squirrel control

Mice!

I'm going to keep it short for a change because its been a long day. 

I decided to shoot the golf course wood again,  I had a feeling there would be more, and I was right.

It was around 715 when I walked into the wood, and it was probably 8am when I had two squirrels down, the first came through some thin hawthorn branches, very odd, the second along the ground,  neither made it to the feeder.

Screenshot_20230301-105307_Gallery.jpg.d1f23b8ac4cc2821aceeec2552ea081f.jpg

Screenshot_20230301-105329_Gallery.jpg.73e3004bc282091693b08bc25d2b6f44.jpg

This feeder is ticking over nicely now, but strangely I saw no tits at the feeder today?

Screenshot_20230301-105316_Gallery.jpg.528282daa08d3fd2df66c04317ea3880.jpg

Two males.

After half an hour I decided to take a walk, there is often a squirrel at the far end of the wood, and there was today,  it ran, but not far, off my knees and the sticks Pfft Whack and it just rolled off the branch.

Big female.

Screenshot_20230301-105340_Gallery.jpg.555ae4b9599bdd95761c01a95b47979b.jpg

Really happy with this one, so that's 5 out of here in two weeks, but I saw two others. 

I then went to measure the lid on the tiger feeder as its falling apart,  imagine my surprise at finding the feeder empty despite shooting 5 last week 😳😳

I expected it to be quiet for a few weeks, obviously not.

OK short ish 👍

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out to check my feeders today but took the gun any ways, first up the level had hardly gone down and nothing about so went along to the second one where the level had gone down,gave it a clean out and topped up with peanuts, as I had been creating a bit of disturbance I thought I would walk round the far side of the wood which is higher up. After a slow watchful walk I thought I heard claws on bark but wasn't sure as I had a hat on due to the cold wind,scanned all over and I spotted a squirrel running along a branch towards the trunk, got the gun leaned on a handy tree and looked through the scope,the grey was peaking through the V of trunk and branch and luckily I was able to thread a pellet through for a head shot,it was quite strange the way it sort of floated down, it landed softly rolled about a little before expiring,a nice clean humane kill. Never saw another thing so 100% sucess rate!

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

Out to check my feeders today but took the gun any ways, first up the level had hardly gone down and nothing about so went along to the second one where the level had gone down,gave it a clean out and topped up with peanuts, as I had been creating a bit of disturbance I thought I would walk round the far side of the wood which is higher up. After a slow watchful walk I thought I heard claws on bark but wasn't sure as I had a hat on due to the cold wind,scanned all over and I spotted a squirrel running along a branch towards the trunk, got the gun leaned on a handy tree and looked through the scope,the grey was peaking through the V of trunk and branch and luckily I was able to thread a pellet through for a head shot,it was quite strange the way it sort of floated down, it landed softly rolled about a little before expiring,a nice clean humane kill. Never saw another thing so 100% sucess rate!

Do you find when we have a cold snap coming they in a way go back into hibernation at this time of the year & go off the feed as such? 

1 hour ago, Stephen-H said:

Do you find when we have a cold snap coming they in a way go back into hibernation at this time of the year & go off the feed as such? 

More likely they'll want to eat, they may hunker down for a day or so if its really cold and windy,  but then they'll be hungry 👍

16 minutes ago, Mice! said:

More likely they'll want to eat, they may hunker down for a day or so if its really cold and windy,  but then they'll be hungry 👍

Cheers I did think this at some point they will be forced to have to come out of hiding. 

Edited by Stephen-H

I was out at 7.15 this morning as well. Out to the start of the red zone. Checked the usual places but no greys. By chance I was in a little visited area, when I spotted a grey on the ground. Cutting the story short, it led me a merry dance over a 5 ft dry stone wall and up a steep muddy slope ending up a large oak. By the time I had detoured to find a gate and slogged up the hill, I was knackered. After abit of hide and seek, I spotted the outline of its back tight to the trunk. I took aim with the.410 and fired and instead of dropping, it ran up the tree, only to drop down dead when it reached the top. A tough critter and a juvenile male.

Returning back to the car via the ravine/waterfalls, I caught sight of this very dark red followed by another red a few minutes later. This was encouraging as we had a single case of pox in the wood a month ago.

0F7EFC15-817F-4299-861D-59B1073120BC.jpeg.0fc95ed14e2c10fac8258d4726efbe6f.jpeg

Changing the subject, one of my householders has just caught 2 greys in a loan trap. These are the first greys We have caught in the village for months. Turned out he was using hazelnuts!

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

Cutting the story short, it led me a merry dance over a 5 ft dry stone wall and up a steep muddy slope ending up a large oak. By the time I had detoured to find a gate and slogged up the hill, I was knackered.

You mean you didn't just jump over? You be careful up there👍

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

Returning back to the car via the ravine/waterfalls, I caught sight of this very dark red followed by another red a few minutes later. This was encouraging as we had a single case of pox in the wood a month ago

Brilliant mate, hopefully it was an isolated case, and seeing two reds is great news.

4 hours ago, old man said:

Another blank Thursday, trying to negotiate a move with the keeper.

Is the feed dropping?

I'd have thought if the keeper is happy for you to on shooting then he'd let you have a few feeders up, at least then your not just shooting the same spot each time.

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Is the feed dropping?

I'd have thought if the keeper is happy for you to on shooting then he'd let you have a few feeders up, at least then your not just shooting the same spot each time.

Have to fit in with shoot requirements. Had 2 locations, lost one due to new fence. Tried to lure them outside of the wood but not able to so down to one at present. The odd one seen seems to be very scared in tree top travel at top speed.

Hopefully more locations next week.

19 minutes ago, old man said:

Have to fit in with shoot requirements

I can understand that, but a fella shooting a feeder hardly cause a disturbance?

26 minutes ago, old man said:

The odd one seen seems to be very scared in tree top travel at top speed

Seems to be the same in a few areas mate.

Was out this morning on a feeder I set up a few weeks ago, its actually in a wood Iv'e shot before and cleared the greys out of. The squirrel group have maintained their presence with some trapping and a feeder as required with a trail cam helping, now its a 50 acre wood so a bit of room so I had set my feeder up away from the existing one. After a week the level had gone down one inch, checked again after another week and empty! now the public have public footpaths through this wood but can be found wandering all over the place and I thought someone had played a trick on me by taking all the nuts as none of the squirrel group have seen many greys and the trail cam showed only one red and grey visiting their box. I topped it up on friday gone so thought would go this morning before the bad weather arrives later in the week. I got settled in to wait and could see the level had gone down since friday, I had hardly got my gun loaded before there was a grey on the box, nice head shot, one down, I had another two within half an hour and could see some playing tag in the distance, as it was quite cold(could see my breath)was going to give it two hours total but on an hour and a half bagged the fourth one and decided I needed to feel my hands again. In total saw seven greys and got four, lets hope this helps the one remaining red as we've had a bout of squirrel pox this year.

52 minutes ago, Mice! said:

@ratchers well done fella, was the groups feed old stuff? Wheat or maize? Some seem to think you can put any feed out and it will bring in the squirrels,  but we know it doesn't work like that.

They use a mixture of wheat maize and sunflower seeds, I have used wheat in an open hopper before and it does work but peanuts are best but I cant afford to use an open hopper with peanuts,the food would be gone in no time, although its nice to see the songbirds about I just use simple lift lid feeding boxes.

I new it would be a slow start where I was going, with the cold and this wood,  so I got to the wood at 7 having set up last night.
7:50 the barking and squeaking started from above me, it obviously new I was there, and was making some very odd noises, but I new I had to just sit still and wait. After 15 mins of harassment it charged up to the feeder tree,  Pfft Whack, not quite sideways on to me, large female,  and 5 mins later a second much smaller male came in, straight up onto the feeder and under the lid, took a nut then sat up on the top, straight on through the head, Pfft Whack. 

Screenshot_20230308-120600_Gallery.jpg.bdc3a3d4aff3a549edf85b6d54473b17.jpg

Two down in a short session 😁

My ability to get about is now critical due to hip problems and I don't think I will be able to cover the squirrels at Moor Hall Golf Club, Suton Coldfield as much as I normally would.  There are three flip tops already in position and access with a vehicle is possible as long as ground is dry.  The head green keeper is a great bloke and easy to deal with.  Any control has to be before 08.30-9am as it is a very busy course.  Shooting from fixed positions so no wandering about.

If you live within strking distance and would like an introduction then PM me.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My ability to get about is now critical due to hip problems and I don't think I will be able to cover the squirrels at Moor Hall Golf Club, Suton Coldfield as much as I normally would.  There are three flip tops already in position and access with a vehicle is possible as long as ground is dry.  The head green keeper is a great bloke and easy to deal with.  Any control has to be before 08.30-9am as it is a very busy course.  Shooting from fixed positions so no wandering about.

If you live within strking distance and would like an introduction then PM me.

I've been thinking you were quiet,  like Ratchers says, I hope someone steps up and continues like you have.

Not all done and dusted yet Kev. It is just very frustrating.  I have had an xray two weeks ago but no result YET. I have a friend with a similar problem and his surgeon says the bean counters at the NHS will only allow them to do four hips a day because of the cost yet only a few miles away the government are spending multi billions on a vaste white elephant called HS2.   If and when I get fully back on my feet there is enough fun at Moor Hall for two of us.

41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Not all done and dusted yet Kev. It is just very frustrating

I should hope not 👍

Your absolutely right about  HS2 I don't see the point,  just hope you get yourself sorted as soon as possible,  is it possible you could look at private? 

At fifteen plus grand ....NO!!

My private scheme will not cover it either.  As said very frustrating.  I have good days and bad days but sometimes a good half day.    My other tree rat sites are short of targets at the moment. Gone very quiet. 

HS2 is like covid...somebody has made a lot of money out of it.