Silver Pigeon 1 and heavy loads

nicknsd1978

Basic question...I bought a new Silver Pigeon 1 Sporter a couple of years since and now wishing I went for the game version as I will be mainly doing pigeon shooting from now on. Question is will shooting 30g or 32g cartridges do any harm to the gun? Didn't know if the game version had a more robust action to take the recoil of heavier loads

Basic question...I bought a new Silver Pigeon 1 Sporter a couple of years since and now wishing I went for the game version as I will be mainly doing pigeon shooting from now on. Question is will shooting 30g or 32g cartridges do any harm to the gun? Didn't know if the game version had a more robust action to take the recoil of heavier loads

I strongly suspect they are the same action, but I don't know for certain; Usually sporters are heavier (and possibly slightly heavier duty if there is a difference) than game guns.

The reason is that a sporter is expected to shoot a significant number of cartridges in a short time at clays (perhaps 100 cartridges in a couple of hours, with virtually no walking), but not to be carried far. A game gun is often carried a fair way, and generally held for long periods with relatively few shots fired - perhaps 50 cartridges over 5 or 6 hours and maybe a couple of miles walked.

Edited by JohnfromUK

They wont cause any issues for lead loaded carts. If it has 2 3/4" (70mm) chambers it will take up to 36g or basically anything that can be found in a 2 3/4" factory loaded cart. if it has 3" (76mm) again amything that length the gun is built to take them with no ill effect. unless steel loaded carts. You need to check for steel proof and if the carts are high perform steel (bit of a minefield when you get into steel loads)

Edited by Paul1440

They wont cause any issues for lead loaded carts. If it has 2 3/4" (70mm) chambers it will take up to 36g or basically anything that can be found in a 2 3/4" factory loaded cart. if it has 3" (76mm) again amything that length the gun is built to take them with no ill effect. unless steel loaded carts. You need to check for steel proof and if the carts are high perform steel (bit of a minefield when you get into steel loads)

Also with steel loads check to see if your choke will be ok, I can't remember with my chokes (I'll have to read the manual again) but some say don't use with steel and other say with steel this choke is the equivalent of full etc.

Edited by Newbie to this

For Pigeon shooting you are better with a Sporter, no issue with weight as you are sat in a hide and more weight to soak up recoil. I had to do a fair walk yesterday to set up due to the ground being too wet to drive on so took my 6lb 20 bore. Shot around 80 24 - 28 grm loads through it wearing just a thin shirt and boy did I know about it last night. Weight is your friend in a Pigeon Gun.

Edited by JRDS