Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Preserving wings

Had some shot pigeons yday but I only wanted to keep the wings to attach to a dummy in future for training the new pup :) 

I won’t be looking to introduce him to feather for a while but can’t guarantee they’ll always be around so we cut the wings off one of the birds yday, just wondering will they keep or do I need to do something that will preserve em? 

Lloyd 

Just let them dry out naturally over a few months in a ventilated space and then keep them dry. I have wings I have been using on dummies for twenty years or more.

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Just let them dry out naturally over a few months in a ventilated space and then keep them dry. I have wings I have been using on dummies for twenty years or more.

Thanks Dave 

Just mind to keep the flies off them.

A greenhouse is a handy thing for things like that, i've just dried a rabbit skin onto a small dummy for small cocker trainig (skinned rabbit like a sock so sleeves and dries tight on the dummy, felt bad killing the rabbit as very small but ideal for that dummy)

Must admit i have had bother with moths in the past, from now on u can always keep ur eye out for roadkill pheasants too

Store them in a tuppaware type box with some silica gel in a net bag. Keeps the moths away and keeps the wings dry.

14 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Inject them with formaldehyde

Possibly not a good idea. Formaldehyde is very poisonous.