Beretta 692 black

eddoakley

The 692 black is a huge step up from the 686 in terms of build quality and handling. It is a very elegant looking gun and usually has upgraded wood. The Optima HP chokes throw excellent patterns through the 692 barrels. Highly recommended. To improve on the 692 you need to look at spending serious money and getting a DT11.

The 692 black is a huge step up from the 686 in terms of build quality and handling. It is a very elegant looking gun and usually has upgraded wood. The Optima HP chokes throw excellent patterns through the 692 barrels. Highly recommended. To improve on the 692 you need to look at spending serious money and getting a DT11.

Well at £8k a dt11 isn't even on the radar but at £3k for a 692 that's fired 150 shots then it's certainly worth thinking about......

Do you use one?

Edd

Guest stevo

I don't a black just a standard 692 but my regular shooting Buddy uses a black edition

The black 692s are a very nice bit of kit imo. With some nice little touches over the older

standard 692.

The black has a carbon fibre rib. Carbon fibre trigger guard. B-fast barrel weight system.

Also from all the ones I have seen and played with better/ upgraded woodwork.

I'm still to see a trap version. I believe they are about but would very much like a nose at one.

Edited by stevo

If you like the gun and consider it good value then go ahead but bear in mind they have a history of reliability issues. If you go with it I suggest that you invest in a couple of spare selector thingies and a few spare 'O' rings for the switchable ejectors. Sooner or later you will need them.

Also check the screw in the top tang to see if it's been treated with loctite. If not do it yourself. It's a tiny screw and holds the two main sections of the gun together. You really don't want that screw to work loose and shear off. (it has happened a number of times) You might also want to loctite the screws that locate the forend metal to the threaded bushes while you're at it.

If you want a Beretta to work day in day out for years and years without any hitches then go for the 686, 687 or 682.

I have heard all the horror stories about unreliability issues with the 692. I owned a silver actioned 692 for over four years and put thousands of shells through it and it never missed a beat. I now shoot a DT11 and that too has proved to be 100% reliable. I can only speak from my own personal experience. I have never owned the 692 Black but i have no reason to believe that it will be prone to reliability issues.

Edited by miroku_fan

Nothing wrong with the 686 or any 68 series guns. As for better qaulity etc how and where is the newer Beretta better qaulity ?

I looked at a 690 brand new and a new Browning 525 and chose a 1990's 687 Silver Pigeon iv as I thought it was a nicer gun. We all like different but the newer Berettas are not in my mind any better in qaulity than older models.

Nothing wrong with the 686 or any 68 series guns. As for better qaulity etc how and where is the newer Beretta better qaulity ?

I looked at a 690 brand new and a new Browning 525 and chose a 1990's 687 Silver Pigeon iv as I thought it was a nicer gun. We all like different but the newer Berettas are not in my mind any better in qaulity than older models.

The bottom line is that Beretta have been making shotguns for a very long time and have set the bar really high. They are a huge concern and have invested heavily in research, design and production. I have a 1994 Beretta 682 Gold that would merit an A+ in terms of build quality. The new Beretta's have benefitted from this heritage and have incorporated the latest technology to build guns that out perform what has gone before. Whether you prefer the new or older models is largely down to personal preference. My opinion is that Beretta has always manufactured excellent shotguns and the new models are as good as it gets at their respective price points.

Do you happen to know the difference between the 682, 686 and 687?

Starting my new job soon and hoping I might be able to afford one one day lol

All the 68 series use the same basic action in the series. With differing finishes barrel lengths and chokes bore diameters. The 686 687 guns are shorter barrelled game field guns with sporting models in the line withb28" or 30" barrels, untill the introduced the Silver Pigeon sporter with a choice of 32" tubes. They do have sporters in the range at a lower price than the 682 which is the dedicated competition gun for clays. The 687 was the higher grades of the two 686 687 until they stopped the 687 and went with the Silver Pigeon grades 1 to 5 and the sporter / evolution variants. The game models are usually solid side ribs and different top rib to the sporters. Also the wood was different sizes field and sporting.

Beretta like to muddy the waters with no real clear distinction between the ranges.

They did use a different action on the prevail perennia guns the SV10 that never was popular and led to the new 69 series.

The 69 series are more of the same with the 690 being more field game oriented and the 692 being the competition guns.

You can swap stocks and forends around the same series as I have done with the 687 now wearing a sporter stock because the fit is better for me.

Lloyd hope the above is as confusing as Beretta have made it over the years :lol:

Edited by figgy

Bloody ell, I saw a 682 on the sale section the other week that was a sporter. I thought spotters were more duel purpose 😂

All the 682s were built as sporters. People do use sporters as dual purpose guns but they're primarily built for clays.

I have heard all the horror stories about unreliability issues with the 692. I owned a silver actioned 692 for over four years and put thousands of shells through it and it never missed a beat. I now shoot a DT11 and that too has proved to be 100% reliable. I can only speak from my own personal experience. I have never owned the 692 Black but i have no reason to believe that it will be prone to reliability issues.

The Black is mechanically identical to the standard 692 and is subject to the same potential for the issues I referred to above. I don't want to rain on your barbeque because you obviously love the 692, but the ejector weaknesses for example go all the way back to 2009 when the SV10s appeared and have never been properly resolved. For the life of me I can't see why they persist with an unfixable design for for a feature that no one wants.

I've never suggested that these issues crop up frequently but they do occur. My SV10 never missed a beat over 3 years clay shooting but the 'O' rings were pretty near knackered when I traded it in. The SV10s also have a single setscrew holding the 2 parts of the action together but it's mechanically secure because there's a spigot which locates the trigger plate into the frame which means that if the screw fails, the gun won't fall into 2 parts. Unfortunately that's exactly what has happened with a number or 692s because the trigger is simply slotted into the frame, presumable to save money.

Whilst Beretta may have addressed the appalling lack of quality control that existed between 2010 and 2015, I'm still far from convinced that the engineering integrity and manufacturing quality is as good as it was 20 years ago or even 10 years ago.

I shot 10k to 12k cartridges through the silver actioned 692 every year during my four year ownership. That is 40k+ cartridges through the gun. The only issue with the 692 was to do with the timing of the ejectors which was an easy fix and covered by the warranty. I can only speak from my own personal experience. The gun functioned perfectly and carried it's relatively hard use very lightly. My DT11 was purchased in December 2014 and despite " the appalling lack of quality control" has performed like every Beretta shotgun I have owned and that is faultlessly. There is no question of raining on my parade because I am a Beretta tart and base my feeling of the 692 on my own experience. I am sure there are 692 owners who have had a less positive experience. My advice to the OP would be to buy the 692 Black without prejudice.

Fair comment. As I said before it's not a bad gun, just not the ultra reliable workhorse expected of Beretta and a bit of insurance in form of a few simple spares is my advice to anyone with a 692 or 690.

DT-11s didn't suffer with the same level of quality problems because they're built in the custom shop by gunsmiths. The now discontinued DT-10, 682 Gold E and the original 686E were also built in the custom shop, but of the current 6XX family guns, all except the EELL and Jubilee versions are production line guns.

Beretta made a lot changes in 2010/2011 by bringing all the manufacturing in-house. Unfortunately it wasn't exactly a seamless transition, with the result that Beretta lost a lot of market share to competitors which they show little sign of regaining with the current range.

I brought a 686 Special in 1984 and it has loverly timber, it has had thousands of shells trough it with no problems. All the 690 and 692 that I have seen have all have wood that seems a light colour and although it looks ok I still prefer my old 696s.