North Essex relocation

tx4cabbie

Thinking of moving from a leafy London suburb to north Essex, around walton/frinton/Kirby. At the moment I work 10 hr days 5/6 days a week, and shoot once a fortnight, and if we move we reckon, if my sums are right, that I can do 3-4 days a week , and get a lot more house and garden for our money.

I'm a London cabbie, and the 1.5 hr commute would be a pain, compared to the half hour I do at the moment, but would be worth it for a better standard of living.

Upside, less work, more time for shooting, more land which is shootable, more time to spend with my wife, make knives, perhaps make kids.

Downside, more travel, and if we move away from town, unlikely to be able to afford to move back. Would not be under met for guns, but Essex, with all the problems that force has with gunowners.

Any north Essex pigeonwatchers out there can tell me whether it's a good idea?

Hoping to hear you're knocking down pigeons,rabbits, geese etc everyday, and it's a bucolic rural idyll. But if it's all downsides, please let me know before I jump .

Cheers, Leon.

That's the plan, get into town early afternoon and be heading up the a12 around 4am when all the tailgaters and speedy accident causers are asleep.

Best of both ways then :good:

Mate moved out of london further and further till he settled here in suffolk,said each time he moved he got a bigger house for less money,he does have one of the better places here :yes:

If it was me I'd head further north, along the m11, into cambs, Suffolk and north essex. Nicer area, more area to shoot and better trip into the city. I live in the middle of Essex and it's okay, but not great, not anymore. Too busy, too many chimps, firearms have been told to sort out their business as 12 months waiting isn't uncommon. I work in Suffolk a lot and it's a nicer place, much more land to shoot. Watch out for that A12 if you go that way, it's up for upgrades, widening and the new link roads from Chelmsford and the extended A120 aswell. That and two years of rail delays due to new stations being built won't help.

Edited by Pistol p

If it was me I'd head further north, along the m11, into cambs, Suffolk and north essex. Nicer area, more area to shoot and better trip into the city. I live in the middle of Essex and it's okay, but not great, not anymore. Too busy, too many chimps, firearms have been told to sort out their business as 12 months waiting isn't uncommon. I work in Suffolk a lot and it's a nicer place, much more land to shoot. Watch out for that A12 if you go that way, it's up for upgrades, widening and the new link roads from Chelmsford and the extended A120 aswell. That and two years of rail delays due to new stations being built won't help.

Would have to agree,just didn't want to start a county thing :no:

That's more my side, but at any time of day if you think you will get to or from anything remotely central London from Frinton in a cab in anything less than 2 hours you are dreaming... A12 is dual carriage way made single carriage by elephant racing ....

It is a trunk road after all .....I'll get me coat 😀

Are you not better staying put with London house price rises outstripping rest of the country until your ready to retire from it all. Then move out take the money and drive private hire or something else in Essex. As you say move out and don't like it your stuffed. Sometimes better the devil you know.

Hi Dave. Hoping that the costs would be reduced by the electric cab, they reckon 300 mile range, I do average of 150-250, but with the range extender petrol engine I'd be ok, plus the ability to charge whilst out, 60% charge in 40 mins, or 1 sandwich, a coffee, and a chapter of my book, would get me home safe. Can't charge cab now as no parking outside my house, but new place has parking for several.

Still in the thinking about it stage, but thinking hard.

I live on the Herts/Essex border on the M11 corridor. House prices are cheaper than London but still relatively expensive. We get a lot of people relocating from London and that pushes the prices up.

There is a bit of game shooting around but you need to get up to Norfolk where it is in abundance. I have not been successful in finding vermin shooting locally. It's all supposedly accounted for although I rarely hear people shooting! The peas in the field opposite me were being hammered recently and the farmer wasn't interested in me dealing with the pigeons as he 'has somebody'. Never heard a shot!

Hi Leon,

Moved too Frinton 4 years ago, had a shooting permission near where I previously lived, but being more rural around here I thought I would be spoilt for choice, how wrong can you be, been knocking and asking but no luck to date, so still travel one hour and twenty minutes back to my original permission, which is a bit of a pain, especially if there are any hold-ups, which are quite common. I'm retired so no work issues, but I would certainly think hard about the journeys back and forth too work if I were you, We have thought off moving back, but can't now has we have been priced out of the market, I am quite happy hear but my wife hates it, misses the large shops, and the hustle and bustle etc. I don't want too put a downer on your idea's Leon, but that's how it's worked out for me, but all the best with your plans.

I would suggest the M11 corridor, but it will still be around an hour in to London. I know a chap who is a cabbie as well, though he leaves at 4am to be in town at the right time. Little Candfield, Stansted, Flitch Green, Great Dunmow all have new developments and a lot of the counter urbanisation that you are considering going on. Looking at c.£350,000-400,00 for a 3 bedroom house in and around that area.

Land wise, it is all 'taken' as mentioned, so it will take time to make links with people/land owners etc. However, there are some good clay shooting clubs about and they are a friendly lot.

Don't worry about Essex firearms, I was speaking with an FEO at the game fair and he says they are just about caught up, so it's looking good. I've had good experiences thus far.