RSPCA - not all bad possibly

TaxiDriver

My poor little 14wk old pup has suddenly developed a problem with her eyes,

Inside of her upper and lower eyelids iare all red and pimpled/blistered/cysts or spots I dunno.

I called our vets where she's registered, explained her symptoms and my current financial predicament and that I couldn't pay for a couple of weeks and could they/would they help ?

Help ? Would they **** !!

All they could do was give me details of the PDSA and suggest I go there if I wanted treatment for free.

(It's 20+ miles away in Basildon !!)

Now I know they're a business, they need to be paid they have bills to pay, But to turn an animal in distress away, to me shows their true measure.

Anyways I phoned our local RSPCA clinic in quite a state of upset and managed to explain the situation and was told they do charge but it's subsidised, And to get puppy up there to be seen and we'd go from there.

Got antibiotic tablets, some eye drops and consult fee was £15 (half of what my registered vets wanted)

Total was £38.13 in total, on account unofficially till I can sort it out.

Just got to see if we can get it cleared up.

Edited by TaxiDriver

I'm not usually an RSPCA fan, but glad to hear they were able to help. It is their senior management's dabbling in political issues that I cannot support - and I do know that individual RSPCA personnel at 'coal face' level can be very good individuals.

Now I know they're a business, they need to be paid they have bills to pay, But to turn an animal in distress away, to me shows their true measure

We moved vets when they became very money orientated

Their phone message was -

"Press 1 for accounts"

"Press 2 to buy dog or cat food"

"Press 3 for anything else "

If it had have been a bigger problem, RTA with broken bones or Parvo etc.

And your a bit, lets say skint !

Wouldn't insurance be a good idea ?

Dogs are notoriously expensive creatures to care for, £1000 pounds wont go far in an operating theatre.

Brothers Spaniel has just had an eye removed £800 !

I'm glad it turned out alright, but plans need making ?

I would say, can you not set up a payment plan with your vet? If not find one that will, it doesn't take much to injure your dog and the bills soon mount up, even a cheap ish policy is better than nothing.

Or keep going to the RSPCA one.

The PDSA at Baz Vegas are actually quite brilliant as well. My Spaniel broke her front leg at the mid joint on Christmas Day 4 years ago. Every vet I rang come up closed for the holidays except for them - Took here there and they looked after her until 27th when the normal vets reopened - I think the bill was something like 30 quid for the drugs and treatment they gave her. They got my considerable thanks and a damned good donation that day.