semis frowned upon

08shooter

guys i have to say i hate the negative publicity against semi autos.why should they be frowned upon? the biggest argument is always safety.maybe im dumb but a side by side or over and under has a trigger and a safety like my semis so why should there be a difference.i can understand them not being liked at clay shoots(in case shells hit another gun).i love my semis and prefer them to any other type but i do believe folks dislike of them to be unfair.gun safety is a priority and surely a wreckless person could be wreckless with an ou as a semi. a lot of people shoot them due to injuries etc.as i say i have been to dtl shoots and if a guy walks in he is stared at and made feel uncomfortable, i feel that all shooters should be treated equal and encouraged into the sport and if a semi is all they can afford well thenlet them at it.i know every time i go to the cabinet 9 times out of 10 i lift the semi.workhorse guns that if anything breaks i can replace the part myself. does anybody else get p***ed of with the negative attitude to semis?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys i have to say i hate the negative publicity against semi autos.why should they be frowned upon? the biggest argument is always safety.maybe im dumb but a side by side or over and under has a trigger and a safety like my semis so why should there be a difference.i can understand them not being liked at clay shoots(in case shells hit another gun).i love my semis and prefer them to any other type but i do believe folks dislike of them to be unfair.gun safety is a priority and surely a wreckless person could be wreckless with an ou as a semi. a lot of people shoot them due to injuries etc.as i say i have been to dtl shoots and if a guy walks in he is stared at and made feel uncomfortable, i feel that all shooters should be treated equal and encouraged into the sport and if a semi is all they can afford well thenlet them at it.i know every time i go to the cabinet 9 times out of 10 i lift the semi.workhorse guns that if anything breaks i can replace the part myself. does anybody else get p***ed of with the negative attitude to semis?

In a word yes, like you I enjoy my semi, its fac and not been blocked off, I just dont understand it when I get strange looks when I take up my peg at pheasant shoots :lol:???

Seriously, I have encounted a neg attitude at several clay shoots even though I use an autosafe to show it is absolutley safe.

:lol: D2D

Added later.... just to avoid confusion I was only joking about turning up with the semi :good:

Yes, snobbery thinly disguised as safety concerns and this idea that semi users don't pick up their carts.

Funny, I see more people with O/U's splashing carts all over and hardly ever see them picking up. Flip side you always see semi-auto users picking up.

No, there are many amusing if childish opportunity's to laugh at those with "semi's" [ like just then ]

"I'll bring my semi"

"I'd have hit that if I'd had a semi"

"My semi wouldn't jam like that"

"Semi's rock"

"You get that extra shot with a semi"

Oh the list goes on :good:

Guest rabgoat

my first gun was an o/u and i changed to a semi just last christmas,to be honest what i missed about the o/u was the safety going on auto when the barrels were broke down to reload,i think this feature could be a little dangerous to someone just gettin to know a gun,this took a we bit of gettin used to.but over all im pleased with the gun it's quieter and not as hard hittin on the shoulder. :good:

Yes, snobbery thinly disguised as safety concerns and this idea that semi users don't pick up their carts.

Funny, I see more people with O/U's splashing carts all over and hardly ever see them picking up. Flip side you always see semi-auto users picking up.

On experience, limited I will admit, I have to agree with the above. I've only ever not picked up one spent cart and the reason being I couldn't find the thing. Now, I also know a SBS shooter, haven't seen him pick up his carts yet, often brought it up but there's only so much ya can do. Any gun is dangerous is the user isn't safe, it's like any machine/tool the operator is the dangerous element.

to VS29 and all "semi" "auto" "vending machine " users, unfourtunatly it comes under the rules of "it aint a "purdy" didnt cost 10k" "it wont break in the middle so it has to be unsafe" "can you get radio 1 on that thing son" attitude from many of the syndicate shoots, so what, get a grip boys and girls, they are as safe as the guy holding it, everyone jumps on the "i cant see if its loaded or not", ive seen plenty of broken guns over the shoulder wit hshells in them going from stand to stand, whats the difference, if the gun is handled correctly and safely no worries.

can you imagine someone going up to big George or Faulds and saying sorry you cant come in with thingy majig it aint safe............ didnt think so either, and before you say it i know they dont use one,,,,,but theres still time,,,,, use your imagination, take a look at the states and the amount of junior and ladies shooting "semi's" now, its great, any way of promoting our sport has to be a bonus, and encouraging juniors and ladies even guys to shoot autos cant be wrong, i know a number of elderly gents here who can handle a semi but not a o/u, recoil being a little harsh on the old bones, id like to see Patrick Flannegen (<sp) knock down 10 hand thrown birds with a sxs or o/u :lol::lol: that would be amusing.

its time to get with the program, they are out there and more and more people are using them, power to you :good:

anyone banning them from shoots obviously has the right too, i cant say otherwise, but my opinion is they are cutting their nose to spite their face.

Martin

ther're onyl jealous cos you've got an extra shot!!!!....................

alot snobs thinks that shooting in a sydincate still remains the passtime of aristorcratic types with bags of money and a pair of Purdies..........

It is there ignorance, and the failure to move forward with the times taht casued thoses fleeting glances............There opinion means nothing in the real world. Enjoy you shooting...............and enjoy using the tool of you pleasure!!!!!

