First and last opportunity.

JDog

MM and I have been watching pigeons going into standing beans for getting on a month now. The count down to harvest has been painfully slow.

The beans were harvested on Wednesday, yesterday it poured down and today was the only opportunity to shoot the field before it is cultivated by a very efficient farming company tomorrow. I know full well that beans can be productive even when the field has been turned over but this was a chance to shoot the stubble and drive to our hide positions.

There was not much doing for the hour we watched then two weak lines started and we chose our respective hide positions 200m apart. The sun and the wind was not good for either of us. I had to back myself into a hedge to give me some cover from the sun. Unfortunately that meant standing on a steep slope down to some badger setts. My feet were not on level ground and that always means one thing to the shooter and that is an irregular gun mount. Five birds from the first twenty shots explains it all though admittedly some were very long crossers as the early arrivals would not decoy.

MM was having a very quiet time of it as my tally began to mount. He will have great delight in telling all and sundry that once I started to shoot a few I ran out of cartridges having only taken thirty in my bag to start with. That happened twice can you believe?

Towards the end of the session my rotary died and MM was having more success after he had put out a rotary rather than a flapper. I had to attempt to shoot some very long crossers.

I picked exactly fifty pigeons and MM picked another twenty giving us a total of 70 pigeons.

Of my bag only three were old birds. That represents 94% young birds. There will be those on the forum who will say that my decoying skills are such that no old bird would be fooled by my pattern and they are probably right.

"MM was having a very quiet time of it as my tally began to mount. He will have great delight in telling all and sundry that once I started to shoot a few I ran out of cartridges having only taken thirty in my bag to start with. That happened twice can you believe?"

:lol: Did you go back for another 30 cartridges half way through? or was it you who snaffled MM's cartridge bag when he wasn't looking, bad boy :lol::good::yahoo:

Anyway I wouldn't be so personal as to comment on your behaviour with 'OLD BIRDS' just don't let the wife find out, very bad boy. :no:

Edited by lakeside1000

For clarification, MM lent me a box of 25 and when I had fired all of those he lent me another box of 25. His store of cartridges has now been replenished.

of coarse we understand................we all thought you had "maxed your pension credits " for the week........... :lol:

you mustnt tell people you are now an OAP................anyway why have you grown your beard again ?............thought that was just a passing fad.. :hmm:

A very good bag for a pair of yellow belly's at this time of year. Thanks for the report.

A fair few pigeons going into standing beans here at present and like you say masses of young Wood pigeons. Very good eating!

of coarse we understand................we all thought you had "maxed your pension credits " for the week........... :lol:

you mustnt tell people you are now an OAP................anyway why have you grown your beard again ?............thought that was just a passing fad.. :hmm:

Beards are in fashion Ditchy, and women love them. That is my excuse anyway! :good:

MM and I have been watching pigeons going into standing beans for getting on a month now. The count down to harvest has been painfully slow.

The beans were harvested on Wednesday, yesterday it poured down and today was the only opportunity to shoot the field before it is cultivated by a very efficient farming company tomorrow. I know full well that beans can be productive even when the field has been turned over but this was a chance to shoot the stubble and drive to our hide positions.

There was not much doing for the hour we watched then two weak lines started and we chose our respective hide positions 200m apart. The sun and the wind was not good for either of us. I had to back myself into a hedge to give me some cover from the sun. Unfortunately that meant standing on a steep slope down to some badger setts. My feet were not on level ground and that always means one thing to the shooter and that is an irregular gun mount. Five birds from the first twenty shots explains it all though admittedly some were very long crossers as the early arrivals would not decoy.

MM was having a very quiet time of it as my tally began to mount. He will have great delight in telling all and sundry that once I started to shoot a few I ran out of cartridges having only taken thirty in my bag to start with. That happened twice can you believe?

Towards the end of the session my rotary died and MM was having more success after he had put out a rotary rather than a flapper. I had to attempt to shoot some very long crossers.

I picked exactly fifty pigeons and MM picked another twenty giving us a total of 70 pigeons.

Of my bag only three were old birds. That represents 94% young birds. There will be those on the forum who will say that my decoying skills are such that no old bird would be fooled by my pattern and they are probably right.

Baring your soul like this is not good for you. :whistling:

An accurate report. Given I chauffeured JDog to his position, his cartridge misdemeanours are really indefensible......and it's not the first time I might add. I should have given him a box or two of my 'pot luck' boxes of cartridges. To be fair, he did replace the boxes with some nice gold, diamond shells which will be wasted on me.

A very good bag for a pair of yellow belly's at this time of year. Thanks for the report.

A fair few pigeons going into standing beans here at present and like you say masses of young Wood pigeons. Very good eating!

Beards are in fashion Ditchy, and women love them. That is my excuse anyway! :good:

cant see why women get attchacted to beards,....more often than not they are full of livestock....and proberly smell of rancid yogurt...............i had a big 'tash many years ago and that always smelt of muff.........