12g Shotshell Reloading... Done to death but where do i start?!

Hi all,

I'm brand new to reloading, have a Lee Loader on the way, but where do I start? Have been looking at Powders but the sheer quantity of brands and types make me feel like I am dropped in at the deep end. Can someone help get me started? Looking for an average powder for 28g clays and 32g pigeon carts. Similar feeling with which cases I go for.

I'm located in Scotland which mean everything I am looking at online has quite hefty postage charges.

I know this has probably been done to death by every man and his dog, but I'd appreciate your input.

TIA.

Scotland eh? PM me. I'm East Lothian.

Can give you demos if you're local (ish)

Get a couple of decent shotshell reloading manuals. Used on eBay will do.

Lyman one is good....

Can help with admin of powder & primers as I collect from an RFD on my travels.

If not local to me you'll find someone close that can show you the ropes & help get you started.

Scotland eh? PM me. I'm East Lothian.

Can give you demos if you're local (ish)

Get a couple of decent shotshell reloading manuals. Used on eBay will do.

Lyman one is good....

Can help with admin of powder & primers as I collect from an RFD on my travels.

If not local to me you'll find someone close that can show you the ropes & help get you started.

Good advice right there.

Thanks for your reply Saddler, I'm in the NE, Aberdeenshire. Where do I start with choosing the "right powder"? Reloading is obviously based on saving money, so do I just go for what I can find as the cheapest? I'd love to come down for a demo, time doesn't always permit a visit down that far south though unfortunately. I may have a possible delivery of powder/primers through travelling friends, but will be a one off and would need to know what to go for.

Do you have any solid recipes that you follow with cheaper powders?

Thanks!

See what the local RFDs stock.

Got mates that work offshore near you who can help with shipping.

Had my first visit up there on the last Bank Holiday Monday.

My recipes wouldn't help (slug loads & similar exotic stiff)

Source free cases from the local clay grounds.

Ideal for learning with.

Only one RFD up here and its pretty pricey for everything so i'll stay clear... If I come to requiring powders, I will know who to turn to! I'm sure I can come up with an excuse to go down south. Treat the Mrs to a trip to Edinburgh and all that... and since I'd already be down...be rude not to!

Never thought about practicing with spent carts, can get an abundance from our local club.

Powders I'm looking at are Maxam CSB5 @ £19.50/500g, Vectan AS @ £32.40/500g or Alliant Red Dot @ £38.00/1lb

I use Unique or Herco

Can get Red Dot & others from rfd near Durham

(He frequently travels to Sutherland so could be an easier option for you)

Get on YouTube too for dedicated advice on your press.

Sort donor cases by type and LENGTH

A 67mm in amongst the 70mm or vice versa can be bloody annoying

Thanks Jim for the info on Clay and Game at Scone Fair. If I can persuade the Mrs to go to Scone instead of Moy this year, then im on for a winner!

I will bring home a bag of the best I can find from the buckets this weekend. I'll be the one rummaging through everyone's empties throughout the day!

Thanks for your reply Saddler, I'm in the NE, Aberdeenshire. Where do I start with choosing the "right powder"? Reloading is obviously based on saving money, so do I just go for what I can find as the cheapest? I'd love to come down for a demo, time doesn't always permit a visit down that far south though unfortunately. I may have a possible delivery of powder/primers through travelling friends, but will be a one off and would need to know what to go for.

Do you have any solid recipes that you follow with cheaper powders?

Thanks!

Sorry to disabuse you but.....You will be lucky to save any money homeloading the type of shotgun shells specified in your OP! Particularly with shop bought components at shop prices!

That's alright, here in Aberdeenshire I am paying a fortune for decent 32g+ Pigeon and Pheasant Fibre Wad Cartridges. Some shops round here are ripping people off with up to £14.00 per box of Europa #6 or #5 cartridges, just because there are no other shops and because they can! If I can reload good quality cartridges for less than £10 a box, I'm laughing!

Guest cookoff013

That's alright, here in Aberdeenshire I am paying a fortune for decent 32g+ Pigeon and Pheasant Fibre Wad Cartridges. Some shops round here are ripping people off with up to £14.00 per box of Europa #6 or #5 cartridges, just because there are no other shops and because they can! If I can reload good quality cartridges for less than £10 a box, I'm laughing!

Wow !

Plastic or fiber wads info you needs?

Just cartridges or George on here from proper cartridges will be the cheapest option you have. George travels all over the place so search on here and his mobile number will be available to call him. Loading your own basic carts buying everything bar cases will cost a chunk more than ready made.

Reloading aint about saving money especially clay loads. Small & large bores, yes & heavy loads e.g. bb foxing ECT. But if you are being ripped off by that amount, wow. Wait until Sturgeon gets her way. You’ll be using a catapult and stones. Especially if a border is put up to keep the marauding clans back over the border. Haven’t carrier restrictions been relaxed recently? Or is that just expanding?

• 2 weeks later...

Give Clay and Game a bell. They should be good for recipes but you need to see what your local RFD has in stock. Avoid the American powders as they are usually twice the price of European prices. Vectan and Maxan powders are both good. Don't try using "Near as" parts as they may not fit.

I use Folkestone Engineering Supplies for my powder, wads, primers and shot. Us softies down here (South of Watford Gap) have more of a choice with regards to supplies so there is some competition.

Get all your supplies from one source and preferably from someone who knows what they are talking about. Been down that road, never again. If you are ordering powder and primers by post then you will have to pay HAZMAT charges of about £40.00. PITA I know so I drive down when I need powder and primers. Shot and wads can be sent by courier at reasonable cost but if you can get to the RFD then it will be much better as you can pick his/her brains.

Best of luck, have fun and don't forget, you are dealing with explosives so take care and follow the recipe exactly.

Forgot to mention, there's nowt wrong with using hulls from the local clay ground. That's all I use. I find that Fiocchi FBlue are good. The wall seems to be thicker. Reload them a couple of times and then chuck them. Whatever you use, make sure you pick them up when they are dry or let them dry at home. Stick to one size (I suggest 70mm) and get the recipe for that size hull. Avoid the hulls with a plastic insert in the base e.g. Gamebore as they can be difficult to reload. Avoid any hulls that show signs of rust and any that are split. Check what most shooters use at the ground and stick to that brand.

Edited by Uncle Albert

I've just started reloading my self using 1.4grams maxxum cb5s 28gramm 7.5 shot 4mm over shot card 22mm fibre wad with cheddite primers using 70mm old cases out bins at at my local clay ground first one I made dusted a rabbit with it 😊

I bought what I needed from clay and game stand at the Northan shooting show a fuw weeks back

Guest cookoff013

Give Clay and Game a bell. They should be good for recipes but you need to see what your local RFD has in stock. Avoid the American powders as they are usually twice the price of European prices. Vectan and Maxan powders are both good. Don't try using "Near as" parts as they may not fit.

I use Folkestone Engineering Supplies for my powder, wads, primers and shot. Us softies down here (South of Watford Gap) have more of a choice with regards to supplies so there is some competition.

Get all your supplies from one source and preferably from someone who knows what they are talking about. Been down that road, never again. If you are ordering powder and primers by post then you will have to pay HAZMAT charges of about £40.00. PITA I know so I drive down when I need powder and primers. Shot and wads can be sent by courier at reasonable cost but if you can get to the RFD then it will be much better as you can pick his/her brains.

Best of luck, have fun and don't forget, you are dealing with explosives so take care and follow the recipe exactly.

Forgot to mention, there's nowt wrong with using hulls from the local clay ground. That's all I use. I find that Fiocchi FBlue are good. The wall seems to be thicker. Reload them a couple of times and then chuck them. Whatever you use, make sure you pick them up when they are dry or let them dry at home. Stick to one size (I suggest 70mm) and get the recipe for that size hull. Avoid the hulls with a plastic insert in the base e.g. Gamebore as they can be difficult to reload. Avoid any hulls that show signs of rust and any that are split. Check what most shooters use at the ground and stick to that brand.

Uncle Dave,

the start of your reloading experience is classic. i`m sad to say it is all too common to be advised on what to reload by retailers who do not reload one bit. because we are reloading multiple branded products in a single entity, it is improper for a component manufacturer to advise. whereas us homeloaders just want simple, good, safe reloads.

i have to admit when we first started talking it was hard going, because everyones experience is different.

i still dont know why retailers do not sell 1000shell reloading kits, ie, 1.5kg powder, 28kg lead, 1000wads/prime/ etc.

i do prefer the personal hands on aproach. but do sadly go into abit more detail than nessasary. i like to teach but i`m learning by doing stuff then send it off for testing. but that costs too much sometimes. it depends how excited i get.

@OP

i personally buy everything virgin and brand new. i dont really scrabble in bins. cost comes into it, but availability is one hell of a tool.

Guest cookoff013

you will really thrive in Italy reloading is a religion and you'd get a massive selection of components at very competitive prices ... and most gun shops own their own proofing barrel and can test for you at an average of Euro 1.5 per shell and no minimum requirement (i.e. you can proof 1,3, 5...) :lol:

dont tell me that.

the testing costs a fortune, about £200 or so a year.

Guest cookoff013

There is just so much info on youtube about reloading

i tend to wince whenever youtube is mentioned and reloading. there are fantastic videos. but there are alot of cowboys (please excuse that exellent pun)

dont tell me that.

the testing costs a fortune, about £200 or so a year.

that is the one thing i really miss: going into my pal gun shop pick up few components, make a shell and go in the proofing room and test it ....

you get all your main products there; all hulls, all primers, all wads... Fiocchi, Martignoni, Cheddite, B&P, Winchester, Rio, Federal ...

All B&P, Fiocchi, NSI powders, few selected american ones (other can be ordered)....it is reloading paradise ... :lol:

and it makes me feel nostalgic thinking of all that i could use to try my ITX and not having to waste a penny to proof the load, adjusting them on the spot... no TNT to fight with ... :cry1: