Show Them What They Want to See

Called out on Tuesday to a field of rape that had been shot on Saturday and Sunday with the best bag of 27. I knew the field well after shooting it for thirty years and they favour certain trees to sit and watch the decoy pattern before committing. So when I loaded the Disco put in two lofting pigeon. These are two plastic decoys fitted to the end of a ten meter telescopic flagpole,which I have modified the base to have a 3/8 B.S.F. thread which in turn scews into a telescopic 5 meter paint roller handle. This gives me the total height of  48 feet in old money which is more that adequate to present birds.

The idea behind all this extra equipment was to give me the edge over the previous shooters. I set up the magnet and ten birds on spikes and the two lofters and retreated to the hide and the first birds in came straight to the lofted birds. I shot from 11.00 to 17.00 and collected sixtyfour birds , 90% of the birds came to the lofted birds and ignored the decoys.

100_3077.jpg

90% of the birds came to the lofted decoys

100_3079.jpg

64 Pigeons after being shot for two days

Went out this morning and headed to some rape we have not shot for three weeks in anticipation that the numbers had built up again. As we approached the first field we spooked about fifty off the field , this was disapointing as we had seen larger number on it previously. We moved on to another farm and the same here a smaller number of birds than previous weeks. It all fell on the last farm to produce the numbers we were looking for , so as we turned into the field it erupted infront of us, that will do as we tried to decide the best hide position. We had little wind so the birds could in theory come from any direction and drop and turn into the decoys from any direction. So we decided to site the hide on the top of a bank to improve the visability of the decoys across the field. We set up with ten on spikes and two on the magnet and the birds came in straight away. We shot from 11.00 to 17.30, we hung on for an extra thirty minutes as we were aware that we were close to a certain large figure. When we had packed up and laid out for the photo we had one hundred and eighty seven pigeons down. Mega day again.

100_3082.jpg

187 pigeons

good fieldcraft with the lofters its something I have always thought about using but just never have but should do, certain situations it would be deadly.

awesome 2nd bag they were still flighting at 5.30pm today were I was shot my last 2 birds at that time 

The reason behind my " lofting " was that the field had been shot two days before . How many times have you sat in your hide and a bird comes to the decoys and then goes to and adjacent tree and all the subsequent birds follow it and you say to yourself " what's wrong with my decoys" . The answer being nothing it a confidence thing . They are more confident being high in a tree than being vulnerable on the ground . That's my therory. 

On 3/25/2018 at 10:37, pigeon controller said:

The reason behind my " lofting " was that the field had been shot two days before . How many times have you sat in your hide and a bird comes to the decoys and then goes to and adjacent tree and all the subsequent birds follow it and you say to yourself " what's wrong with my decoys" . The answer being nothing it a confidence thing . They are more confident being high in a tree than being vulnerable on the ground . That's my therory. 

Great shooting and write up yet again PC.

Don't think theory more like knowledge from many years in the field and long may it continue.

GG :good: