Boots, how much???

winnie&bezza

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

Very nice. I once saw a really nice pair of deep oxblood brogues on a stall at Lowther Game Fair........£699.00. 

I do believe in paying a premium for such as Trickers and Loakes, but I have my limits. ?

Yes I like the Loakes, but as you say I too have my limits!

£650! Wow, I can't see them being any better in any way to top quality Northampton made, English Leather shoes such as those already mentioned? You can buy a top quality pair of Crockett Jones, Islay, full grain leather, brogue boots, Goodyear storm welted, with Dainite soles.......they are probably £200 cheaper too!

There is a snobbery factor, my stepdaughter definitely has it. The more you charge the more some people are prepared to pay it. Its a clever, and very subtle marketing strategy, but it does work. I think some customers believe it makes them special people. Why would a woman pay ten grand for a handbag? why does a man pay sixty grand for a watch?

8 hours ago, Scully said:

Very nice. I once saw a really nice pair of deep oxblood brogues on a stall at Lowther Game Fair........£699.00. 

I do believe in paying a premium for such as Trickers and Loakes, but I have my limits. ?

I did the same with a tweed flatcap and realised it was over £100 at a shop in Oban. I thought initially, that's not bad for a tenner! then I looked again. Clothing shops in Scotland are definitely a decimal point adrift.

I wanted a Borthwick Tartan tie for a wedding, same shop in Oban it was £40, internet £6, can't say I could see much difference in quality. I only wore it the once plus it avoided the need to wear a ********** kilt which would otherwise have been expected of me. 

Not so sure about snobbery,  I have 3 pairs of Loakes Boots. Probably about £200 a pair, but my favourite and oldest pair are still super comfortable, dry and look ok.

So they are a little like 'Triggers Brush' as in having a few soles and many many heels but they ooze quality and craftsmanship. 

I am certainly not rich, maybe only just comfortable now the kids have ******** off.

But even a lottery win wouldn't allow my head to spend more than £200 on footwear.

However my other half would just laugh at that !

1 hour ago, mickyh said:

Not so sure about snobbery,  I have 3 pairs of Loakes Boots. Probably about £200 a pair, but my favourite and oldest pair are still super comfortable, dry and look ok.

So they are a little like 'Triggers Brush' as in having a few soles and many many heels but they ooze quality and craftsmanship. 

I am certainly not rich, maybe only just comfortable now the kids have ******** off.

But even a lottery win wouldn't allow my head to spend more than £200 on footwear.

However my other half would just laugh at that !

I subscribe to the above "buy cheap, buy twice" designer and fashion gear is usually overpriced, and cheap stuff is cheap for a reason....but a quality, classic traditional garments/shoes are an investment they are not cheap, but will last many times longer than cheap carp!

5 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I subscribe to the above "buy cheap, buy twice" designer and fashion gear is usually overpriced, and cheap stuff is cheap for a reason....but a quality, classic traditional garments/shoes are an investment they are not cheap, but will last many times longer than cheap carp!

Yep; my Trickers are over twenty years old and one of my Barbour jackets is over fifteen.