vintage tractor

viking

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my mate has just said that one fordson im looking at looks like an industrial one, is that a good or bad thing or neither here nor there

Industrial were mainly for light haulage work and for converting to things like road sweepers or winching tractors. The normally dont have PTO, three point linkage or a belt pulley but instead have improvements for road use like speedo, single brake pedal and improved brakes (i think) under slung exhaust and often came with wheel weights and cabs. Every industrial tractor i have seen was always originally yellow.

Ebay prices seem to be quite steep, i would keep an eye on Gumtree or the auctions. There was recently a large vintage auction in cambridgeshire the results for majors are listed here

https://machinerysales.cheffins.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/131/?page=1&view=list&key=major&sale=undefined&catm=any&order=order_num&xclosed=no&featured=no

I've done that I fitted a 140hp ford 360 turbo engine in one. Unfortunately the gearbox input shaft bearings cannot take that amount of torque for very long.

I have been told a power major back end can handle around 500hp with little modification as such they are very popular with the tractor pulling boys.

One of our neighbours traded in his old dark blue Major for a brand new light blue model. Came home on day with 3-f plough on the back and not much weight on the front, saw something lying in the lane and decided to stop and pick it up, pressed down on the clutch pedal and spun sideways into a deep ditch. Anybody who has driven both types will know that Ford re-arranged the controls, so what would have been the clutch on the old tractor was in fact one of the independent brake pedals.

No doubt some sanctimonious Mr Clever-Clogs will point out the he should have locked the two pedals together, but when you have been using the independent brakes all day it is easy to forget. And in any case, in the days of non-reversible ploughs you were always using one brake much more than the other, so they very soon became unbalanced even with the pedal lock in place.

I have been told a power major back end can handle around 500hp with little modification as such they are very popular with the tractor pulling boys.

Your bang on there they did use them.

when we were cutting marrowstem kale for the cattle ..our gloves used to get wet and our hands were freezing.....so we used to dry the gloves out holding them on the exhaust....and t5he seat was a hessian sack full of straw............

That was luxury we just used provin bags

..... seat was a hessian sack full of straw............

Ah, those hessian sacks. So many uses for them, not least of which was to wrap around the top strand of barbed wire at crossing points.

All our grain went away in hired sacks until around 1958. Railway sacks, West of England Sack Company (were those the ones with the squirrel logo?) and Gopsill Browns (a term still occasionally used for any stout dark trousers – “Is that a new pair of Gopsill Browns you’re wearing?”).

I was big enough to work the manual winder and raise the 18 stone sacks of wheat, but thank God I was still too small to carry them on my back like the grown men were doing.

Railway sacks were either so tough or else so foul tasting that the rats tended to shun them and go instead for the thinner, more open weave hessian bags. We seemed to spend half the winter using Copydex to patch up damaged sacks; what on earth do folk occupy themselves with nowadays when it's too wet to go on the land?

Farmer next to my father used to deal in old tractors fordsons, & dexters, the john deere's with 3 wheels A3's I think.

Growing up my favorite on the farm was our orange Nuffield,

One of my colleagues tells tales of Buster Barnes place at Gedney Dyke, abit before my time unfortunately as i'd have loved to have a route round that sort of place!

Ah, those hessian sacks. So many uses for them, not least of which was to wrap around the top strand of barbed wire at crossing points.

All our grain went away in hired sacks until around 1958. Railway sacks, West of England Sack Company (were those the ones with the squirrel logo?) and Gopsill Browns (a term still occasionally used for any stout dark trousers – “Is that a new pair of Gopsill Browns you’re wearing?”).

I was big enough to work the manual winder and raise the 18 stone sacks of wheat, but thank God I was still too small to carry them on my back like the grown men were doing.

Railway sacks were either so tough or else so foul tasting that the rats tended to shun them and go instead for the thinner, more open weave hessian bags. We seemed to spend half the winter using Copydex to patch up damaged sacks; what on earth do folk occupy themselves with nowadays when it's too wet to go on the land?

all that was still happening in 65...66...67....i know i was doing it...we used to wait for the sack lorry...it would turn up then the driver would fit the stretcher hoist...stand up top and i would move the sacks with the sack barrow onto the automatic hoist.........................

remember cutting patches for the copedex job...smacking them into position with a wooden mallet........................

im not that old and it was still happening then..........

Gosh, you make it sound as though the inhabitants of Norfolk were slightly backward. Presumably they are not like that nowadays?

aaaaaaannnd..............we were still threshing ............reaper/binder used to do 40 acres every year .....then stook and stack....threshing in the winter for the straw for thatching..........

Thanks for the preview Lee :lol:

i know what that is.........put me out of my misery........

Edited by ditchman

aaaaaaannnd..............we were still threshing ............reaper/binder used to do 40 acres every year .....then stook and stack....threshing in the winter for the straw for thatching..........

i know what that is.........put me out of my misery........

Nice little Ransome ditchman.