525 vs 725

johnnytheboy

I own a 525, and was going to buy a 725 Black Edition, but in the end I just thought whats the point :) If the chokes were the same I might have done it, but as I have a full set of Teague Invector + I just thought sod it and stayed with the 525. Looking back I'm glad I did, clays get broke with it, and that's what counts!

Depends if you're looking at new or used. Older 525s handle like railway sleepers and have terrible triggers whereas recent models are lighter, especially up front and have better trigger pulls. Early 725s had trigger problems because they aren't really mechanical triggers, they just have a tweaked inertia system. Later ones with the 2nd generation triggers seem okay.

Browning lovers seem to prefer the 725 over the 525 but the 2 or 3 I've tried didn't impress at all. I know they're strong and durable etc. but I still find them agricultural and unrefined.

I like the look and feel of the 725 but not the shooting of one. I've never liked the 525 or MK38 same guns, nothing wrong with them just not what I like, feel chunky and the top lever feels stiff on them.

The 725 has a low profile action much like the Berettas so will have taken a fair few sales from Beretta, the woodwork also has s different profile with a tulip shaped end to the fore end.

Edited by figgy

The Action has been reduced by 4mm on the 725 to improve handling and reduce barrel flip.

Barrels have longer chokes (to improve patterns) and are double sealed to prevent gas &muck getting behind them which can cause them to seize. Also forcing cones have been made longer.

They also have mechanical triggers, as in the second barrel can be shot even if there's no recoil from the first barrel which can happen if using light loads such as 21g carts. Which seem to be the current fad (learn to hold it properly)

The Big difference in the triggers which has always been the 325/425/525 derivatives achillies heel.(although most 95% of people would never actually know a good trigger pull from a bad one. No one would ever feel the difference on a cold day with your gloves on) The geometery which limits how good the trigger pulls can be made has been modified and are much better.

The 525 is a very good gun though and lets face it the design is a proven winner at all levels of competition. for the price are I believe the best value gun out there.

Edited by Paul1440

Despite all that they still have the worst trigger pulls of any current mid range gun and also, despite the Browning publicity, the triggers are not true mechanical. Whilst the inertia mechanism will switch triggers when using snapcaps, there are numerous posts on American forums highlighting the problems with trigger reset failures when using tube sets and light loads for small gauge skeet.

As with Beretta and their troublesome selectable eject/extract system, Browning's 'mechanical' triggers are answering a question no one was asking.