Can anyone recommend a Game Book or shoot record app?

Big Al

No help on the app, but personally I think keeping records in a nice Game Book is far better. Future generations will still pick it up and gaze in wonderment at what you and we got up to today.  Example, I had a friend who was Head Keeper for a big estate and one day he was driving through the park and saw the Lady of the Manor burning stuff on a fire.  He pulled up to offer his help only to see that she was tossing old books and files into the flames. He picked up one book only to find it was a leather bound account of shooting days a hundred years before.  He asked if he could have it and it became his possession.  He lent me the game book as he knew I worked in the Solihull area and there were references to days shooting in Elmdon Park ...like 280 rabbits, 120 partridge etc etc.,  It was amazing because it related to shooting over the area now covered by the Birmingham International Airport.

I sincerely hope it is a long time before you depart this world Big Al but if the records are electronic I feel they might just get destroyed.

I have four such personal records of my 'sporting life' one old diary refers to the year 1956  Sunday January 1st   " I went a walk round our farm  and Uncle Bills farm with Bob (a mate)

and Rosa (our corgi dog) . We took the gun but didn't shoot anything.    I was fifteen years old and carrying my Grandfathers 12 gauge BSA (which I still have ) walked down the lanes and through the village and no person blinked an eye.

You definitely have a  great point there. I used to keep one years ago. Perhaps I will start again and build it into my shoot day routine to complete it. Photos etc are easier now too with digital photography. 

I have my old hardbacked diary somewhere  .....

As Walker 570 rightly says, there is nothing better than a handwritten book and one that I can fully recommend is -:

'The Country Sportman's Record Book and Journal'

This was conceived by the late John Humphreys and recently re-issued by his widow Angela. It retails at about £34, which seems expensive, but is leather bound and is beautifully illustrated by John Paley with paintings of wildlife on each page along with quotes, old and new, pertaining to country sports, again on each page.

Well worth every penny in my opinion.

I started mine in 2001 and wished that I had started it earlier. It's often referred back to, where each day in the field immediately springs back into mind. Will be priceless in my dotage when I can no longer safely venture forth with gun. Hopefully a few more entries in the book yet.

OB

I am on my third volume of shooting and fishing records started in October 1981. I have used Collins Minute Books for the last two but am not sure they are made any longer due to the digital age. When the current one is full in a few years I am not sure what I shall do. I will certainly buy another if I can find any old stock. These are heavily bound ledgers and will last forever if they are looked after so hope my grandchildren might inherit.

33 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

As Walker 570 rightly says, there is nothing better than a handwritten book and one that I can fully recommend is -:

'The Country Sportman's Record Book and Journal'

This was conceived by the late John Humphreys and recently re-issued by his widow Angela. It retails at about £34, which seems expensive, but is leather bound and is beautifully illustrated by John Paley with paintings of wildlife on each page along with quotes, old and new, pertaining to country sports, again on each page.

Well worth every penny in my opinion.

I started mine in 2001 and wished that I had started it earlier. It's often referred back to, where each day in the field immediately springs back into mind. Will be priceless in my dotage when I can no longer safely venture forth with gun. Hopefully a few more entries in the book yet.

OB

26 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I am on my third volume of shooting and fishing records started in October 1981. I have used Collins Minute Books for the last two but am not sure they are made any longer due to the digital age. When the current one is full in a few years I am not sure what I shall do. I will certainly buy another if I can find any old stock. These are heavily bound ledgers and will last forever if they are looked after so hope my grandchildren might inherit.

I think I will go with the paper one gents. I had strated on in an old black and red hardback book but found it difficult to keep it up to date.  As I said earlier I think I will build it into my shoot day routine - not quite in a leather chair at the fireside but after the dogs are fed, gun cleaned and away then write my diary. I'm looking forward to it now.

6 hours ago, motty said:

I just keep my records in an A4 diary. There is plenty of room for what I need. I wish I had started doing them earlier, but I am on my 13th book now. I can look back and read about days I had completely forgotten about.

Cheers Motty. I have found my old shooting diary and have already started recording! 

It IS hard to beat writing it down.