pigeon hides

Do you build your hide with a roof.? also is it high enough. it should shoulder hieght in the front and high enough so you are not toughing the roof with your head when standing up, and with plenty off room for you to swing your gun around safety. :good:

Try to make your hide blend in with the background. No use using green cammo net on a newly ploughed field or in yellow corn stubble. :blush:

While i agree with trying to blend in with the background if you can, it certainly isn't essential.

I wouldn't advise people against using a hide that is different from the background. I've often used a desert camo net in front of dark green backgrounds to good success. I also wouldn't be afraid to set up with a dark green net in the middle of a freshly drilled field if circumstances demanded it.

I have found that if you put up a near solid camo back net and sit very still in front of it on an old drum or a similar COMFORTABLE seat, wearing full DPM the birds do not pick up on you until the last minute as you mount to fire.

I have to argue that pigeons are totally colour blind they are spooked by white sheets hung in trees as bird scarers, I have read that they see in black and white, which I suppose is colour blind :blush::lol:

;) D2D

You call yourself ultimate hunter???

Yes but ask him what his mates call him :lol:

I know what i would call someone who asked me how to make a hide DO YOU and says i do alot of pigeon shooting as they say in SCOTLAND AYE RIGHT PAL!!!!! ???:lol::lol::blush:

Ultimate Hunter you really asked for some stick! enough guns listed to start WW3 and cant build a hide :lol: most of us started with a catapoult and learnt our field craft prior to parting with hard cash, its always best to start from the bottom and work up rather than tuver way round ;)

i was wondering if any one out there would be able to tell me how they go about building there pigeon hide. i do alot of pigeon shooting and always seem to be seen in the hide by the pigeons when they get close. any pictures also would be great. thanks!

Try staying put until the pigeon commits. At that point, if you have set the killing zone to around 25 yds, you'll not have to worry about the bird seeing you.

I have two ex-army nets, with loads of extra camo panels making it 100% coverage, twice over for good measure!!

Problem is that I have to end up cutting out peep holes.

I'm not that sure it really matters if the pigeons do see you, once they have made their minds up to enter the pattern, I've had on many occasions pigeons coming in to land whilst I've been rearranging decoys. A few seasons ago, one almost landed on top of me.

That's my 2p worth.

John

thanks to everyone who has helped ill be trying it out as soon as this bad weather passes. im only 15 and trying to learn and get tips to get better. i thought that is what this website was partially for, to get help on things. dunno y people have to take the ****. thanks anyway :blink:

thanks to everyone who has helped ill be trying it out as soon as this bad weather passes. im only 15 and trying to learn and get tips to get better. i thought that is what this website was partially for, to get help on things. dunno y people have to take the ****. thanks anyway :blink:

Don't take the leg-pulling too seriously.

You have had some good advice and if you put "hides" in the Search facility in the top right hand corner of the page (use the "More Search Options" choice) , you will get some more good opinions. :blush:

15, claims to own what a dozen guns, calls himself 'ultimate hunter' and claims to do a lot of pigeon shooting yet knows didly squat AND then moans when people take the mick. Know what I call him...spoiled brat!

highlander, your probably just jealous. i havent claimed to owning them, they are just the shotguns and firearms in my houshold of which i use along with the rest of my family. i do a lot of pigeon shooting and have 1 problem. i hasten to add that i doubt that you are perfect at it so what is wrong with trying to find out how others do these things. i wasnt complaining and if you call that bein a spoiled brat, well i would hate to see a real spoilt brat, because im not. its just some people are stuck up their own *****, no names, and like i say ,jealous. thanks for all those that did help me, much appreciated.

Now go and learn how to build a hide!

Not being funny with you mate, but for god sake give the guy a break.

There is no bigger fool than the fool who is so foolish not to ask a question, life is all about learning and one thing is for sure, YOU or I, will never know all there is to know, it's just plain wisdom to pass on the little that you do.

John

thanks to everyone who has helped ill be trying it out as soon as this bad weather passes. im only 15 and trying to learn and get tips to get better. i thought that is what this website was partially for, to get help on things. dunno y people have to take the ****. thanks anyway :lol:

15, claims to own what a dozen guns, calls himself 'ultimate hunter' and claims to do a lot of pigeon shooting yet knows didly squat AND then moans when people take the mick. Know what I call him...spoiled brat!

Thank God you're from Leicestershire, and not Rumania, otherwise you'd have really been in for it.

Highlander doesn't take prisoners, so don't ever ask a silly question on this forum. :lol:

Cat.

A lot of the time people place too much emphasis on hide building. Some of my best days have been stood away from my hide up against bushes(shooting of course.....nothing else). The best way is to just geto ut and experiment to find out what works best for you. And you will find that some on this forum will post slagging replies no matter what subject you post(but thats another story).

And when the revolution comes i'lll be around to your gaff(should be pretty safe judging by the royal armoury you hold)

So why don't YOU show him how to build a hide? :good: Presuming of course you have the knowledge. :thumbs:

One's ultimate and the other's zero.

Funny how it's just you who is :D .

No, I'll give way to your obvious superior knowledge and let you give us *all* a lesson in hide building, please feel free.

John