Bit Of Mixy?

ShaggyRS6

Went out tonight after the rain, just got the 2, also got given then evil eye by one of the young horses. he started to rack the ground with his hoof. Made me chuckle :good:

Has the bottom rabbit got mixy? Its eye was swollen.

It was very breezy tonight as well. i was in full Real tree Camo and then up wind of me, about 5 feet away appeared a bunny. It just started feeding :D It was too close to shoot :thumbs:

161.jpg

162.jpg

well done :thumbs: was that with the mk 3

Yeah, with the Mk3, not used the RWS since I got the MK3, not that I'm not going too.

It was too close, cos by the time I had messed around like a loony setting the Mag to Zero the little ****** had escaped :good:

Not as frustrating as to what I had to put up with tonight. There were 7 rabbits sitting in the same square metre of ground 5m away. :good: Only thing that seperated us was thick undergrowth which prevented the air rifle being used. Wish I had take the shottie. :thumbs: Still got 2 though. :lol:

Keep the pics coming! :D

FM :lol:

Starting to get it up here as well now - is it 1 of those years?

was told by someone once that it comes in 7 year cycles, is this true or just another urban myth do you think?

Paul :lol:

I think it is a myth - we had it here three years ago and now it is back again. I shot 86 bunnies over the weekend and around half had mixxy in its early stages (not quite the blodd filled eye stage). Very sad to see and it means I won't be eating rabbit for a while!

B

Thanks Henry, that one on the bottom of my pics deffo has it then.

Strange how the Orchard that I shoot on has none (that I know off) and out of the Rabbits I have shot on the land that these pctures were taken only one Rabbit has had it.

Thanks Henry, that one on the bottom of my pics deffo has it then.

Strange how the Orchard that I shoot on has none (that I know off) and out of the Rabbits I have shot on the land that these pctures were taken only one Rabbit has had it.

Hard to say if the bottom one has Mixy IMHO, need a bit more of a close up to see if there are any lesions around the eyes.

The bulging eye can be caused by a head shot making the eye balls bulge out from the skull.

Jerry

:lol: The cycle myth is rubbish, (well at least around here) the rabbits get it every year and its worse around the harvest time as paul said( i think as harvesting makes it more airbourne?).

Its here EVERY year, just in varying degrees. i didnt see that much of it last year but the year before i shot a lot with it. i also think that they are easy targets for foxes, so if you have foxes on youre permision in any numbers, you wont see rabbitts with Mixy as they are the first to get lunched by charlie!! :lol:

Another reason that i feel that one had Mixy was this.... i was wondering through the long grass and spotted it cowering abount 4m from me. I thought it was gonna bolt but it just stayed still.

I even moved back another 5m to get a better shot. It still did not move.

Fulltimeshooter,

I was going to say the same thing. It looks like that bunny has had Mixy and recovered hence the sort of worn look to the fur by its eyes. Can't see the nose easily as that usually gives it away, if the same applies.

The cloudy eye can be any number of things other than mixy though. If a buck rabbit, it could be an old sparring injury, a thorn or even a piece of lead shot from a shotgun. I have seen Rabbits with this kind of injury before.

In terms of Mixy Cycles, as others have already stated, I believe it occurs year upon year, and whilst it does seem on the face of it to manifest itself more so during harvest time due to dusty airborne conditions, it also seems to be very bad when we have Very Wet warm conditions, which Mixy like other viruses and infections seem to thrive in these conditions.

Whatever the reasons behind it, it would seem it's here to stay from one degree to another and if seen in any stage on a rabbit, the rabbit should be put out of its misery immediately. This is one man made illness I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, let alone a harmless vegtable eating creature.

SS :lol:

I shot 4 rabbits on Saturday with air rifle, one of them had something wrong.

Around both eyes were what I would describe as a thickening of the skin (pinky in colour), but no discharge that I could see. nose seemed ok.

I did not kill it outright, and must have paralysed it because it was dragging its back legs, and its tail was up over the body and the anus protruding. Was the "anus thing" to do with the eye problems, or was it to do with the dragging legs do you reckon?

Before I realized it was manky I had knecked it with bare hands, and probably touched around the eyes, would that cause any problems of health to me?

Around both eyes were what I would describe as a thickening of the skin (pinky in colour), but no discharge that I could see. nose seemed ok.

I did not kill it outright, and must have paralysed it because it was dragging its back legs, and its tail was up over the body and the anus protruding. Was the "anus thing" to do with the eye problems, or was it to do with the dragging legs do you reckon?

Before I realized it was manky I had knecked it with bare hands, and probably touched around the eyes, would that cause any problems of health to me?

Not that I'm a medically qualified expert, but Myxy isn't harmful to humans, howver there is a form of Rabbit flu that if it gets in your hands can kill. There was a guy in Norfolk early part of the year who died from it just before the Bernard Matthews Bird Flu scare.

SS

ive shot and handled a few with mixy over the years and ime still here, ok it could have some thing to do with the reason i cant spell :unsure: i read somwhere that you can feed the meat to your ferrets after skinning and discarding the head(perferably burning or berying the skin)

Mixy is passed on by rabbit fleas. Hence when it is wet and rabbits are in close proximity in burrows, the disease spreads faster.

It is not an airbournce diseas, the fleas are the vector.

"Myxomatosis is spread by blood sucking insects. A major insect parasite which transmits the disease in this country is mosquitothe rabbit flea which is frequently found on wild rabbits although is less common on pet rabbits. In other countries, including some European countries, it is known that mosquitoes are a major insect vector of myxomatosis. Although this has never been proved in Britain, there is strong circumstantial evidence that mosquitoes transmit myxomatosis in the United Kingdom.

Incidently, myxomatosis is not easily spread by simple contact from one rabbit to another. For instance if a myxomatosis-infected rabbit is placed in the same hutch as a healthy rabbit and neither rabbit is parasitised by fleas or mosquitoes, the disease is virtually never transmitted by contact.. Myxomatosis virus can remain alive in the blood of fleas for many months and it is probably by over wintering of fleas in rabbit burrows that the disease is transmitted from year to topyear."

Have a read of:

http://www.parkvets.com/clientinformation-myxoinfo.html

/Mad