Powder ID ?

they used vectan but changed to cheaper powder a few years back (like most retail reloading shops)

without a picture is hard to guess; but as i said, manufacturer have powders made up to specific requirements so, would never copy one and wouldn't question the charge :lol:

there was a discussion a while ago on some Gamebore overpodering their light ish shell with A0 ....

but if you cna add a pci we can all have a pop at guessing :lol:

I'm sure somewhere on the boxes/website it says made to a 'special Scottish recipe' or something like that. Maybe it's oats :lol:

Only ever used their 20bore clay loads but found them to be excellent, soft shooting and feel well made. I also contacted Caledonian once and found them to be extremely polite and helpful. Were the cartridges more readily available near me then I'd be happy to use them exclusively.

I'm sure somewhere on the boxes/website it says made to a 'special Scottish recipe' or something like that. Maybe it's oats :lol:

Only ever used their 20bore clay loads but found them to be excellent, soft shooting and feel well made. I also contacted Caledonian once and found them to be extremely polite and helpful. Were the cartridges more readily available near me then I'd be happy to use them exclusively.

Do they still exist? They were bought out by Eley, I understand?

Called in when passing, years ago the factory was in a wood between Montrose and Brechin.......had a tour of the factory and bought some heavy 3" lead fowling shells (before the lead ban!) damn things were that hot they could have loosened all my fillings! lol!

How is it that someone making cartridges goes to a powder manufacturer and specifies they want a certain recipe? How would/ why would anyone know​ what Was available, what would work and why go to all of the bother to spend out time and effort to sod about with all of this instead of just getting off the peg components which are commonly available at the cheapest price. Who are all these people who are experts in all of these things? The mysterious back room boys who do all of these things. I've never seen anyone on here say "I work for xyz and we use this because -------.

D20SE?

FC: Is this the D20 showing on the Vectan page?

Manufacturer do produce the same powder they sell (well, at least in the rest of Europe that is). The fact the UK market is somewhat limited doesn't mean these powders are not on sale (i.e. the B&P powders are on sale in EU, but you can't find them here).

What they do, however, is to produce them to the client's specification which, very broadly, means they are usually faster than the retail version; hence why i always stress the importance not to copycat factory loads.

I bought a batch of a very well known Nobel powder from an industrial lot and it turned out to be way too fast than the one i was used to; thank god i got it checked as it failed the proofing in a 70 mm shell and just passed it on a 76 mm ... all this with 26 grams lead ...