Watsapp and phone data usage?

lancer425

A question being computer and phone illegitimate. :lol:

WHATSAPP on a typical phone package say 500 mins and 1gb of data if you phone via whatsapp do you lose phone mins or is it just data used.? and if you conect through house broadband is it the same?

Just trying to save on mins run a cheaper package.

A whatsapp phone call will just use data.

Use it on wifi and it wont cut into your mobile data allowance = free call

...except watch out that your phone does not default to the local network (most iPhones on Vodafone do) and switch the phone to Airplane mode, then turn on the WiFi.

I'm currently in the US and Vodafone have blocked WiFi dialing outside of the UK and try to charge users £5 per day for use in the US. I'm using WhatsApp, Skype and FaceTime all for free (or lttle cost on Skype) with the above settings.

Does this work as a normal phone call then but what's app to what's app only? I've seen it says calls but never used it, just used it for msgs and photos, be handy to know.

Cheers

Yes, you can use it as a phone to anyone else with whatsapp. I believe (but too technical for me) you can also use it for video calls. I stand to be corrected on that part though.

...except watch out that your phone does not default to the local network (most iPhones on Vodafone do) and switch the phone to Airplane mode, then turn on the WiFi.

I'm currently in the US and Vodafone have blocked WiFi dialing outside of the UK and try to charge users £5 per day for use in the US. I'm using WhatsApp, Skype and FaceTime all for free (or lttle cost on Skype) with the above settings.

Really ? Thats not good at all, your settings should always be set to turn data roaming off anyway, unless you absolutely know its not going to cost you.

A lot of UK carriers are incorporating data and call allowances outside the UK, although its mainly Europe.

The only issue with whatsapp and skype calls is ,sometimes the quality is a bit rubbish, not necessarily to do with wifi speed either, but if its free its free.