Who needs sleep anyway

Clodhopper

I have been working nights this week which is always a joy. With the weather looking brighter today I had a quick nap when I got home this morning and got up to make the most of the day. First port of call on my list of things to do was a Bean drilling that has had birds on but which have deserted it with the recent inclement weather. I watched for around half an hour and although there were about 50 feeding ,no more joined so I moved on. I had to get the old dog out for a bit of a stroll and check my Larsen traps, which have been accounting for more birds than I have recently. So off I headed to onto the Wolds for a peaceful afternoon in the countryside. It was a lovely ,dry but breezy afternoon, a little chilly as the wind was out of the East

Traps were checked, magpies dealt with and farmers chatted too. By now it was just after 3pm and was thinking of heading home for 40 winks when the phone rang. It was that fine gentleman JDog. He had found some pigeons on some beans, he was  under a lovely line and expected a bit of sport. Was I local and would I like to join him? I was about 20 minutes away, I was there in less than 15.

By the time I arrived there were quite a number of birds down around his hide. I had little kit with me, just a gun and a few cartridges. 

I thought I would get tucked in the edge of the spinney JDog was in but he would have none of it. I was placed in his hide whilst he stood behind giving useful tips like "Ooh this looks an easy one, you cannot possible miss that" as another bird zipped by on the gathering breeze.

The shooting was great, the banter was equal to it. We had about an hour and a half of shooting and picked 60 pigeons before I had to head off to try and get my head down before another night shift.

I have now managed to get my head down and just thought I would jot down a quick account whilst eating supper. 

This was an unexpected find as the drilling was sixteen days old. More unexpected was the fact that Clodhopper was 'local' as he lives miles away. I suspect that he has fixed a tracker device to my car. It was blooming cold everywhere except in the lee of the wood.

I had a good few down before he arrived and had just returned to the car for more cartridges when we made phone contact. I fired no more shots until he was plonked in my hide on my seat. The pigeons were terrific, one minute high in the sky the next minute skimming the field. My companion managed an excellent treble, a feat I had singularly failed to achieve despite having five opportunities to do so before he arrived and when he stopped thinking about the shot he was about to take and simply took the shot he shot better.

What was pleasing is that his old Labrador Max found a lost bird at the end of our session.

Ludford_April_18.jpg

Ludford_3_April_18.jpgLudford_2_April_18.jpg

We picked one more near the hide and I had previously taken six to my car when I ran out of cartridges.

Look a nice place with plenty of cover to keep you warm on a cold day Mr JDog , what a difference in the weather from one county to the next , today we have had heavy rain and very cold winds , the wind have died down a bit now but it is still raining hard with several fields water logged and some of the recent drillings are now under water .:no:

16 hours ago, Fuddster said:

remember the wise words of the Reverend John Bon Jovi and his sermon of 'live when your're alive and sleep when you're dead'.

good effort.

f.

I had about 25 years doing nights on and off, I used to think every day was a holiday and every night was a nightmare, its suprising how little sleep you need !

• 2 weeks later...