I would'nt read in to the idea that they are frowned on, most people who shoot and use them seem to be concious of it.

If you think that is bad I take my two on occasion to clay shoots and they in camo.

I always shoot my auto if I am duck flighting on a game day- Only because I am happier to bang steel through them.

Personally I don't have a problem with semis on clay shoots or for vermin etc but I can't ever see them being accepted on Game shoots. Three or more shots on pheasants really isn't sporting its not a snob thing but there is an element of tradition. The same applies to the way you dress on a game day you wouldn't turn up in camo.

The wonderful thing about this country is the hundreds of years of tradition and it will be a sad day if our traditions are lost. When driven game shooting we are able to savour this tradition and be part of it. Tradition has nothing to do with snobbery it is an experience to enjoy and relish.

Shotguns that "break" are part of this tradition for many reasons. When broken they show that they are safe, they give the ability to chose the amount of choke required for a particular shot and they are quick to reload.

If you chose to use a piece of gas pipe for pigeon shooting or wildfowling fair enough but why dumb down game shooting by using one for this type of shooting.

I have an auto which I use for vermin but I would not dream of taking it with me game shooting. When you can buy a second hand sbs or o/u for little money there is no excuse or reason not to use one.

Charlie

When broken they show that they are safe, they give the ability to chose the amount of choke required for a particular shot and they are quick to reload.

Charlie

Almost all new semi auto's come with multi-chokes these days Charlie, so this statement is utter rubbish in my opinion and they can be shown to be 'safe as any gun can be, be it a broken shotgun or a rifle with the bolt back and as i said earlier, not so long ago O/U were seen to be breaking traditon on a game shoot and but are now more than excepted.

I am very traditional with my Game shooting - i wear a pair of breeks, shirt, tie and jacket to match whilst out on a formal driven day, but you will soon see semi-auto's on many game shoots if they start to become a popular as O/U's did back in the early 80's.

The wonderful thing about this country is the hundreds of years of tradition and it will be a sad day if our traditions are lost. When driven game shooting we are able to savour this tradition and be part of it. Tradition has nothing to do with snobbery it is an experience to enjoy and relish.

Shotguns that "break" are part of this tradition for many reasons. When broken they show that they are safe, they give the ability to chose the amount of choke required for a particular shot and they are quick to reload.

If you chose to use a piece of gas pipe for pigeon shooting or wildfowling fair enough but why dumb down game shooting by using one for this type of shooting.

I have an auto which I use for vermin but I would not dream of taking it with me game shooting. When you can buy a second hand sbs or o/u for little money there is no excuse or reason not to use one.

Charlie

whi buy 2 when one will do?:good:

perhaps you are in that catagory of shooters I mentioned earlier in........just in disguise

wow...tradition of braking a gun.........I fear that there is much more to ity than that...

each to their own....................I just dont see what the problem is

its not a snob thing but there is an element of tradition. The same applies to the way you dress on a game day you wouldn't turn up in camo.

not if you're back gun and following a line of beaters, with a SBS or O/U you'd have them broken and safety on just in case you tripped on brambles with a semi thats not possible.

Alex has hit the nail on the head, rightly or wrongly, they are the reasons - tradition & perceived safety.

Charlie

Just to avoid confusion I don't think they have any place on a game shoot.

Clays / vermin / pigeon = fine, anything else o/u or better a sbs

When broken they show that they are safe, they give the ability to chose the amount of choke required for a particular shot and they are quick to reload.

Charlie

Almost all new semi auto's come with multi-chokes these days Charlie, so this statement is utter rubbish in my opinion and they can be shown to be 'safe as any gun can be, be it a broken shotgun or a rifle with the bolt back and as i said earlier, not so long ago O/U were seen to be breaking traditon on a game shoot and but are now more than excepted.

I am very traditional with my Game shooting - i wear a pair of breeks, shirt, tie and jacket to match whilst out on a formal driven day, but you will soon see semi-auto's on many game shoots if they start to become a popular as O/U's did back in the early 80's.

I too am a tradionalist when it comes to a driven day, its all part of the atmosphere. I think Charlie may be unaware that semis can be fitted with a C-LECT choke which I and many others have. It is possible to change the choke within seconds, with a simple twist of the wrist, if high flying pigeon for example appeard over the hide. Then revert back a more open choke as required.

With regard to safety the semi can be shown to be safe simply by inserting a rubber "Auto safe" into the chamber with the green flag showing.

:good: D2D

Charlie

Just to avoid confusion I don't think they have any place on a game shoot.

Clays / vermin / pigeon = fine, anything else o/u or better a sbs

now thats taking things a bit far I can't hit **** with a SBS :good:

Charlie

i think charlie means you can choose which barrel to fire first not multi choke options so he is quite correct,i think his entire post was spot on :good: .

btw i also shoot both but only use a semi for vermin etc.

plinker

Me I dont own a double barrelled gun , only a pump and a semi auto. And I do 70% of my shooting at clays. For the most part I dont think anyone gives a damn anymore, except for one or two duffers that are easily ignored, and quite often easily beaten too :good:

As far as driven game goes, I wouldnt take either of my guns to such a shoot, but I doubt I'd take myself either, so it doesnt really matter. Its not my cup of tea at all. Having said that, it's stil a (kind of) free country, each to thier own I say :lol: