Not used to This

pigeon controller

Following the second week of Man Flu and choughing up Florins ( Ten Pence) I ventured out with my shooting pal. He was climbing the walls with Cabin Fever, one day for Christmas is enough. We had no idea where to start but I'd had a call on Christmas Eve from a farmer who said that his daughter had walked the dogs across the rape and disturbed a good number of birds so we decided to start on that farm and on the way out look at others. We had a discussion in the Disco on the way out that the big snow covering the week before Christmas had forced the birds into the woods and to feed on acorns. Last weeks roost shoot confirmed that they were rammed with acorns so we would be lucky to find them on rape and that proved to be the case. After seventy miles and sixteen farms we only found birds on the field that we have shot for the passed three weeks this being the fourth. We could not view the field as the owner had locked the gate as he was away for the holiday so we had to drive to the tenant farmer and get the key. On our return we found approx seventy birds down but none joining. It was now midday and we chose a position to shoot from which was comfortable for us out of the very strong wind. We decided to put two magnets close to each other and the eight other decoys close to them in a block pattern . The idea being that due to the strong wind the birds would be looking for groups landing with confidence. We were all set up for 13.00 and the birds started to come in on the wind and the more shots brought more birds, It was all over by 15.00 and we called it a day and ended the day with fiftythree pigeons and five corvids  

100_3019.jpg

53 Pigeons and 5 Corvids

Top couple of hours there PC. Well done for making the effort to get out with the dreaded man flu. A lot of rape but very few  birds on it my way or returning. Not many in the roost woods either. Another quiet winter. Haven't had more than 25 since beginning of November. The few that are about seem reluctant to leave the game covers, of which there's a lot.   NB

We've checked the game cover on a number of farms and not seen a large number but during roost shooting we have two or three hundred coming in to roost. Our situation is unique as we have a good number of roosts within the city limits i.e. Cemeteries , parks and golf courses. We have tried to follow the flightline out in the morning but they just dissipate out to all the oaks in the fields.with no specific flightline to shoot.

12 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

I'm used to shooting more.

Welcome to the real world of 98% of the members on a good / to excellent days pigeon shooting at this time of the year , and that would be not having the dreaded man flu. :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR     P C ..  Your next big bag is just around the corner .......... first left............................then left again ................................................ Anyhow .... If anyone can find them ...... You can .... All The Best.

Thanks Marsh Man, I do take my shooting seriously but also I believe in Karma, what you put into it you get out of it. When we go out we always aim for  a ton bag. You can only shoot what is on the field or around. I don't want to appear flippant but over nearly thirty years of shooting our area we can  read the signs which is to our advantage. Don't get me wrong we are grateful for whatever birds we can shoot. I post my results to encourage other shooters to continue and remember what works for them. 

Thanks for the instructions to my next bag.