Painting barrels

Doitwithstyle

Hi all 

I have done the route of diy blueing . Look amazing in the shade but in the sun light not so good . A weird browning tone .

so going to paint them .

do I need to use bbq paint . / high temp paint 

or will normal spray paint do ? 

I only paid £15 for it . So it will not affect the value .

any help would be amazing . 

P.s if is heat paint . Does it only come in Matt ?? 

A chap I shoot with did his Lincoln. He had been stood under electric lines when it was raining whilst shooting. The water knackered the bluing on his cheapy Lincoln, and also the gun next to him who had a very nice churchill. Anyway he worked in the car mending and painting industry and gave his barrels to one of the lads in the workshop. You couldn't tell they were painted, even up close they looked superb. 

Have done this , on an old hammer gun that was way past normal blacking, and used Duplicolour car spray paint . Point is even if it dosent last a long time it can be done again and if not happy can be taken off with thinners .Not the best job in the world and you dint have to look to close but did the job .

I also did a couple of stainless rifles that were used by Islanders for shooting seals so they did not shine in sunlight .

aldi stove paint works for my marsh guns spray close up and at distance to get a stipple finish leave  day or so     and use a gas torch to do a final cure on the paint lasts well     edds red as gun oil cant go wrong MOP  gives a nice matt finish 

Edited by Saltings

I painted an old browning automatic with  flat black so far it has proved quite tough and as withstood regular use pigeon shooting and the like with very few Marks and chips.

The paint was about £10 off eBay I just bought the one can and still have three quarters of it left.

33 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Well . :( I fudged it up . Was to impatient . So need to rub down and start again .

one question I do have . Did you use primer or just the stove paint 

Just the stove on its own - I did two bolt action .410's about 3 years ago, and the paint is still intact.