Enoch Powell - What a Gentleman

Vince Green

He was a well known politician here in N/I.

John Enoch Powell, MBE, known as Enoch Powell, was a British politician, classical scholar, philologist, and poet. He served as a Conservative Member of Parliament, Ulster Unionist Party MP, and Minister of Health.

Edited by ordnance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/24/2018 at 17:16, Gordon R said:

The current lot couldn't hold a candle to him. Corbyn would do well to match his honesty, intellect, courage and foresight. Sadly, he isn't fit to lace Enoch's shoes.

Harold Wilson and Maggie Thatcher aside, we haven't had a decent leader since Enoch's time.

100 % agree

Anyone remember Ray Huniford? again sacrificed on the PC altar.

keg - I had forgotten Ray Honeyford, but just Googled him. Being right wasn't enough to save him.

It's a bit like the anti-game shooting lobby. They might be rather shallow individuals with limited intelligence, but they are far more vociferous than their opponents. Shouting the loudest does work in today's social media society.

On 24/01/2018 at 22:37, Vince Green said:

The more you read about him the more surprising things emerge. It was probably due to Powell that Britain did not enter the Vietnam war. Harold Wilson turned down a request from US to provide troops but it was Powell who influenced Wilson although they were on opposite sides of the house. Wilson recognised Powell was a great military thinker and respected his advice, which turned out to be spot on.

Britain allowed Aussie troops to serve in Vietnam instead as a face saver

Didn’t know that! So we ask America for help in 2 world wars and then we then turn down a request for help In a localised conflict.

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

keg - I had forgotten Ray Honeyford, but just Googled him. Being right wasn't enough to save him.

It's a bit like the anti-game shooting lobby. They might be rather shallow individuals with limited intelligence, but they are far more vociferous than their opponents. Shouting the loudest does work in today's social media society.

SO true ! But not really the way forward,is it ? It`s the principle of mob rule .....

As far as I know the US entered WW2 in 1941, a day after the Japanese (German allies) bombed the US base at Pearl Harbour....it was a cowardly attack that the US had no choice but to respond to.......so they did!......  nothing to do with the UK asking, pleading or begging for help!

33 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

As far as I know the US entered WW2 in 1941, a day after the Japanese (German allies) bombed the US base at Pearl Harbour....it was a cowardly attack that the US had no choice but to respond to.......so they did!......  nothing to do with the UK asking, pleading or begging for help!

They way I understood it is the UK asked America for assistance during WW2 this request was not popular amongst the general public of the good old US of A the timely attack on Pearl Harbour was very fortunate for us at least as it drew them into the war with the then full backing of joe American public, I don’t think we pleaded or begged for assistance but ask we certainly did. And let’s be brutally honest, thank god they did come to our assistance.

1 minute ago, JimLondon said:

They way I understood it is the UK asked America for assistance during WW2 this request was not popular amongst the general public of the good old US of A the timely attack on Pearl Harbour was very fortunate for us at least as it drew them into the war with the then full backing of joe American public, I don’t think we pleaded or begged for assistance but ask we certainly did. And let’s be brutally honest, thank god they did come to our assistance.

Sound about right :good:

From the shows I've seen on the history channel, it's decribed as pleading (maybe because they are American made), so I probably shouldn't have used that terminology. I don’t buy in to the whole, 'thank God they did', them joining the war definitely helped, mainly money wise, but we were far from losing, I'd more say thank God for the USSR.

This is quite interesting, looks at it from the UK and US point of view

http://www.abroadintheyard.com/did-the-usa-save-britains-***-in-ww2/

The US made a tonne of money from us by not joining the war early on.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

From the shows I've seen on the history channel, it's decribed as pleading (maybe because they are American made), so I probably shouldn't have used that terminology. I don’t buy in to the whole, 'thank God they did', them joining the war definitely helped, mainly money wise, but we were far from losing, I'd more say thank God for the USSR.

This is quite interesting, looks at it from the UK and US point of view

http://www.abroadintheyard.com/did-the-usa-save-britains-***-in-ww2/

The US made a tonne of money from us by not joining the war early on.

Wasn't it then Russia?........Not the USSR?

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:47, JimLondon said:

Didn’t know that! So we ask America for help in 2 world wars and then we then turn down a request for help In a localised conflict.

America didn't enter WW1 (in 1917!) until Germany started sinking their ships, they didn't enter WW2 until Japan attacked and sunk the US fleet in Pearl Harbour Hawaii

In neither case did they enter the war to help us because we asked them to. I don't think we should get over sentimental about why they entered. Until Pearl Harbour the popular support in America backed Germany

Edited by Vince Green

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

America didn't enter WW1 (in 1917!) until Germany started sinking their ships, they didn't enter WW2 until Japan attacked and sunk the US fleet in Pearl Harbour Hawaii

In neither case did they enter the war to help us because we asked them to. I don't think we should get over sentimental about why they entered. Until Pearl Harbour the popular support in America backed Germany

Why we're American ships anywhere near Europe, if indeed they were within reach of the German navy and why would Germany sink ships of a neutral country??

5 minutes ago, JimLondon said:

Why we're American ships anywhere near Europe, if indeed they were within reach of the German navy and why would Germany sink ships of a neutral country??

When you consider the fact the man wanted to dominate the world eventually why not drop some Yanks when the occasion arose, Less to deal with later :(