Call of the Wild. Jack London

Eyefor

I'm on hols at the moment (irrelevant, but just setting the scene) and had downloaded two "highly recommended" books on to the Kindle in readiness for lazy days by the pool - and both were very disappointing.

I don't really do much fiction - I'm a pita with detail and hate it when things are daft, impossible, misspelt or just gratuitous **** churned out by a much published author obviously just in it for the money.

Following on from the two Kindle disappoints, I read a "proper" book (Vulcan 607) about bombing Stanley runway during the build up to the Falklands war and enjoyed the story, but didn't enjoy returning to the physical book experience.

This reconfirmed that I'm a total Kindle convert so I did a bit of digging around and found a list on Amazon of top free 100 books to download and thought I'd re-read some of the books I'd read as a kid.

Got King Solomons Mines by H Rider Haggard, 39 Steps and Prester John by John Buchan, Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and (although individually some were free - including Call of the wild and White Fang) I got the complete works of Jack London for 99p.

Jeez. I just finished Call of the Wild again (after 55 years or so) - and what a book. The narrative is superb, the description sublime and the feelings for Buck (the main dog character) are wonderful.

If you haven't read it. Try it.

I'm off to read the rest - and look for more freebies.

Edited by Eyefor

I re read jack London's call of the wild and white fang a few years ago, really good didn't feel dated.

I like books and kindle books.

Read conn iggulden fiction based on fact, brilliant.

Old books re read day of the jackal, first blood

Vulcan 607 is a fantastic book. Phoenix squadron, Rowlands next book, is hard work. Try C.Q.B by Mike Curtis. From the Welsh valleys to the Falklands and the gulf, that's very entertaining.

want a good read get sabre squadron by cameron spence about first gulf war absalutely riveting read and my deceased brother was in it .unbelievable but true

That was a good read too. Edited by Pistol p

Read that book in school,It has always been my favourite.. Call of the Wild..
But if you read the book WHTE FANG, It does exactly what it says on the tin..
My other favourite,is,,,MOBY ****, The book, Herman Melville,,,..
Best 3 classics,I could read over and over again..
EDIT..
MOBY D I C K Starts,
Call me ishmael.
Makes the hair stand up on my neck..lol.

I have just finished a book so was about to buy something and got Call of the Wild on my iPad. Never read it before and I am totally engrossed. I give it 3 days, I will then look at his other books.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I look forward to your comments when you've finished it.

I actually said "wow" out loud and sat in stunned silence for a fair while....and I'd read it before!