Night vision help

Shootet gal

Hi, are you after one that replaces your scope - known as a dedicated night vision scope? These are mostly slightly better than add-on types at night but are not as good as a real scope in daylight.

Or one that is added on to (all of) your usual scope(s) - which are generally refered to as 'add on night vision? These are better for people who mostly shoot in daylight but might opt to extend their shooting into darkness and want to be more covert than lamping with visible light.

Edited by Dave-G

Yukon photon with a t20 black sun if torch from wardy.

I have one on my hmr and it's easily usable up to 100 yards with the onboard. If you get a better picture with the extra ir torch and it'll stretch to 200 yards.

For the money they are the best there no question . They are also very insinctive and more like a day scope in use .

The only issue with them is that they are not brilliant in the day but they are usable.

hello, one must remember that there is no second user warranty on photons, unless the importer has changed the policy, i have a Photon MK 1 on my CZ455 L/R now and through the winter months,

Just plain wrong there oldy, the warranty is transferable as confirmed by the manufacturers on many occasions. The only difficulty lies in ascertaining when the unit was originally purchased as, technically, its warranted for 3 years from that date....but Thomas Jacks should know from the serial number when it was manufactured and imported and treat it accordingly.

Their customer service has improved in leaps and bounds over the last few years...just be honest with them if you have a problem. If you do buy a secondhand scope just check that nothings been tampered with as it will invalidate the warranty...and try and get the original receipt.

Cheers

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

Just plain wrong there oldy, the warranty is transferable as confirmed by the manufacturers on many occasions. The only difficulty lies in ascertaining when the unit was originally purchased as, technically, its warranted for 3 years from that date....but Thomas Jacks should know from the serial number when it was manufactured and imported and treat it accordingly.

Their customer service has improved in leaps and bounds over the last few years...just be honest with them if you have a problem. If you do buy a secondhand scope just check that nothings been tampered with as it will invalidate the warranty...and try and get the original receipt.

Cheers

Fizz

good luck with thomas jacks. i had this issue and a mate both had to pay. would never buy another or deal with them. definite fault in photons holding zero just google

hello, one must remember that there is no second user warranty on photons, unless the importer has changed the policy, i have a Photon MK 1 on my CZ455 L/R now and through the winter months,

hello, it is also worth noting that these night vision units are not ideal in fog or mist even with extra I/R as happen the first night this Autumn i went out, i had thought not to go as i have known this for years but i wanted to get out in the fields, oh and it peed down :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for their help.

I will be purchasing a new scope. So that i can get the warranty with it.wouldnt bye a second hand one.as you dont no if its been missed handled or not. So will.bye new. Not sure what one seen so many. But will research a bit longer..Thanks again

I will be purchasing a new scope. So that i can get the warranty with it.wouldnt bye a second hand one.as you dont no if its been missed handled or not. So will.bye new. Not sure what one seen so many. But will research a bit longer..Thanks again

You might be looking in the wrong places if you are searching for a night vision "scope" I previously referred to "Add on Night vision" or dedicated night vision. The dedicated type could indeed be called a scope but add-on types are less likely to be found if looking for scopes.

I've stood back and waited for anyone else to put forward a shed build and tried to avoid promoting my own night vision add on builds in this thread but I can only think of linking to one to show you what a shed built 'add-on night vision' is - and I'm darned if I'll link to anyone elses's, especially given your budget. :lol:

So here is a link to a commercially made "dedicated" night vision scope - which replaces your daytime scope and good for 150~200 meters. Night performance can slightly surpass 'add on' performance but day use is nowhere near as good as a regular scope. If bought new they have a 3 year warranty and retails about £385. You view the image screen as you would a daytime scope: https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/yukon-photon-xt-6-5x50l-digital-night-vision-riflescope/. Some (usually older) users get 'eye sting' with their eye being so close to the screen radiation.

Here is a link to a commercially made 100 meter rated Modular Add On that has three components individually clamped to the eyebell of your daytime scope.. You view the image on a monitor above the scope and retails at £399 ish: https://www.nitesite.com/products/hunting/scope-mounted/viper You dont get eye sting but your face is dimly lit up - though the quarry will see the red glow of the illuminator thats focused directly at it more than your face. It has two trailing cables that have been erm... 'not fully shown' on their images - one for the camera and one from a battery pack.

Here is a link to a 'shed built' add on night vision that I make suited for shooting up to 200 ish meters - cost is just over £300 when you buy your own 18650 batteries and charger that I do not supply - to be fitted inside the screen module, and only one trailing cable from the camera. I warrant them for a year. This also dimly lights up your face but the quarry still sees the focusable IR more. It is by far the quickest to fit so I call it the "KwikFit Add On Night Vision" Search Google for it or find a dated thread on this forum which I will be updating soon now I can resume making a slightly modified version of them here: https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/349712-kwikfit-add-on-night-vision-rigs-reduced-prices-for-2017/?hl=%2Bkwikfit+%2Bnight+%2Bvision

Edited by Dave-G

Having seen DaveG's build I can only say that they are very good value for money.

No connection at all.apart from having interest in one some time ago and spending some time looking through one with Dave.

I decided to go for an ARCHER in the end, but that's not in your budget.

You don't have a location in your profile so no idea how far you'd need to travel to have an unobligated demo - but if East Leicester border is reachable we can arrange a meet after dark.

A big thanks to everyone for their help about me chosen what n/v to get been reading all your posts and looking at utube. I have came to a decision the one i am going to go with is the.

ATN X HD 2 digital night vision. A bit more than i wanted to spend but what the hell we only live once.. so many thanks to all the members who took time to read and help me.

Many thanks again

John.

Ps. Only one thing need to find out about the ATN. Will post it on shortly maybe youse can help again.

A big thanks to everyone for their help about me chosen what n/v to get been reading all your posts and looking at utube. I have came to a decision the one i am going to go with is the.

ATN X HD 2 digital night vision. A bit more than i wanted to spend but what the hell we only live once.. so many thanks to all the members who took time to read and help me.

Many thanks again

John.

Ps. Only one thing need to find out about the ATN. Will post it on shortly maybe youse can help again.

a lot better choice than photon i would imagine mate. not looked through x sight apart from at game fair but all footage on the net looks good. i am thinking of drone pro but the ward d vision is doing the job with new ir. i can switch it through my different rifles

Cheers

Fizz

hello Fizz, oh well that is good to know, thomas jack has indeed improved their customer service, is that just Yukon? i have been looking at a XT but see they had ones with a reticule problem ,

Thanks for everyone's help

As one of the members was asking. I would be using it in the day time as well as night

Thanks

In that case the XT is bloody useless,used one for 2 weeks and got shot.Grainy rubbish that is totally useless in day light.Why pay 400+ to have to start modding it to get it to be somewhere near satisfactory.As said on many of Phonton thread 'why did they bring out a unsuitable scope)

PM Dave G and get an add on.

Edited by Davyo