drone camera flyers

mel b3

hiya guys,

a bit of a daft one , but how hard is it to learn to fly one of those drone/quad copter thingies ?.

we have a bit of woodland that is hard to get to on foot (it can be seen though). is it worth getting one of these flying  camera jobbies , to fly through and take a look ? , or should i just get wading through a freezing cold stream for a few hundred yards ?, and take a look myself ?.

the reason im asking , is that it looks like it might have a nice little camping/picnic area , but it might take an awful lot of work to make a path to it , only to find out that its not suitable.

If its just a one off job i think money would be better spent paying someone to come out with their drone. The cheapy ones are okay but have limitations on the weather they can be used in. I know of a wedding photographer who has one and is also doing aerials surveys for estate agents and another friend in Newmarket is specializing in agricultural work.

They have restrictions to how high you can fly them too, you have to do an approved CAA course if you want to fly them higher. I've nearly hit them when I'm flying around the country at 250ft and people decide to go and get one and then fly them up at around 1000ft. That said with proper training they are awesome!

Edited by Whatmuff

38 minutes ago, ferguson_tom said:

If its just a one off job i think money would be better spent paying someone to come out with their drone. The cheapy ones are okay but have limitations on the weather they can be used in. I know of a wedding photographer who has one and is also doing aerials surveys for estate agents and another friend in Newmarket is specializing in agricultural work.

that might be the way to go. i hadnt got as far as going the professional route yet.

30 minutes ago, Whatmuff said:

They have restrictions to how high you can fly them too, you have to do an approved CAA course if you want to fly them higher. I've nearly hit them when I'm flying around the country at 250ft and people decide to go and get one and then fly them up at around 1000ft. That said with proper training they are awesome!

it would actually be flying down into a ravine thats quite difficult to access on foot(until i can see if its worth the effort of clearing it).

18 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Google Earth?

ive tried google earth , unfortunately it gives you the same view as looking at it from the top of the ravine .  the little wood at the bottom of the ravine,  looks like it may have quite a large flat area that would be fantastic for camping.(it has a waterfall at the side of it , im guessing that the flat area was levelled by a much larger waterfall thousands of years ago).

thank you for the replies so far guys . if its not really doable with the drone , ill just need to wait for the warmer months , and work my way upstream with a chainsaw , its just an awful lot of hard work , and would be a bit of a waste if the piece of land was of no real use when i got there .

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Plus the drone can't give you that feel for a place that just standing there can.  Welsh water in mountain streams in my experience NEVER gets any warmer. 

I've experienced many a Welsh stream, and you're right , but at least I can get out and warm up a bit in the summer.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Surely you can pick your way through with a bow saw or folding silky saw to have a look first before donning a chainsaw and slogging away.

It could certainly be done , but wouldn't be at all easy , I was just looking for an easy option before I got stuck into it.

I have a drone (dji phantom 4 the images both still and video are awesome. They are relatively easy to fly, but I would advise you totally familiarise yourself with the controls before your maiden flight and once your comfortable with what the controls do the next step is to go out and practice simple drills ie forwards/backwards/side to side etc. Keep the drone close to you during your first practice flights, I stayed to around 30m distance and 10m of the ground. You should also familiarise and use any features. Mine has track fly (will auto follow what you click on) and return to home feature which returns to controller with a click of a button (handy if you lose sight of drone). As mention before there are flight restrictions the must be adhered to for safety reasons and anyone charging to fly and record must be licensed. 

I can email you some footage if it would help.

Jim

3 hours ago, JimLondon said:

I have a drone (dji phantom 4 the images both still and video are awesome. They are relatively easy to fly, but I would advise you totally familiarise yourself with the controls before your maiden flight and once your comfortable with what the controls do the next step is to go out and practice simple drills ie forwards/backwards/side to side etc. Keep the drone close to you during your first practice flights, I stayed to around 30m distance and 10m of the ground. You should also familiarise and use any features. Mine has track fly (will auto follow what you click on) and return to home feature which returns to controller with a click of a button (handy if you lose sight of drone). As mention before there are flight restrictions the must be adhered to for safety reasons and anyone charging to fly and record must be licensed. 

I can email you some footage if it would help.

Jim

That would be very interesting Jim, thank you mate.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

get your waders on, your making me want to see what's there anyway ? 

It's probably nothing of interest, just a ww2 bunker lol.

2 hours ago, snow white said:

You could go panning for gold in the stream mate.tony

Don't start her on that one again lol.

2 hours ago, fister said:

Im in mid Wales next week with my DJI Inspire if you are interested. Weather is a huge factor though.

That would have been absolutely perfect, but,I'm stuck at work all week.  I'll gladly send you directions if you can do it without me being there.

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Can't get a pair to fit him ????  No that was cruel:lol:

That's exactly why I haven't already got a pair lol.