go skimming jobs unless you can afford to turn them down.

Edited by kyska

So many variables.

I've been to quote jobs where the client wants sows purse for pigs ear prices. No outlay for them but an hour of my day and diesel costs to be told "ooh, I only budgeted 89p for the kitchen" or " I had me a quote for £2.26 Can you match it ? "

No.

The day is long over due quotes are charged for as in Europe to remove cowboy customers ( not accusing previous posters of being these before the mud slinging starts )

Ok, you accused the chap being the 'type' to ask what a plumber would charge hourly? Agreed?

So, I like many others would ask 'how long will this take, and how much do you charge per hour?'

What's wrong with that?

It's a 'quote'

I didn't accuse anyone of anything- even more so YOU! Although you chose reply.

But thanks for openly admitting YOU ask the value of a job before committing - you being a farmer are bound to want to know what's in it for you to produce certain products- correct ? You'll grow/ rear for the best rewards- correct?

I didn't accuse anyone of anything- even more so YOU! Although you chose reply.

But thanks for openly admitting YOU ask the value of a job before committing - you being a farmer are bound to want to know what's in it for you to produce certain products- correct ? You'll grow/ rear for the best rewards- correct?

Hmmm, your post bets a fiver he's the 'type' of chap to ask hourly rates, again, pinning this question, what's wrong with that?

Asking what I'm paying for and how much surely is a reasonable question?

Everyone has a return on what they pay for, financial or enjoyment, don't see the point of me living on a farm to any other person wanting the best price for a job, do you?

Edited by kyska

Is there a reason OP you can't do this yourself? If you bought the materials yourself, purchased a good shed and did the digging shifting yourself you could probably come in under £2000. Quite a few shed companies will erect your shed on site for you. Just a thought. You could spend the left over on a nice new gun or two.

Is there a reason OP you can't do this yourself? If you bought the materials yourself, purchased a good shed and did the digging shifting yourself you could probably come in under £2000. Quite a few shed companies will erect your shed on site for you. Just a thought. You could spend the left over on a nice new gun or two.

The OP said he's not up for it, so he's looking for a decent contractor, who'll give him a quote without knowing his budget.

It's a simple conundrum.

Last time I went to the dentist I wasn't asked 'what's yer budget?'

I simply asked how much will this cost, then I decided if I can afford it.

I don't understand the complexity of the topic.

don't see the point of me living on a farm to any other person wanting the best price for a job, do you?

So according to you this obviously excludes anyone running a business 🤔

That concludes our discussion - I find it difficult sometime to educate ignorance.

i have never asked what is your budget,it has no bearing on my price,i give the price and if its accepted fine if not also fine,its all part of business nobody gets every job they go for.if i asked someone for a price and they asked my budget i would simply say its ok i dont need a price from you anymore.

If someone asked me what my budget was they would be shown the door. Price for a good job. If the price is right, you get the job.

Simple really.

Precisely. Ludicrous to tell someone what your budget is, unless you fancy paying more than you would have, had you kept your mouth shut.