.17 hmr

bruno22rf

On 27/04/2018 at 00:05, bruno22rf said:

Struggling to find a reasonable cleaning system for my .17hmr - bought one for a .177 Airgun but boy it's tight down the barrel - any suggestions?

Sounds stupid but cotton buds did a great job on mine last week. With the cleaning rod thst does my 22. 

I just cut the bud and a cm of the platic off each end. 

Bought the Napier universal pull through kit in the end - you simply vary the amount of patches depending on calibre - the kit comes with a list.....2 for a .17hmr - but if you are short of thinking ,like me, you could accidentally put 3 on and struggle with pliers, tweezers and much Anglo Saxon Phraseology for 20 minutes trying to remove the fatherless patches from the breach area.

13 hours ago, Graham M said:

I have a 22 cleaning rod that will do my .22 rf, .223 and .243 but no way in hell will it go down a .17hmr barrel. That needs a dedicated hmr rod which is much thinner than the .22 rod.

I'm sort of leaning in your direction here, my .22 rod is a lot bigger than my 17 rod, but it may still fit, frankly even if it does I don't think the .22 brushes/etc will fit down a .17 bore and I'm pretty sure my 17 fittings don't fit on the end of my .22 rod.

Anyway, I'm speculating/guessing at the moment, if I get a chance I'll actually try later!

Just now, PPP said:

I just use a 17 pull through, isn’t this enough?

Free world, it's up to you, BUT pull throughs were originally designed to give shotguns a quick pull through to get rid of propellant residue which was corrosive until you could get home and clean it properly.  Since those potentially sensible early days the marketing people have got hold of them.

They are now sold as a 2 minute all you need to clean anything fully/completely/totally solution!

19 minutes ago, PPP said:

I just use a 17 pull through, isn’t this enough?

I personally would say no , hmr rounds are very dirty as you would see after using rod,patches and brush , lots of people dont clean hmrs but i believe if you clean them properly from the outset then you wont suffer any accuracy problems where as if you dont clean them and then after god knows how ever many rounds do clean them then youwill suffer problems , l clean mine properly after every outing and the first shot is as accurate as the last

4 hours ago, PPP said:

Do you guys find the HMR needs to be re zeroed after cleaning?  This is why (on advice of shop) I clean my gun every 200 rounds or so with a pull through..

NO!!!!

If you clean your gun regularly and PROPERLY then zero WILL NOT change.

What seems to happen is people give their guns (whatever they may be, but commonly the HMR) a quick once over, raise fouling and then complain it takes ages to shoot straight again. 

Fact is they have NOT cleaned the barrel, they have done a quick job which has generally made it worse than when they started.

Ask yourself.....Why should the zero ever change if you keep the barrel clean?

Edited by Dekers

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

NO!!!!

What seems to happen is people give their guns (whatever they may be, but commonly the HMR) a quick once over, raise fouling and then complain it takes ages to shoot straight again. 

Fact is they have NOT cleaned the barrel, they have done a quick job which has generally made it worse than when they started.

Hmm, I think you'll be banging your head arguing this one.:oops:

On 30/04/2018 at 14:06, Dekers said:

NO!!!!

Ok, thanks, makes sense... gunshop gave interesting advice... any suggestions for cleaning kits?

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:05, Graham M said:

I have a 22 cleaning rod that will do my .22 rf, .223 and .243 but no way in hell will it go down a .17hmr barrel. That needs a dedicated hmr rod which is much thinner than the .22 rod.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 08:12, Dekers said:

I'm sort of leaning in your direction here, my .22 rod is a lot bigger than my 17 rod, but it may still fit, frankly even if it does I don't think the .22 brushes/etc will fit down a .17 bore and I'm pretty sure my 17 fittings don't fit on the end of my .22 rod.

Anyway, I'm speculating/guessing at the moment, if I get a chance I'll actually try later!

Ok, my .22 rod has no chance of getting down  my 17 HMR barrel, it gets stuck at the breech, on top of which my HMR rod has a female end fitting and my .22 rod has a male fitting so brushes etc are not interchangeable!

My 17 rod is a Dewey and I'm impressed with it!

Dekers , lve had the dewey rod in the past but found the plastic coating (which i think is more like some sort of paint rather than plastic) would eventually start to come off , so when cleaning the barrel the patches would be black forever and a day which i summise was the coating off the rod rather than the crud in the barrel

i have now changed to the tipton carbon fibre rod and find im using alot less patches to get the barrel clean than with the dewey , so im thinking the coating on the dewey rod gives false representation of how  dirty the barrel actually is 

1 hour ago, telf said:

Dekers , lve had the dewey rod in the past but found the plastic coating (which i think is more like some sort of paint rather than plastic) would eventually start to come off , so when cleaning the barrel the patches would be black forever and a day which i summise was the coating off the rod rather than the crud in the barrel

i have now changed to the tipton carbon fibre rod and find im using alot less patches to get the barrel clean than with the dewey , so im thinking the coating on the dewey rod gives false representation of how  dirty the barrel actually is 

Fair comment, and I have certainly noticed a bit of wear/removal on the black coating of the Dewey.

Not sure if that is showing as increased dirt on the patches but that Tipton may be worth a look! :good:

This is the result of me cleaning a pals ALREADY CLEANED HMR which he always had zero problems with after allegedly cleaning!

Top row right to left, bottom left to right. Scrub between each patch!  Worked alright after that! :yes:

Dsc01478a.jpg.207f6d2811146054346e79ce773eec6f.jpg