Claiming for back-dated sleep in shift rates.

steve_b_wales

My wife, like myself, works in the private mental health sector. At present, she does 10 sleep in shifts per month, and gets paid £30 per shift. Soon, she will be paid the new rate of £60 per shift and has been informed that she can make a claim via a government website for backdated pay (£30 per shift) for 6 years. Hopefully, this will materialise and a nice amount will be paid into her bank account.

Dont get me wrong, i would not do that job for all tea in China, but not only will your wife get it but every other sleep in carer in the country get it. It will cost the country millions of pounds. Nice if it happens to be you or one of yours but who thinks its fair to the rest of society.    

17 minutes ago, peck said:

Dont get me wrong, i would not do that job for all tea in China, but not only will your wife get it but every other sleep in carer in the country get it. It will cost the country millions of pounds. Nice if it happens to be you or one of yours but who thinks its fair to the rest of society.    

Interesting point, i (public sector) and my better half (private sector) will often end up sleeping whilst at work but as we are salaried (likely to an overall higher hourly rate) I doubt either of us would be eligible for any back payment. I hate sleeping whilst potentially having to jump and run at any moment, you end up sleeping with one eye open and even after a good six hours i often feel barely rested, or alternatively when things have been more manic you get to bed and sleep so deeply nothing will wake you up. The idea of only being paid for it if you are woken seems like madness to me.

My brother does similar, 3 no 24hr shifts back to back for 72 hours split up 36hrs full pay and 36 hrs 'sleeping' at 'on call rate' which is usually 2/3 actual sleeping and 1/3 on playstation/internet etc.

He is certainly not complaining as the money is better than he was on previously but more importantly...... 4 days off a week and still getting a full wage.

13 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

My brother does similar, 3 no 24hr shifts back to back for 72 hours split up 36hrs full pay and 36 hrs 'sleeping' at 'on call rate' which is usually 2/3 actual sleeping and 1/3 on playstation/internet etc.

He is certainly not complaining as the money is better than he was on previously but more importantly...... 4 days off a week and still getting a full wage.

Now that sounds good, for me it has always been an extra demand of the job though the better half gets time in lieu (one month as far as i could tell she was abroad for one week then had the rest of the month off).

I’ve done plenty of sleep in shift at children’s homes for the council over the last 2 years of my degree and still do the odd shift. 

I queried the proposed changes with the councils HR department, as you are supposedly asleep from 0000 - 0700 and paid a £32 ‘sleep in bonus for this time’. 

I stated that this only equates to £4.57 an hour and is less than minimum wage. 

The HR replied to me that as we are paid around £10.50 an hour when not asleep (1500 - 0000 and then 0700-1000) then it works out as a total of 19 hours at work and £158 for the shift before deductions. 

£158 / 19 hours = £8.31 an hour. 

If we are awoken at night however we do get paid our hourly rate plus a 1/3. 

Therefore they claimed that the pay is above minimum wage and they don’t have to pay us any extra. 

Are they right in saying this? 

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Why wouldn’t he get 4 days off if he’s worked all his hours? You make it sound like a perk of the job. 

Its the people who’ve done all their hours but are made to go on for extra for no pay that should be worried. 

Edited by Lloyd90